T-Nation: How Do You Train?

Oh know, you didn’t? Oh yes, I did! :smiley:

Everybody is different, so everybody is training according to those differences? Some people are more dedicated, some people lead busy lives, some people are hungry for being huge, some people are just hungry in search for their six pack beneath. Whatever your doing, I thought it would be good to let people in on how you train?

Things to note:
No. of days?
Reps?
Sets?
Rest intervals?
And
Your goals?

So how do YOU train?

This should be good.

I change things around on occasion but right now:

1. Straight sets- just could not get into ramping, guess straight sets are simpler.
  2. 4 days a week, no pattern to training days and off days, depends on work days.
  3. I change reps for major exercises every 2 months or so, right now 8-12
  4. Chest 10 sets, back 15 sets, legs 10 sets, Delts 15 sets, arms 10 sets x 2 a week
  5. Short rest intervals, 1 min compound moves, 30 secs arms & isolation moves
  6. Would have to say that I train for “feel”.
  7. I design my workouts around my weaknesses to give me the best X-shape as possible. I have been eating
    more lately to get bigger specifically in delts, back, and upper chest.
  8. Never to cardio or abs.
  9. Never diet or count calories, base my meals by protein and fat with no simple or processed carbs, limit
    carbs.

Mine currently:

Chest/Back
Bench Press 4x4-6
DB Rows 4x4-6
Incline DB Press 3x8-10
Lat Pulldowns 3x8-10
Machine Press 3x12-15
Machine Rows 3x12-15

Legs/Biceps
Front Squats 4x4-6
Hamstring Curls 3x8-10
Leg Extensions 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x12-15
BB Curls 4x4-6
Hammer Curls 3x8-10
Preacher Curls 3x12-15

Shoulders/Tris
Shoulder Press 4x4-6
CGBP 4x4-6
Side Lateral Raises 3x8-10
Front Lateral Raises 3x8-10
Tricep Extensions 3x8-10
Bent-over DB Raises 3x12-15
Rope Pulldowns 3x12-15

Calves: everyday
Seated Calves 4x25 OR Calf Press 4x6-8

Diet: Milk/eggs/steak/chicken/rice/pasta/fast food

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:

Everybody is different, so everybody is training according to those differences? Some people are more dedicated, some people lead busy lives, some people are hungry for being huge, some people are just hungry in search for their six pack beneath. Whatever your doing, I thought it would be good to let people in on how you train?

[/quote]
I would suggest trying to keep this brief, more extensive threads have done for the guys who truly deserve it, but this can work if we don’t get info overload.

Things to note:
No. of days? I try to keep it from 5 to 6. 7 is burnout for me.
Reps? as low as 3 or 4 and as high as 12-15 (explosive speed the last range).
Sets? everything between 7 and 15 I guess, but I don’t really count them. I have gone really high for example on back, like 8 exercises, and that without counting the traps and rear delts.
Rest intervals? when I feel ready for the next set? heck, some times I take like 30 minutes to finish. I believe most of the people who train can rest less, but this is not a race.
And
Your goals? I’ll continue to drop 'till September 15 where I’ll have a photo shoot, rest a few days and then blow up 'till my gains become really slow.

So how do YOU train? I try to give every time I go to the gym maximum congestion to my muscles.

Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Chest/Shoulders
Back/Legs

2-3 exercises per muscle, 3-4 sets per exercise, 4-12 reps per set.
I also try and do a leg exercise every day then go hard on leg day.

Currently trying to bring up a few weak parts, so I have a 6 day rotation:

1-Upper chest / Gastroc
2-Legs / lower back
3-Delts/Traps/Tris
4-Lower/Mid Chest / Soleus
5-Legs / abs
6-Back / bis

I take rest days as I need, usually 1 or 2 a week, but sometimes none if I feel like all cylinders are firing. I alternate between doing a couple of exercises for a lot of sets with doing multiple exercises for fewer sets. Obviously I also have to keep an eye on the volume I use for chest and legs because of the increased frequency I am utilizing (you can only do so much before it becomes counterproductive).

