T Nation

T-Nation Gym

So I was in between sets of squats today and in my light headed thinking thought of what T-Nation’s gym would be like if all the members and writers worked out there… what kind of equipment atmosphere music etc thought it would be a cool topic to see what you guys think!

No frat curl would be allowed.
At least a gym where the owner doesn’t put up the radio and it keeps playing girly songs while you DL.

You get girly tunes wow! My gym has the radio on so most of the time its just radio talk!!

floor space = 20,000 sq. ft.

10 of each type of bench

15 power cages + squat racks

chin up bars all over the place including power rings hanging from the ceiling at random places (and the ceiling is 50 ft high)

you know those candy machines where you put in a quarter and get a handful of some colourful candy? lots of those but instead of candy they dispense a random assortment of Biotest products (the royal sampler)

some sort of industrial oxygen pump and circulation system working full time

classic rock cd’s, no commercials, and the song ‘I Want To Take You Higher’ by Sly and the Family Stone plays every 30 minutes

indoor track

various stretching machines not unlike the one the old guy puts van damme on in bloodsport

platinum dumbells, so dense that they’re heavy without being large and awkward

enormous black/white posters of the old-time bodybuildings hanging everywhere

open 24 hours

at random intervals a cheerleading squad runs in and gives free Grow! to the 10 people working out hardest

that’s all for now

Platinum dumbells: Interesting. Can you imagine the membership fees of that place?

I’d settle for squat racks with no curlers inside. And no pastel-colored plastic weights anywhere. I swear, just looking at those things lowers testosterone levels.

that was awesome dr feelgood.

I really like the cheerleading squad!

[quote]Dr_Feelgood wrote:

10 of each type of bench

chin up bars all over the place including power rings hanging from the ceiling at random places (and the ceiling is 50 ft high)

you know those candy machines where you put in a quarter and get a handful of some colourful candy? lots of those but instead of candy they dispense a random assortment of Biotest products (the royal sampler)

classic rock cd’s, no commercials, and the song ‘I Want To Take You Higher’ by Sly and the Family Stone plays every 30 minutes

indoor track

various stretching machines not unlike the one the old guy puts van damme on in bloodsport

open 24 hours

at random intervals a cheerleading squad runs in and gives free Grow! to the 10 people working out hardest

that’s all for now
[/quote]

You definately have the right idea! Also, no squat rack curls. It would by Grow! and Surge delivered by tap. All Biotest supplements would dispensed from wall-mount bottles. Massage would be performed by awesome T-Vixens. It would have a restraunt with a John Berardi designed menu, where every thing on the plate fit together.

People doing yoga in the squat rack would be drawn and quartered

When I get my Training Center started it will have the following, atleast to start with. This means after I get it out of my garage, so it will be a couple of years.

Squat racks with band attachments and pull up attachments
competition style benches
platforms
dumbells
sled
heavy bag
speed bag
various bars
bumper plates
grappler
GHR
Reverse Hyper
Lifting music

After I get settled and can afford it:
Power Runner
Hurricane
Landmine
Uppercut bag
Some basic strongman equipment(stones, tires, kegs)
other stuff I cant think of right now but I have it written down somewhere.

If I get enough interest from these type of people I will have:
An area for fighters to spar and train
something set up for firemen

Obviously I have to graduate first but it will be going. It will be small but it wont matter because the pussies have to watch from outside…oh wait they can’t, no windows(or air conditioning). But I will give you a fan. The question is, which one of you lucky bastards will have this training center in your area?

[quote]Dr_Feelgood wrote:

10 of each type of bench

indoor track

open 24 hours

that’s all for now
[/quote]

i vote perfect.

One day I will open up a gym called the “Iron Pit”. It will have a huge steel door with an iron grid or two, and people would have to scan their cards or it won’t open. I will have everything mostly automated to the point of controlling all from my house or office by remote and cameras. Its floor will be made of heavy duty rubber, and there will be an area of complete padding for the OL’rs who toss the weights around. Many rubber weight stations, indoor sled track/tire arena as well as climbing rope and wall. Several rooms with different music playing loud like in a club. People will bring earplugs instead of headphones. Actually it will have a jukebox system where people pay for favorite tunes a quarter. And the whole place will be very dark. There will be like 2 treadmills. The showers will be most prison-like and resemble a car wash too. When people get out, they step out onto a floor with heat coming from fans below and from the ceiling to dry them off fast. The salespeople will actually try to get people NOT so sign up, ensuring that only the toughest get through the process of getting a membership.

Another gym I want to own one day would resemble a Prince of Persia 1995 version type maze where agility and strength as well as endurance and performance will be tested as people leap and jump over foam spikes and precipices, and battle each other with padded poles on narrow walkways.

everything Dr_Feelgood said but also a field outside for strongman workouts and gpp. platform and bumper plates for olympic lifts. seminar room for the writers of this site to come and educate us, when they can of course.

Besides the power cages and bumper plates, I think the ideal gym should have atlas stones, lifting logs, anvils, sledgehammers for leverage work, sandbags, kegs and barrels, farmer’s walk implements, yokes, medicine balls, gymnastics rings, kettlebells, chinese stone padlocks, and those heavy versions of indian clubs, giant flipping tires, dragging sleds, bending nails, horseshoes, and frying pans for rolling.

Also, it should look like Zuver’s Gym from 1960’s California.

Don’t forget OL platforms, height gauges, climbing ropes. A spring-loaded gymnastics floor would be nice, too.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Platinum dumbells: Interesting. Can you imagine the membership fees of that place?
[/quote]

Yeah, that stuff’s more expensive than gold.

But I figure T-Nation would somehow cut out the middleman and get it dirt cheap.