T-Nation Direction?

Anyone else notice the major photoshopping around arnolds waist/belt on the first pic in todays article? I’m guessing he was in a speedo and they toned it down a bit

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Criticism is GOOD, people NEED it to improve.

Being an asshole is not good. OP wasn’t an asshole.[/quote]
I can pretty much agree with these points. Although…

[quote]mbdix wrote:
When did T-Nation decide that an article like todays is worthy of front page status?[/quote]
As was said, it might’ve been a little while since the last bodypart-specific routine (it really wasn’t, but okay), but I’m not sure what the problem is with a shoulder specialization workout on a muscle building site. (And no, that routine wouldn’t work as “active recovery” in any sense of the term. A change of pace, sure, but it’s pretty much the opposite of active recovery).

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
Some of the articles suck and many authors have shitty physiques[/quote]
In the last two months, T-Nation has put up 45 articles from 32 different coaches. Not every article will appeal to every reader. It’d be great if it did, but that’s just not reality because different people want/need different info.

But I do have to call bullshit on the old “Hey coach, DYEL?”-line. (Call me biased, no prob.) Many authors have shitty physiques? Many? Of the 32 recent authors, exactly how many had shitty physiques?

Nevermind that coaches are, like, individuals and have their own personal goals with training, regardless of their clientele. (I know Tumminello is big into bouldering, and is in plenty of shape to climb a bunch.) Or when dipsticks complain that Rippetoe “looks like crap”, overlooking that he’s nearly 60, physically worn but still moves heavy weight regularly, and has almost-universal respect from his peers as someone who knows his shit.

Or attacks on Staley, who’s also in his 50s I believe, and recently started competing in Powerlifting. But yep, let’s call him out for having small arms and calves. It’s not like EDT was one of the most popular training protocols around, or anything.

If out-of-shape coaches with legit “shitty physiques” were posting info, I’d be more inclined to agree with that type of criticism. Barring a significant medical issue, a coach should workout, sure. But the presumption that a coach has to have an “impressive” appearance to have credibility is a pretty narrow bodybuilder-centric point of view when there’s just a bit more to coaching than looking jacked. It really is as simple as, not everybody lifts with the intention of getting big.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Anyone else notice the major photoshopping around arnolds waist/belt on the first pic in todays article? I’m guessing he was in a speedo and they toned it down a bit[/quote]
Just so this doesn’t appear like an “OMG, proof T-Nation hates speedo-wearing bodybuilders!”, that pic wasn’t Photoshopped by this site. A Reverse Image search will show that that’s how it appears elsewhere. I do agree, though, it’s funky and does look like someone somewhere added on that belt and jeans.

Chris Colucci just came in and squashed arguments from all sides with facts and corroborating evidence. This whole thread loses, with the exception of Mr. Colucci himself.

A new article is put up 5 days a week, gonna be hard to have ground breaking stuff everyday.

On keeping my mouth shut because it’s a free site. Other posters have posted my same opinion on that very well. T-Nation is one of my favorite sites. I have purchased supplements from this site, have purchased products outside of this site. I recommend this site to people that have a similar interest in this stuff, I follow them on social media, and I click on this site every day.

I made the thread because it bothered me, and I wanted to post something about it, but didn’t think it would be respectful to post my opinion on the Author’s actual article.

@Chris. I agree that ‘coaches’ don’t HAVE to look the part. Only if they have clients or people that follow their principles that look the part is it acceptable to me. If they are trying to add something instead of suggesting proven techniques.

Active recovery may not have been the best example, but to me it is a much better representation of what that program would be used for compared to ‘big, massive shoulders’ or whatever it was that article was targeting

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Chris Colucci just came in and squashed arguments from all sides with facts and corroborating evidence. This whole thread loses, with the exception of Mr. Colucci himself. [/quote]

Fuck that.

I had some valuable life advice. I may not win, but certainly draw…

Shit… Lanky

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Chris Colucci just came in and squashed arguments from all sides with facts and corroborating evidence. This whole thread loses, with the exception of Mr. Colucci himself. [/quote]
Good god

Are we not ALL winners when facts and corroborating evidence are present?

I just miss SAMA… .

I practically wrote a BIBLE on woman, sex, dating, relationships and self improvement in various posts over the years and now it’s gone. It’s like a piece of me got ripped out.

<<sob, sniffle, sniffle>>

Don’t miss the grovelling for pics from “the vixens”, though. That got pretty ridiculous.

LOL

For the record, I LOVE Biotest products and use them daily. I wouldn’t support this site so much if their shit didn’t work. The rest of the articles are OK I guess. But I’m not a hardcore bodybuilder or anything. I did play rugby a long time ago and the information from this site helped me pack on over sixty pounds of muscle. Believe it or not, I was such an internet retard that I read the articles for YEARS without going on the forums - my first post was insulting Beans in the “man above” thread (speaking of which, let’s see if the times are right for another one). LOL But now I’m 40 years old, banged up and off the juice and just lift to look good nekkid. The 23 year old I nailed a few days ago had no complaints! :slight_smile:

I also miss TC’s articles.

The only real criticism I have is that a while back they got a little heavy with the “ban-hammer” and a lot of cool people I had known (online) for years aren’t around anymore, but I’m sure they had their reasons.

At the end of the day, this is a free place to come hang out and have fun with (mostly) cool peeps and get some fitness knowledge at the same time.

