T-Nation Guitar Players' Thread

[quote] SkyNett wrote:
Got a new web cam! This thing is awesome - 1080p, can go direct or has a built in mic (this is direct using my POD UX-1 ).

New HD Webcam Test - YouTube [/quote]

Nice! My eardrums were trembling.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote] SkyNett wrote:
Got a new web cam! This thing is awesome - 1080p, can go direct or has a built in mic (this is direct using my POD UX-1 ).

New HD Webcam Test - YouTube [/quote]

Nice! My eardrums were trembling.[/quote]

Thanks!! : )

Apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread, but can you guys talk about how you got to your current level of playing?

1. How do you practice? Scales, songs, modes, riffs, other?
  2. How frequently and for how long do you practice?
  3. Do you (or have you) used any method books, or any other books you could recommend?
  4. Did you study with a teacher?
  5. Anything else

Thanks!

Justin Sandercoe aka justinguitar and Marty Schwartz aka martyzsongs both have a lot of really good lessons on YouTube and their individual sites. Definitely good stuff for learning/practicing new stuff.

[quote]BossKean wrote:
Justin Sandercoe aka justinguitar and Marty Schwartz aka martyzsongs both have a lot of really good lessons on YouTube and their individual sites. Definitely good stuff for learning/practicing new stuff.[/quote]

JustinGuitar was a fantastic resource for me when i first started playing. Once i became even half-way decent i found his website to be pretty useless to me, but at the beginner level its an awesome tool.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

JustinGuitar was a fantastic resource for me when i first started playing. Once i became even half-way decent i found his website to be pretty useless to me, but at the beginner level its an awesome tool. [/quote]

What took you from half-way decent to where you are now?

Just purchased this http://www.gallinsmps.com.au/epiphone-lp-special-ii-player-pack-eb.html

New guitar player on the block. no videos for a while but!

I picked up a new axe - a candy apple blue Charvel San Dimas strat. Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck position. Great guitar - super fast neck, a wide, flat fretboard - itā€™s a shred machine.

Hereā€™s my test drive vid -

And my Mississippi Queen cover using it.

1080p and crank it! : )

I know this has been done to death, but the surehandedness of this little girl blew me like really away. (what is it with young girls getting into guitar lately?)

Did not want to start a new thread so, I figured I would ask here.

I noticed that most of the posters here play electric guitars. Would someone looking to play strictly acoustic regiment/practice differently? Would they style of music?

What would be a good way to practice or set-up a schedule?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

I noticed that most of the posters here play electric guitars. Would someone looking to play strictly acoustic regiment/practice differently? Would they style of music?

[/quote]

Itā€™s a guitarā€¦

Play it, practice it just like any other guitar, instrument, or thing you want to get good at.

Any advice in this thread given for electric guitar applies to acoustic guitars, electric bass, violin, cello, tuba, ā€¦, n.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

Itā€™s a guitarā€¦

Play it, practice it just like any other guitar, instrument, or thing you want to get good at.

Any advice in this thread given for electric guitar applies to acoustic guitars, electric bass, violin, cello, tuba, ā€¦, n.
[/quote]
Jews Harp?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

Itā€™s a guitarā€¦

[/quote]
Jews Harp?
[/quote]

Yep, Jaw Harp and Kazoo, too.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

[/quote]

Nice! Are you just playing along with the song, or do you like take out the guitar track somehow?

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

[/quote]

Nice! Are you just playing along with the song, or do you like take out the guitar track somehow?
[/quote]

Lots of backing tracks for guitar on youtube if you are looking for them.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I know this has been done to death, but the surehandedness of this little girl blew me like really away. (what is it with young girls getting into guitar lately?)

Trained monkeys learning off tab isnā€™t impressive. All you gotta have is a lot of timeā€¦
Soul, feel, originality, thatā€™s far more important. Other than guitar players who like technical guitar players no one caresā€¦because it doesnā€™t speak to them, as the playing lacks emotion, hence no emotional connection with the audience.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Lots of backing tracks for guitar on youtube if you are looking for them.
[/quote]

Thanksā€¦Iā€™m kinda 20th Century.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Sen!

It is a backing track with most of the guitar tracks removed.

Check here - http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

Havenā€™t played in awhile and was feeling ambitious so I found this backing track and did one take. Fuck it, good enough :wink:

This is my homemade strat straight into the Carvin with a little delay recorded with my crappy phone.