T Nation Myths?

Hello this is my first post, and i’m very glad to have come across this forum.

I read the 10 myths, my only question is he goes into saying PreWO aminos, and second protein shake will double your protein systhesis. For my first post drink I use roughly 54g protein, which I will be switching to hydrolyzed soon, with 30g dextrose. How long after the first shake should I have a second, and would I put the same amount a dextrose in it? Or at that time would my body not be in search for the replenishment and not functionally use the dextrose causing weight gain.

I currently use my PostWO shake about 2-3 hours after the gym, Is that to long to wait being I use dextrose. Or is the body searching till it gets it’s nurishment

Dear Lord face palm

That’s why the post is in the Beginner’s forum Reed :). Relax.

Frank, you seem to be confused on a few points, but the biggest is that if you are using a post work out shake, that first post workout shake needs to be drunk within the 30 after the gym, absolutely do NOT wait for 2-3 hours

The second point is that you should get most of your carbs close to the workout time, so your second shake can still continue to have carbs in it

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Frank, you seem to be confused on a few points, but the biggest is that if you are using a post work out shake, that first post workout shake needs to be drunk within the 30 after the gym, absolutely do NOT wait for 2-3 hours

The second point is that you should get most of your carbs close to the workout time, so your second shake can still continue to have carbs in it [/quote]

Haha I apologize to Frank and Aragorn I hadn’t had my nap yet and was little cranky lol.

Thanks for the response, I’m really trying to figure this stuff out. In the 10 myths Dave Barr the author, says the window after is nearly 24hrs. And I have had much better results in strength waiting. I read waiting gives your natural production of GH release extra to work. I am actually using Intermitting Fasting, 16/8 so my eating window usually starts 2 hours after the gym depending what time i get there. My body fat % dropped rapidly and I continue to to increase density, I was hoping that the dextrose flushing the protein and glucose back into the muscle was the cause. What caught me by surprise was Barr’s statement the second shake has every bit as much effect as the first if not more if timed right. That’s the huge question, how long to wait for the second, and back to the time/dextrose, if waiting 2 hours for the second, giving time for the first to digest and move in, is 4 hours after my lift a bad time for another 30-40 grams dextrose.

However he says basically depending sets, dextrose is supposed to be up near 75grams, and my first drink only has 30-40. So the second would add to equal 60-80 on the day. I’m 181 @ 10%BF, mesomorph. I’m going to try it this way, I’ll post results weekly for the next few weeks, but if anyone knows the answers based on how my current routine is that would be great to hear.

Aragorn, I do apprechiate your answer, but veiwing my timeline and results I cannot change it up right now.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

The second point is that you should get most of your carbs close to the workout time, so your second shake can still continue to have carbs in it [/quote]

Haha I apologize to Frank and Aragorn I hadn’t had my nap yet and was little cranky lol.[/quote]

Lol. No worries buddy, I do that same thing all the time

Hi Frank, welcome to the beginner’s forum. My experience has been that everybody here is very nice and supportive, even Reed when he’s not tired and cranky. What has worked for me so far might not work for you, but my timing strategy is to drink my post workout shake immediately after lifting, even before I leave the gym, then eat a meal of real food about two hours later once my stomach becomes capable of tolerating food again.

[quote]Pintsize wrote:
Hi Frank, welcome to the beginner’s forum. My experience has been that everybody here is very nice and supportive, even Reed when he’s not tired and cranky. What has worked for me so far might not work for you, but my timing strategy is to drink my post workout shake immediately after lifting, even before I leave the gym, then eat a meal of real food about two hours later once my stomach becomes capable of tolerating food again.[/quote]

That’s been easiest/best for me as well. Just throw the powder in dry before you leave, add water at the gym, chug it and go home and eat.