T-Nation Guitar Players' Thread

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I didn’t realise that Paul Gilbert dude was the guitarist for Mr Big.

When I googled how to shred a couple of weeks ago, there was a site saying your first lesson to master the advanced technique is to learn the opening riff to Colorado Bulldog.

I listened to the first 30 seconds and realised I was more of an intermediate guitar player than advanced…[/quote]
Haha I’m not a real “shred” fan myself. That’s why I asked if you just wanted to play really fast.

Check out Paul and Marty Friedman jamming. Skip to 5.45

You don’t really have to learn to “shred” to play like this.[/quote]

That was unreal! I can definitely hold my own when it comes to playing guitar, but I want to be able to do the ridiculous fretboard acrobatics from 80s hair metal!

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
^^Haha, good old Nuno, forgot about him!

That Paul Gilbert thing was immense! Notice how all these dudes use Ibanez guitars? Maybe that’s the secret. Nothing to do with practice or whatever, just buy an Ibanez.

Wish I hadn’t spent the last couple of decades cultivating a Gibson fetish now.[/quote]
I can’t play with the standard Ibanez neck. It’s too thin for me. My vibrato goes to shit.[/quote]

I’ve never played an Ibanez but my tiny girly hands are probably better suited to a thinner neck. My Gibson neck definitely feels slimmer than other Gibsons I’ve had. It’s definitely thinner than the SG I used to have

Just a couple of masters at work. I know this thread isn’t supposed to be this, but… Trying to get some life in here.

How are you liking the new axe now you’ve had it a while?

I’m flirting with the idea of putting new pots and maybe even pick ups in my Gibson but I’m scared

The Michael Kelly? Love it. I’m going to likely swap out the bridge pickup eventually, but the guitar itself is very much my favorite.

I picked up an Epiphone SG 66 reissue the other day, because Guitar Center had it marked as the wrong model and I got it for $250. Just got in all the new hardware and wiring, pots etc to do the bulk of my upgrades. It’s going to be pimp when I’m done.

Ended up going with the Tonerider Rocksong pickups.

I’m also quite nervous, lol. I’ve never soldered a thing. Going with the “vintage” or “50’s wiring”, with coil split volumes.

I was considering some 57 classic pups in my Gibson, but I honestly don’t even know why. I love the tone I get from my 490/498 combo (I usually have both active when I play) so it’s probably a dumb idea to fuck with it, I just really like the idea of having customised my guitar a bit. Seth Lovers or Pearly Gates seem like they’d be what I was after, too, but it’s a bit of a pain in the arse to buy them, install them and then potentially not even like them and go back to my original pups. Decisions, decisions…

Mate of mine bought a cheap epiphone SG and stuck a couple of those crazy Dimebag Darrell pups in it. It screams like a banshee when it goes anywhere near an amp.

My next guitar: either an Ibanez Jem, a flying V or a Nighthawk…

I’m either putting a PG or an Antiquity in the bridge of my MK Les Paul. The Custom Custom is too much EVH for me, too little low end crunch. It’s really hot and distorts really fast… I love the PG in the neck, my favorite pickup of all time. I seen a dude online that “hand winds” a duanebucker, which is right up my alley but shit is expensive lol.

As a bedroom player, I don’t need to worry about this lol. The Toneriders are the higher end of budget I could find. $95 for the pair. They are cheaper if your in Europe, they are a British company. Their stuff sounds good far as I can tell.

I wouldn’t put them in a $1,000 guitar though. A $250 one? Hell’s yeah.

I get you, man, I’m just trying to stay away from customising my guitar for the sake of customising it, y’know? I play it through a Marshall JCM2000 and the overdriven tone is awesome.

I’ve been on a mad pedal shopping kick lately, god damn there’s a lot of cool pedals out there. Not a cheap hobby

So… Popped my wiring cherry…

Only issue is my neck tone shorts at zero. Around 2 I get dat der “woman tone” but roll it down to zero and the crackles and goes back to wide open. Oh well. Even the coil taps work.

Really happy with the way it came out looks wise, the wiring is a mess and looks like a bowl of spaghetti, but it works so, fuck it.

Any of you have any experience with the guitar fetish necks, the new XGP parts in particular.

Price seems way too good to be true.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XGP-Strat-Style-Neck-Maple-Abalone-Fingerboard-Bound-Angled-Headstock-_p_18550.html

it’s purdy, but you’re going to need a very specific colour and finish of guitar for it to look right

Yeah, I’ll probably get the rosewood one.

Blue body, black pickguard. Strat.

I think if I had a light coloured strat I’d get the maple with a satin finish. That’d look pretty nice

Nasty semi-legato chromatic pentatonic lick thingy. Kbye.

You’d be proud of me, Steely. I’m teaching myself the solo to Nothin’ But A Good Time by Poison. You could probably play it in your sleep but it’s about the very limit of my ability at the moment.

Yogi_ – Good for you, man! Do it! That’s a fun solo, some good runs in there!

absolutely. I’ve totally fallen in love with lead guitar again after neglecting it for so long.

My other project is Gloryhole by Steel Panther! Haha

Put an SH-1 in the bridge of my Michael Kelly LP knockoff.

I’m in love. Also upgraded the pots, fixed the bridge ground and rewired it to “vintage” scheme and it brightened up the guitar beautifully.

I’m in love with the SH-1. Don’t sleep on this pickup. Just because it isn’t $120 doesnt’ mean it isn’t nice, lol.

It coil splits like shit though.

Edit: through a marshal sim and with a cranked up over drive it has a distinctive “slash” vibe to it, which could also be me and the way I’ve been playing lately. Addicted to the man right now. Appetite and his most recent “Live at the Roxy” with the Conspirators has been on constant rotation in my world.

Lunchtime legato practice. Just starting to (re)learn some Satriani. “Not of this Earth”.

15 sec “IG” snippet.

I’ve been practising the shit out of those legato triplets lately and it’s driving me crazy!

Awesome stuff. Satriani’s legato is always humbling, because the hand strength needed for a lot of his finger stretching shit is tough to come by. Seems to take years of doing it constantly to just be able to do it at leisure.

Quick question for anybody who’s savvy with recording straight to a laptop/PC with a focusrite or something of the likes. What am I required to have to get decent recording sounds? I’m aware it comes with a USB, but do I needed to mic my own amp if I want a good sound? Considering if I don’t, would the default sound be shit and void of tone customization?