T-Nation Guitar Players' Thread

Are chords like Edim the same as Edim7? The chord index I am looking at only has Edim7 and in some sites they look the same in others different.

http://chordguide.com/guitar/chords.asp

So many chords but, no dim anything only dim7. I like using it because I can make my own charts to print out.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

Are chords like Edim the same as Edim7? The chord index I am looking at only has Edim7 and in some sites they look the same in others different.

So many chords but, no dim anything only dim7. I like using it because I can make my own charts to print out.[/quote]

try this website

The 7 indicates the use of the 7th note. Additionally, there is a Major 7th (Eb flat) and Minor 7th (D).

So you have a Edim chord,
then you have a Edim7(maj) which is Edim with the Eb introduced,
then you have a Edim7mi which is the Edim chord with a D note thrown inā€¦

ā€¦If I recall correctly, any corrections to what I just said are welcomed and appreciated :slight_smile:

Can we talk bass here too :stuck_out_tongue:

just picked up one of these off Craigslist for $255 with a nice softshell case to boot! Itā€™s in mint functional/mechanical condition and its the nicest bass Iā€™ve ever had!

It sounds incredible, super easy to play and easy to record (on board preamp sounds way awesome). I wasnā€™t looking for a 5 string but it was too nice to pass up.

In january I picked up a 2009 MacBook for $260 off Craigslist, and I record with Garageband which is plenty of recording power for myself at the moment. I use a Yeti Blue USB Microphone.

As for My guitar I have a 2011 Carvin DC127 which I got for $1236 shipped. Which I am still ecstatic about to this day.

Anybody have any all original songs recorded that we can share?

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

So many chords but, no dim anything only dim7. I like using it because I can make my own charts to print out.[/quote]

try this website

The 7 indicates the use of the 7th note. Additionally, there is a Major 7th (Eb flat) and Minor 7th (D).

ā€¦If I recall correctly, any corrections to what I just said are welcomed and appreciated :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thanks, that site I was using has a lot of missing chords and unnecessary finger placings.

Just starting to look into open tunings, any recommendations on chord charts and tuning guides? I was looking at a jam play but, do not think the finger placings are correct on some of the chords.

Just starting to look into open tunings, any recommendations on chord charts and tuning guides? I was looking at a jam play but, do not think the finger placings are correct on some of the chords.[/quote]

I love open and alt tunings. I broke a string on my acoustic some weeks ago, tuned around it and have some songs stubbed out. Iā€™ll try to get one posted.

If you tune non-standard, then, correct, your chord shapes will change accordingly.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

try this website

[/quote]
An E diminished implies minor, and usually is, so the 7th would be the dominant 7th, D, the 7th step in the Aeolian or Dorian mode. If you were to add the D#, thatā€™s the maj7 in the Ionian (major type) mode. If you do that, youā€™ve made what the jazz guys call the major/minor chord. Not real useful, doesnā€™t sound very nice.
Sorry for the lecture, but to close, if itā€™s diminished itā€™s almost always the dom7, in this case ā€œDā€.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Just starting to look into open tunings, any recommendations on chord charts and tuning guides? I was looking at a jam play but, do not think the finger placings are correct on some of the chords.[/quote]

I love open and alt tunings. I broke a string on my acoustic some weeks ago, tuned around it and have some songs stubbed out. Iā€™ll try to get one posted.

If you tune non-standard, then, correct, your chord shapes will change accordingly.[/quote]

I just realized that I think I read xXSā€™s post incorrectly. Sounds like the chord charts were not adjusted for the tuning?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

If you tune non-standard, then, correct, your chord shapes will change accordingly.[/quote]

I just realized that I think I read xXSā€™s post incorrectly. Sounds like the chord charts were not adjusted for the tuning?
[/quote]

Yeah some of them were off or more complicated than they should be.

Another question.

I am learning chord progressions using https://autochords.com/ as you can see it lists the chords in each key in both major and minor.

Now there are obviously lot more chords than that, is there a way to check/know what chords will sound good in a key or is it just a matter of learning as many chords as you can and trying them out?

Hope that makes sense.

Another question.

I am learning chord progressions using https://autochords.com/ as you can see it lists the chords in each key in both major and minor.

Now there are obviously lot more chords than that, is there a way to check/know what chords will sound good in a key or is it just a matter of learning as many chords as you can and trying them out?

Hope that makes sense.[/quote]
I didnā€™t bother to follow the link you posted, it may be good, may not. Hereā€™s the answer to all of your musical questions:
The Harmonized Chord Scale. Learn it for
Ionian
Mixolydian
Dorian
Aolean
These are the 4 major keys used. It may seem complicated, but itā€™s not. Start with the Ionian (major type scale)
The gist of it is: Chords must be made of notes in the scale.

Another question.

check this out: Musical Scale Info: D ionian

It gives chords that fit in a certain scale.

And another.

In regard to open tunings is it better to first have a good understanding of standard tuning? Would it get hard to try and remember chords for all?

I find that I am drawn to alternate tunings as opposed to standard.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

Another question.

check this out: Musical Scale Info: D ionian

It gives chords that fit in a certain scale.
[/quote]

That is helpful.

Iā€™m no shredder like some of you guys, but this is one of the tunes I am working on.

[quote]BossKean wrote:
Iā€™m no shredder like some of you guys, but this is one of the tunes I am working on.

[/quote]

Fuck that was great!

Thanks man!

[quote]BossKean wrote:
Thanks man![/quote]

Agreed! Get it on Itunes. Iā€™d buy it.

Heres a little compilation of some lead stuff i filmed while messing around yesterday. First time ive really played guitar seriously since April. Cut a tendon and nerve in my right hand on April 13th and havent been to the gym or played the guitar really since. Hand is finally good enough to play again, although its hard to hold a pick and play fast when you have no feeling in your index finger lol. Cant go back to the gym for another 2 weeks but at least thisll hold me over until then.

Its Unforgiven, Call of the Ktulu and Ride the Lightning followed by Bob Marleyā€™s Waiting in Vain. Couldnt remember some of the metallica stuff so i improvised a bit, so youll have to excuse if its not note for note.

Also, ive lost 24 lbs since cutting my hand so be nice, its a tender topic for me right now. LOL

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

Fuck that was great![/quote]

X2