T Nation

T-Nation Pilots

Any T-Nation pilots here

Started learning Feb 1st of this year. Managed to accumulate 40.5 hours in a cessna 172 over the last two months. I was flying almost everyday for the first month sometimes twice a day. Completely fell in love with it. If it weren’t for the fact that I already have been accepted to grad school I might be convinced to get my IFR and commercial license and try and make it to a major airline.

So if you’ve flown:

1. When did you start flying?/How long you’ve been flying?

I started flying February 2017. Thats just over two months.
2. Why did you start flying?

I was bored and honestly feeling kinda down. My 17 year old brother was taking lessons as an alternative to college since my Father had the foresight to realize he might not have a high aptitude for a collegiate course load.
3.What do you fly? Flown anything really unusual?

I have flown a wide variety of 172 and one 210 HP 172 xp. They all belong to the flight school and are pretty beat up. My favorite is a 35 maybe 40 year old 172 painted pink for breast cancer awareness. The 172 xp was interesting as it was the first time I flew something with a variable propeller.
3. Any crazy flying stories? Close calls you had?

Craziest storey. The fact that I am even flying is crazy because I was terrified of flying before. Every time I would go up in the beginning I would think in the middle of the lesson thats it we are landing and I am done never again. Yet I always managed to get back in the cockpit. Now I fly with confidence and authority. I have no problem flying and landing in strong crosswinds and gusty conditions. I actually enjoy the challenge. I developed confidence in the performance and capabilities of the plane.

What I enjoyed most was spin training. Its not part of the curriculum for a a PPL but I wanted to experience it since the mere thought of it made me uncomfortable and I am all about going outside my comfort zone. What a thrill it was to go from flying to stallings to pointing straight at the Earth while rotating.

After school its the best 10 k I have ever spent.

Yes, I am a pilot. It started as a matter of practicality from my step-father, who was a private pilot for a long while. He lived in NM and worked all over, but it was hard to get wherever he wanted to go. He started just flying to Midland, TX (which has a freakishly large airport for a small city) to get on a Southwest plane, then he got a bigger plane.

I followed suit after the Army after getting a large taste of flying private for oil companies. Usually in the back of a King Air, but it was so much better than commercial, especially because I am freakishly tall.

Anyway, I worked up from a 172 just like you have to now been flying a Mooney Acclaim S. I like it because it has great instruments, is a turbo, and de-icing and I live on the top of a fucking mountain. (Also, the cabin is such I could remount the pilot seat back about six inches.) Actually easier to fly than a 172 with all the electronics. (Just remember to put down your gear before landing.)

Anyway, I can make it to where ever I want to go in West Texas/New Mexico/Oklahoma in a matter of a couple of hours. Makes life much easier when you live 4 hours from the nearest major city.

Whatever you do, get instrument rated. Otherwise, you are not really a pilot. Also remember: there are old pilots, bold pilots, but no old, bold, pilots. I’m a nut about many, many things, but take zero chances when flying.

For a second there I was disappointed that no one had responded. Thats a nice plane you have there. Really nice. I looked at the performance specs on it. Must be a lot of fun to fly. All the rich fancy guys were I live fly a Cirrus. We had a pilot the other day practicing an engine out scenario in a plane with retractable gear. To avoid excessive drag in this scenario he left the landing gear up and forgot to put it down. He was one of the CFIs who pretty much all are trying to make it to a major airline. I wonder how thats going to affect his chances. One of the many reasons to always stay on top of following your checklist no matter how experienced you are.

Thats a great saying. I have heard it many times. That and its better to be on the ground wishing you were up then up wishing you were down. I spent several hours one day reading FAA incident reports to know that flying is not something to take lightly. It can be fun but minimizing risk is a must. One thing I heard somewhere and have learned to be true is that no single thing can be pointed out as having caused a catastrophic event rather it is a series of causes that lead up to the final one.

I want to get IFR rated but that would likely cost another 10k. Although my father might be buying a plane so my younger brother can accumulate hours. The goal is to get him flying commercial one day. If they get that plane then I could easily afford to. Other wise I guess I will have to deal with being half a pilot haha.