Lately I have been training with a stop watch, keeping my rest periods to around 2:30 min between sets. I do not always train in this manner, but I feel it is allowing me to push some heavier weight, and hopefully thicken up a bit more this offseason.

Calorie wise, I average about 3000 a day, obviously well going over some days, but 90% of my diet is still clean and geared towards quality gains. If I have one ‘cheat’ meal a day, I make sure it is the only ‘bad’ thing for that day.

S

Unless this thread is directed at people who have actually built themselves up, I do not see how it could help anyone else. No one cares what some newb has done in the gym if they have 14" arms.

Dathibluline would be someone to ask…not EVERYONE who hits this site since most don’t even seem to be building much at all.

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:

Things to note:
No. of days?
Reps?
Sets?
Rest intervals?
And
Your goals?

So how do YOU train?[/quote]

5 Days a week, one circuit training day on weekend,

3 week cycle usually, week 1 4x4 @ 85% max, week 2 3x6 @ 65% max, week 3 3x 10 as heavy as possible

1010 tempo for the first and third week, 3x6 week is 30X1 tempo,

2 mins between sets on weeks 1 and 3, 2 - 3 mins on week 2

Want to gain 25 more lbs in 6 months, then “refine” (aka CUT) once i hit mid 260 lbs, then compete nati

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Unless this thread is directed at people who have actually built themselves up, I do not see how it could help anyone else. No one cares what some newb has done in the gym if they have 14" arms.

Dathibluline would be someone to ask…not EVERYONE who hits this site since most don’t even seem to be building much at all.[/quote]

Im at 235 right now with 10-11% BF, pretty decent IMHO

and my arms are 17’’ cold, nearly 18 after arms day

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Dathibluline would be someone to ask…not EVERYONE who hits this site since most don’t even seem to be building much at all.

Im at 235 right now with 10-11% BF, pretty decent IMHO

and my arms are 17’’ cold, nearly 18 after arms day[/quote]

Then that would put you with the other 5% who actually see progress on this site.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Dathibluline would be someone to ask…not EVERYONE who hits this site since most don’t even seem to be building much at all.[/quote]

Agreed. You wouldn’t go into a gym and ask everyone in there how they train. Any info about someones training is useless unless it is accompanied by a picture of the trainee. Except for a few people who have been around here for a long time and have shown that they definitely know what they are talking about.

i train 5 days per week, and add in a sixth depending on how i feel.
i do almost complete supersets as im trying to thin down, im a fat boy.
chest/back mondays
shoulders/arms tuesdays
legs wednedays
chest/back thursday
shoulders/arms fridays
saturday is circus day but i always add in some legs

Goals- get bigger and stronger. duh.

Workout is a modified WS4SB routine

4x a week, every other day.

Day 1
Incline bench working up to a 2-3 rep max
Flat Neutral Grip DB presses 6-10 reps, 3 sets
Bent-over BB row, 12-15 reps, 3 sets
Reverse DB flies, 12 reps, 2 sets
Standing cable row to midsection (only way to describe it), 20 reps, 4 sets, going up in weight each set

Day 2 off or cardio

Day 3
Deadlift working up to a 2-3 rep max
Squats, 15-20 reps, 3 sets

Day 4 off or cardio

Day 5
Flat Bench, max reps on moderate weight, usually 3 sets
Rope Push Down, 6-10 reps, 4 sets
Neutral Grip Pull-Ups, 8-12 reps, usually 3 sets
A curl variation, whichever one I choose to do (usually kept simple), 8-12 reps, 4 sets

Day 6 off

Repeat

170lbs, eating at least 4k calories a day, 17 inch arms cold

Currently, I train every other day, DC style with 30 min of SSC either in the morning or post lift. On off days I do HIIT or sprints. I do abs and forearms every lifting day.

Balls to the wall.

hard!

how do i train? it changes all the time based on my body and its response…i have a nice little routine working now, but afraid it will start to slow down from a gains perspective soon…trying to figure out the next wave…

[quote]alit4 wrote:
hard![/quote]

If only you’d be pressing a barbell overhead in that avatar, rather than a kettlebell, then we could actually believe you.

Just kidding :wink:

honestly i dont

but this website is good for talking about things id like to do