T-Nation Guitar Players' Thread

I was going to try to learn this song but I assume it is tuned way down and I have struggled in the past trying tune any lower than drop D :frowning:

Maybe one of you guys could make a guess as to what tuning it is in. Apologize in advance if itā€™s a lame question. I canā€™t seem to find a single tab anywhere on the net to help me learn to play it.

Thy Will Be Done - You, the Apathy Divine - YouTube

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

When you have a neck that fat what kind of sound are you tying to get out of it? Is it more of a heavy rythym guitar for rock or metal?

[/quote]

The thickness of the neck has more to do with feel and sustain than the ā€˜soundā€™. I donā€™t like super thin necks, so thicker feels/plays better. I believe a big hunk of wood for a neck helps to improve sustain (given other factors like nut/bridge/pickups). Thatā€™s a great point of debate (like fat vs full house lol).

I just got back from 2 weeks in Toronto, so Iā€™m going to try to get the hardware put on that neck this weekend. I been thinking about it the whole time![/quote]

Gotcha. When I see heavy I think heavy sound. I was surprised the first time I picked up an SG. Black Sabbath was so heavy I assumed the guitar would weigh a ton. BTW Sabbath album is expected to be out in June. Crossing my fingers itā€™s good.

Hope your still enjoying TO.

Also Iā€™ve been going through my old GW magazines and found a dog eared issue of ā€œThe Top 50 Heaviest Riffs of All Timeā€ It was from 1995 I believe.

I will post them if anyone is interested.

Inna Gada Da Vida is one of them. Vanilla Fudge is in there too lol.

Good gracious heavens!!! This girl is no joke. Kinda cute n shy too. LOL!

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Good gracious heavens!!! This girl is no joke. Kinda cute n shy too. LOL!

I was honestly looking at the rig behind her more than the chick.

Iā€™m sure what you mean, but sheā€™s 16 and rather exceptionally talented I would say. Thatā€™s not her kit. Thatā€™s the Jam Tracks studio.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Iā€™m sure what you mean, but sheā€™s 16 and rather exceptionally talented I would say. Thatā€™s her kit. Thatā€™s the Jam Tracks studio.[/quote]

I like her.

However, for some reason, I find it painful to watch her play. I think itā€™s the forced stretches. Obviously it works for her. Iā€™ll just listen and not watch :wink:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Iā€™m sure what you mean, but sheā€™s 16 and rather exceptionally talented I would say. Thatā€™s her kit. Thatā€™s the Jam Tracks studio.[/quote]

I like her.

However, for some reason, I find it painful to watch her play. I think itā€™s the forced stretches. Obviously it works for her. Iā€™ll just listen and not watch ;)[/quote]

Definitely lacks a certain grace. Great player though.

Sheā€™s a kid guys =]
Well she has small hands to begin with, but I think Steely what you mean is how she reaches with her middle finger when you would think just using the ring finger would be easier. I did see that, but just thought it was the way she learned. I doubt if anybody taught her that. Try this, but not surprisingly, no relief from those index/middle stretches here lol.

EDIT: She seems a bit wooden and nervous, but this is great jazz guitar by anybodyā€™s standards.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Sheā€™s a kid guys =]
Well she has small hands to begin with, but I think Steely what you mean is how she reaches with her middle finger when you would think just using the ring finger would be easier. I did see that, but just thought it was the way she learned. I doubt if anybody taught her that. Try this, but not surprisingly, no relief from those index/middle stretches here lol.
[/quote]

Oh, dude, sheā€™s absolutely amazing. Just makes me cringe watching her :wink: Hey, whatever works!

Beautiful phrasing and great tone.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Sheā€™s a kid guys =]
[/quote]

Oh, dude, sheā€™s absolutely amazing. Just makes me cringe watching her :wink: Hey, whatever works!

[/quote]

I agree. Definitely got a ways to go before im playing like that.

