T-Nation Guitar Players' Thread

HEre you go lmao

And…

Damn dude! I’m sorry that had to happen.

The only upside is that there’s an incredible feeling you get when you haven’t played in a while and start up again. Every lick you can play suddenly sounds amazing. Of course then after like a full day of playing it’s boring again but at least briefly that’s going to be fun!

1 Like

Just seeing this - wow but the bright spot is you kept the digit.
Best wishes to full recovery.

picked up an old Boss SD-1 overdrive. I know Boss pedals’ reputation, but had never bothered with them before.

Love it! Sounds amazing. Really thick but transparent enough to sound out all the individual notes.

What amp are you running through?

Also, just general guitar question, I play a strat but my finger tips are fat as fuck and I have huge hands for my height, and since I enjoy shred guitar, my technical ability has far surpassed my knowledge of guitar and general gear. Any ideas on a guitar with large frets and a big neck but still has good high end single coil sounds? Obviously if budget wasn’t an issue I’d try to buy a fancy Shawn Lane-esque Charvel or something. I’ll end up making a trip soon to a guitar center but it’s 45 minutes away so hopefully one of you guys can send me in the right direction.

Marshall DSL401C. Not as much fun as like a big stack or whatever but a great little amp.

Watching Vai and Sheehan dvd, Live at the Astoria, and thought of you guys!

CBeans: Best of luck with that finger; I believe it’s your off-shooting hand at least.

1 Like

It is, and I can still shoot no issues.

I can play again, for the most part. It’s still tender, and the bone is still aching pretty bad. I have to redevelop the callous on that finger… But other than one really sensitive area under scar tissue (so it hurts when pressure is put on that lump of scar) I’m pretty good.

The numb on the top of the skin isn’t a huge issue, as I have a fair amount of years muscle memory. It’s the over sensitive nerves under it that are the biggest obstacle right now.

Best of luck to you. Glad to hear that update.

1 Like

I played a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Custom today and it was bloody beautiful

Have you guys seen this?!

Fucking amazing!

Finally found the right pedal for the tone I need for the new band.

An Ibanez Tube Screamer. Sounds incredible. Really classic, bluesy tone. Think Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bonamassa, etc.

Now my drummer can stop bitching about me having too much gain. It’s a lovely, subtle little fella.

Hi I’m a young self learned guitarist from Iceland, inspired by tool… I’m working on my first album and have posted some demos on soundcloud, not the best quality since their just demos, would love it if you would give it a listen.

soundcloud.com/divine-mellow

You want honest feedback?

1. You need a better set up, I can hear your switches click and your strings… Takes away too much, makes it hard to hear
  2. You need a backing track or some sort of rhythm, even if it’s sounds you record from around the house on loops, something.
  3. I really like your riffs. Your ideas are very very good, but you’re busy as hell. You’re playing two and sometimes three parts on one guitar. Channeling in particular, is at least two guitar parts, and you’re playing it as one (out of necessity here I get that.) and without a backing track you’re forced to fill all the space with guitar, making it too busy. Yellow night is two parts and a bass part played on one guitar straight through…

You’re on the right track, no question. Save up and get a DAW, an interface with a decent mic, a place to record the amp AWAY from your pedal board and guitar so we’re only hearing the amp, and get a drum kit plugin. Once you’ve done that, start thinking of your guitar parts as parts, not the entire song.

What’s your rig look like? Guitar, pups, pedals and amp? If I was trying to record you, I’d spend a lot of time trying to EQ your rig upfront, because your tone is going to be a bitch to fit into a mix as is, which is the product of you playing on your own and not within the context of other instruments.

You’re foundation is an A, B+ at worst, just need to fine tune your shit, which is going to take $ and practice.

Honest though, Channeling is a great song… Needs more open space, and the guitar broken up into different parts. (Which will add space) And a solid outro…

@countingbeans

Remembered you like ABB and this is pretty cool

I fucking LOVE ABB like no one. Dickey is a great example of why NOT to do drugs lol.

I agree with Duane, he’s better than Clapton… Eric was able to overcome the drugs and not become brain dead though…

EDIT: in all fairness, both Clapton and Dickey live and die by the pentatonic licks, like Zak too. He made a sweet ass living in that box, and crushes it. So I can understand those that want to citizen, but I’m not a “technical skill over cool sounding riff” guy in the slightest. I don’t give a shit about any theory, and don’t need 12 notes a second.

Give me a killer lick with 4 notes and a driving rhythm section and I’m happy. I’ll love the shit out of some intricate intellectual jazz or prog metal licks with 400 notes a bar too (Abasi is a God among men), but I don’t NEED that to enjoy the music.

1 Like

@dmellow

This is what I mean by splitting your guitar into parts. CAn you hear the “space” that gets added when it’s two parts? Allman Brother’s Band was very good at this. Slash in the studio as well uses this to add space to the tracks.

You’re going to open up a ton of creative doors for yourself when you “get” this too.

Guitar (music) is not only notes, but space.
Like learning soft touch in billiards, when you master it - it just comes together

2 Likes

Duane Allman was crazy talented. Wasn’t he like 24 when he died? Insane to think someone so young could be so good.