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]augustburnsred wrote:
Unless you are paying for any of the content on this site I don’t understand the need to bring this up.

Its free info, take it or leave it.[/quote]

exactly what I was thinking. Bitching about free info is bad form. Terribly, terribly bad form.[/quote]

So confused by this? Why is it poor form? He’s not complaining - he’s giving his feedback and opinion. Not saying he hates the site or anything - but providing commentary on a specific article.

Do critics review network (i.e. free) TV shows?
Do you ever say, man, I hate this fucking song while listening to your favorite radio station (non-satellite)?

It’s a great site, one of my favorites. Didn’t like the article… So sorry for my poor form!?![/quote]

I accept your apology

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Unless you are paying for any of the content on this site I don’t understand the need to bring this up.

exactly what I was thinking. Bitching about free info is bad form. Terribly, terribly bad form.[/quote]

So confused by this? Why is it poor form? He’s not complaining - he’s giving his feedback and opinion. Not saying he hates the site or anything - but providing commentary on a specific article.

Do you ever say, man, I hate this fucking song while listening to your favorite radio station (non-satellite)?

It’s a great site, one of my favorites. Didn’t like the article… So sorry for my poor form!?![/quote]

I accept your apology[/quote]

lolz

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

I accept your apology[/quote]

lolz
[/quote]

I’m glad you realised I was being tongue in cheek there! Can never be sure of someone’s reaction on the net…

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
It’s business. Some of the articles suck and many authors have shitty physiques, but my understanding is that they provide content in exchange for PR. [/quote]

And money! They’re not writing for free.

I still love the site even though I don’t read much of the newer articles come out. I still reference old ones that hit home with me though. In my opinion, CT’s How to Write a Damn Good Program series, Carb Cycling Codex, the newbie series on training and nutrition, and Training Strategy Handbook are the best articles I’ve ever read on training, and if one were to read those articles, they likely would need little else to read for a long time!

As CC said, not all these authors share the same goals, and I’m confused what “looking like s—” means. Does it mean not looking jacked and ripped? Some of these guys train athletes or are athletes themselves, and athletes don’t need to make front covers of Men’s Health or M&F. One might be surprised by the ordinary physiques and strength of some athletes.

Biotest products are very good. I use Surge or Plazma all the time. The forums are good too. I actually met one of my closest friends on here–a real friend that is, one who I talk to and hang with regularly. So it’s not just for shooting the breeze. If I recall correctly, a couple met on here and there have been a few meetups and training sessions with T Nation people.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
First of all I like what T-Nation is doing on it’s social media approach. Get Google on Google+ T-Nation.

1. Is it me or did the theme on the top of the page change? I thought it used to say “The pursuit of hardcore muscle” or something like that?

When did it change?

1. When did T-Nation decide that an article like todays is worthy of front page status? I don’t normally post something like this, but todays (6-12-14) article is terrible in my opinion. MAYBE, maybe do this workout once in a blue moon as an active recovery or something but it just seemed sub-par to what I expect from this site.

If I am wrong please let me know[/quote]

I’ll reiterate what Brick said. The guy in the vid has been a long time contributor to this site and has posted many good articles and knows what he is talking about. However the article did have me scratching my head wondering…am I reading Flex magazine, MuscleMag or what? But what the hey’ it’s a FREE article so we are all winners in that respect.

Changing the banner from the Pursuit of Hardcore Muscle to Building High-Performance Muscle is in line with the change that is happening in the fitness industry today. Lets be honest here, CrossFit has and is the biggest thing right now and that’s a HUGE market to tap into.

Have you noticed the CF imagery in the articles of late? We used to complain that using bodybuilders in the articles was unrealistic but TC explained his position on that, basically saying the imagery was there to inspire! Now the focus has shifted and the images have changed or are changing to cater for the new breed of up and coming weight trainer, the high performance seeker, the functional, competitive, aesthetic CFitter type.

Just look at all the new supplements, branded clothing, exercise gear, books, dvd’s, rehab innovations that have sprung forth to cater for the ensuing masses that align themselves with the CF brand. As a business you’d be a fool not to ride that wave. Times are changing fellas. I recently had this discussion with CT in the A Crossfit Apology article.[/quote]

It’s also that even some dedicated people, like myself, who are not Crossfitters grew a bit tired with ONLY lifting weights and for aesthetics and want to be in shape for other things or just able to move around faster than a walk, like jumping, running, sprinting, and other activities. I’m buying myself battle rope this summer and use plyos and jump roping and regularly run now in addition to my four lifting sessions. I love lifting and all, but just doing the conventional bodybuilding exercises gets old sometimes. I think it’s great more people are starting to do REAL squats and O lift variations. I’m seeing it more and more in gyms I go to.

T-Nation has changed my life, no shit~

I’ve bought products from this site and had a great time in SAMA - Vixen thread also -

I miss TC’s articles, but shit changes.

however, I DO think that a trainer should look the part, or not give advice.

apologies if this opinion has encroached upon some delicate feelings~

Edgy~

I guess I can use this topic to ask… where the heck did the BOI sub-forum go?

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Anyone else notice the major photoshopping around arnolds waist/belt on the first pic in todays article? I’m guessing he was in a speedo and they toned it down a bit[/quote]

That’s an old pic. It’s not shopped.

SAMA sucked. I was glad to see it disappear.

That place smelled like ass and lies.