T-Nation, Please Help Save My Football Team

Yesterday, it was announced at a press conference that the University of Waterloo Warriors (in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) football team would be canceled for the 2010 season. This comes after the entire team was tested for performance enhancing drugs in March and 9 came back positive.

Some of us on the team have a chance to play in the CFL and missing an entire season could destroy this opportunity. The focus here is academics first so just transferring is not an option for the 53 of us who tested clean. As well, if the program does come back for the 2011 season, we will have missed a year of recruits and those vets who can will have transferred.

We are still hoping with enough support we can get the administration to change their minds. What you can do is sign up for our facebook group(link below) or send emails explaining how ridiculous this is to the school administrations(emails below). I would really appreciate any support you could give me I have been a member of T-Nation for about a year and been reading the articles for a couple years, but this is my first post. We are having a press conference on Thursday and hope to be able to say we have 5000 members in our Facebook group.

Link to an article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/they-killed-the-program/article1604808/
Link to Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=130366120324499

Good luck getting your season back in the fall bud! Sorry to hear about the administration freaking out. You gotta get some better counseling to your players on passing drug screenings too! Take care of business in the classroom in the meantime, you can’t play in the CFL your whole life, and probably can’t make enough to retire on.

Thanks man. There was no way to pass the test though. They called us in for an emergency meeting at 7am, locked the doors and told us they’re testing everyone. Could only drink water they supplied, no eating or going to the washroom until the testing was done. The dream is just to be able to support myself by playing football for a couple years. The reason I can’t transfer is my program isn’t offered elsewhere and academics are still important to me.

I’d heard about this. Joined the facebook group. I’ve heard rumors elsewhere on the internet that the administration hasn’t been very supportive of the football program and may be looking at this as an excuse to shut down the team permanently. Hopefully that is not the case. It’s a giant enough pile of steaming horseshit that they’re getting rid of the team for a full year, let alone permanently.

I was shocked when this story broke. Payed administraition leavesigh those fucking cowards. I know only the details they ran on TSN. It seems like an attempt to make the players turn on themselves and police themselves by creating an environement where players will start to accuse others of fucking up their own chance to play.

What I mean is, will those players that test positive be shunned by the rest of the team at school or even off campus?..or when everything settles down and a new season starts if a player starts to show traits of steriod use but isn’t actually using, will people start to get paranoid and point fingers and cause shit for no reason. Not a positive environement.

Good luck OP.

Thanks for the support. There’s a rumor floating around that the administration doesn’t want to pay for football anymore so they are using this steroid thing as a reason to cancel it for the year and eventually permanently. We’re giving the admin to the end of the week to reverse the decision. If not a lot of the guys will be transferring.

How wonderful, now waterloo gets to be the canadian posterboys for how steroids are evil and corrupt our youth, rape babies, destroy society and all that other jazz.

Best of luck OP.

The Taylor Hooton foundation guy is having a big influence on the decision to cancel the team. (The dad whose 16 year old son committed suicide and he blames it on steroids) Anyone know of any studies examining the psychological effects of steroids?

[quote]limeninja wrote:
The Taylor Hooton foundation guy is having a big influence on the decision to cancel the team. (The dad whose 16 year old son committed suicide and he blames it on steroids) Anyone know of any studies examining the psychological effects of steroids?[/quote]

…oh fuck off. Make a new thread with “Kid commits suicide due to steroids”. See how many very intelligent people will answer you with some great links and responses. However I got none, only say that is complete crap.

[quote]limeninja wrote:
The Taylor Hooton foundation guy is having a big influence on the decision to cancel the team. (The dad whose 16 year old son committed suicide and he blames it on steroids) Anyone know of any studies examining the psychological effects of steroids?[/quote]

Hope you guys don’t have that organization on your ass. Decided to take a quick look at their website, and I found this gem in the FAQ under “Can you spot a steroid user?”

[quote]According to Dr. Harrison Pope of Harvard University, “the unique thing about steroids is that a trained eye can spot a user when they are walking in the door.”
[/quote]

That site had more anti-steroid drivel in one place than I had ever seen before.

What the fuck? An entire team was doing something that the rest of the league agreed not to do - got caught, and now they still want to play? Somebody please explain why I should be sympathetic.

Muuch delayed edit: Whooooops, I must have read your post or the article wrong.

[quote]Deorum wrote:
What the fuck? An entire team was doing something that the rest of the league agreed not to do - got caught, and now they still want to play? Somebody please explain why I should be sympathetic. [/quote]

Are you deliberately misreading or just being an asshole? Where did your premise that the entire team was doing something wrong come from?

One guy on the team was arrested for having PEDs in his home. The remaining 62 members of the football team were subsequently brought in for testing. If I’m not mistaken, of those 62, 4 admitted to doping violations without providing a sample, 3 tested positive, one refused to test and another is still under investigation, hence the 9 doping violations referenced by the OP.

The 53 players who did not test positive for any banned substance are lobbying that they be given the chance to play football at their chosen institution this coming season because they did nothing wrong.

They’ve got my sympathy.

PHD at harvard says u can spot a steroid user? Really? …cmon what is wrong with people.