Upon watching that second video, its actually her picking hand that really bugs me to watch. It just seems so rigid and unnatural, like she shouldnt be that accurate with how stiff her hand looks.

Actually, now that Steely has me really watchin, I think her hands are just small. Sheā€™s not actually fingering the strings much of the time with that middle finger. Not that it matters, but Iā€™m neurotic like that.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Sheā€™s a kid guys =]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Upon watching that second video, its actually her picking hand that really bugs me to watch. It just seems so rigid and unnatural, like she shouldnt be that accurate with how stiff her hand looks.
[/quote]

Jason Becker used to pick like that. I think itā€™s cos for some find it hard to alternate pick fast enough using only the wrist so a bit of upper arm is needed.

Her technique is impeccable though.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Sheā€™s a kid guys =]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jason Becker used to pick like that. I think itā€™s cos for some find it hard to alternate pick fast enough using only the wrist so a bit of upper arm is needed.

Her technique is impeccable though. [/quote]

Jason Becker liked to anchor his fingers so it was a little stiff looking for sure, but most of the movement was still coming from the wrist.

Zakk Wylde is one that fucking kills me. Watching his right hand makes me want to punch him in the face cause it just seems like he shouldnt be able to play that good the way he holds his picking hand.

If you watch her closely, her right hand technique is actually quite efficient.

Yeah, Zakk is brutal. Drunken Viking battleram pentatonic bull in china shop.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Sheā€™s a kid guys =]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jason Becker liked to anchor his fingers so it was a little stiff looking for sure, but most of the movement was still coming from the wrist.

Zakk Wylde is one that fucking kills me. Watching his right hand makes me want to punch him in the face cause it just seems like he shouldnt be able to play that good the way he holds his picking hand. [/quote]

Yeah I agree about most movement coming from the wrist but the upper arm movement is there during certain parts when he alternate picks fast. I actually anchor my arm like this due to learning some bad techique from the start and people i asked couldnā€™t really tell when i was using mostly upper arm.

The Zakk Wylde comment made me lol. I wanna punch him and take his guitar too haha.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Sheā€™s a kid guys =]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Zakk Wylde is one that fucking kills me. Watching his right hand makes me want to punch him in the face cause it just seems like he shouldnt be able to play that good the way he holds his picking hand. [/quote]

Yeah I agree about most movement coming from the wrist but the upper arm movement is there during certain parts when he alternate picks fast. I actually anchor my arm like this due to learning some bad techique from the start and people i asked couldnā€™t really tell when i was using mostly upper arm.

The Zakk Wylde comment made me lol. I wanna punch him and take his guitar too haha.[/quote]

Im not too big on the guitar, but i betd it fetch a pretty penny.

I dont know how the F you guys can play with an anchor. Ive tried it to see if it helped with fast runs and shit but it destroys my accuracy.

If im trying to alternate pick very fast i will use my forearm/elbow but usually only when picking on a single string.

Interesting - I tend to speed pick with my wrist, but my forearm is moving too - itā€™s definitely not rigid. Just did this vid to seeā€¦

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Interesting - I tend to speed pick with my wrist, but my forearm is moving too - itā€™s definitely not rigid. Just did this vid to seeā€¦

Hey SkyNett - if you just videoed to check, why take time to put on spandex pants first? hehe

I find I canā€™t pick very fast wrist only, but I thought the solution to that was supposed to be moving the pick in an oval pattern. I tend to anchor with pinky also.

While on the topic of pick hand technique that shouldnā€™t workā€¦Willie Adler from Lamb of God has a strange style.

[quote]treco wrote:
Hey SkyNett - if you just videoed to check, why take time to put on spandex pants first? hehe

I find I canā€™t pick very fast wrist only, but I thought the solution to that was supposed to be moving the pick in an oval pattern. I tend to anchor with pinky also.
[/quote]

Ha haā€¦dude, the scary part is that once upon a time, spandex were worn by meā€¦