T-Nation Christians

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where born again believers could talk about what God is doing in their lives, what He is teaching them, what Scriptures they have been reading etc.

I will start.

God has changed me so much since I stopped drinking six weeks ago. I have been a Christian for 10 years but have not grown spiritually for the last seven. Now I am surrendering my life to God.

What has He been teaching me? Where do I start. Here are a few things:

I am not of this world, this is temporary. I should therefore not be a friend of the world.

My purpose here on earth is not to live a happy life, or to become holy, or to be fulfilled. My purpose is to be the vessel of God and attempt to bring as many souls with me to Heaven as possible before I die. I need to be willing to submit to His will for me, even if that includes poverty, loss, rejection, humiliation or persecution.

Our arguments do not save people. Only the Spirit of God can soften a man’s heart to His truth.

The Word of God is powerful.

Books I have read lately:

Psalms, Titus, James, 1 Peter, Acts

I’ll ad more later. Hope to hear from others!!

[quote]JPBear wrote:
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where born again believers could talk about what God is doing in their lives, what He is teaching them, what Scriptures they have been reading etc.

I will start.

God has changed me so much since I stopped drinking six weeks ago. I have been a Christian for 10 years but have not grown spiritually for the last seven. Now I am surrendering my life to God.

I am not of this world, this is temporary. I should therefore not be a friend of the world.

My purpose here on earth is not to live a happy life, or to become holy, or to be fulfilled. My purpose is to be the vessel of God and attempt to bring as many souls with me to Heaven as possible before I die. I need to be willing to submit to His will for me, even if that includes poverty, loss, rejection, humiliation or persecution.

Our arguments do not save people. Only the Spirit of God can soften a man’s heart to His truth.

I’ll ad more later. Hope to hear from others!

[/quote]

JP,

Great thought for a thread! I hope others would join in to encourage one another.

Praise God that He has delivered you from your alcohol dependency. God is good!

I started in January to read through the Bible in a year, day by day. Although I have been saved for 11 years now (February 26, 1995 = Date of Spiriual Birth) I have never read the entire Bible through in a year consistently.

The fact that I am in God’s Word every day has brought countless blessings, and has focused me on my real priorities. That is to “go into all the world and teach all nations…” Although I really love working out and seeing the positive changes in my body and a result, the most important thing we can do as Chrisitans is to glorify God (1 Cor. 10:31). My daily feeding in God’s Word made me think about all of those precious souls here on T-Nation that are headed for a Christless hell (like I was 11 years ago). It was then I knew I needed to take a stand here on these forums and proclaim God’s Truth, no matter what the fallout would be.

It is very encouraging to know that there are born-again believers on T-Nation – we need to pray for each other and not be afraid to proclaim God’s Word here and also in the gym when we get the chance.

I have two verses which I consider my “life’s verses” and I would like to share them with everyone:

1 Corinthians 10:13

“There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.”

2 Pet 1:2-4

“Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us tob glory and virtue: 4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

God bless!

I’m going through religouse counciling right now :\

[quote]steveo5801 wrote:
JPBear wrote:

I will start.

JP,

Great thought for a thread! I hope others would join in to encourage one another.

Praise God that He has delivered you from your alcohol dependency. God is good!

I started in January to read through the Bible in a year, day by day. Although I have been saved for 11 years now (February 26, 1995 = Date of Spiriual Birth) I have never read the entire Bible through in a year consistently.

The fact that I am in God’s Word every day has brought countless blessings, and has focused me on my real priorities. That is to “go into all the world and teach all nations…” Although I really love working out and seeing the positive changes in my body and a result, the most important thing we can do as Chrisitans is to glorify God (1 Cor. 10:31). My daily feeding in God’s Word made me think about all of those precious souls here on T-Nation that are headed for a Christless hell (like I was 11 years ago). It was then I knew I needed to take a stand here on these forums and proclaim God’s Truth, no matter what the fallout would be.

It is very encouraging to know that there are born-again believers on T-Nation – we need to pray for each other and not be afraid to proclaim God’s Word here and also in the gym when we get the chance.

I have two verses which I consider my “life’s verses” and I would like to share them with everyone:

1 Corinthians 10:13

“There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.”

2 Pet 1:2-4

“Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us tob glory and virtue: 4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

God bless![/quote]

Not Christian myself, but has anyone besides me noticed that a very large amount of Powerlifters are? Maybe it has something to do with the South?

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Not Christian myself, but has anyone besides me noticed that a very large amount of Powerlifters are? Maybe it has something to do with the South?[/quote]

Interesting…

Congrats JP, and welcome to the fold.

Praise God and all my brothers & sisters in Christ on T-Nation!

I believe Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead. Am I a Christian? I don’t like the label, I read the bible and live accordingly. I don’t live a way cause Billy Graham says so. I live how God tells me to through his Word, prayer, Holy Ghost etc. I think my religiouse beliefs are unique from anyone else’s in the world just like my relationship with Jesus is.
-halflife

[quote]halflife wrote:
I believe Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead. Am I a Christian? I don’t like the label, I read the bible and live accordingly. I don’t live a way cause Billy Graham says so. I live how God tells me to through his Word, prayer, Holy Ghost etc. I think my religiouse beliefs are unique from anyone else’s in the world just like my relationship with Jesus is.
-halflife
[/quote]

If you have been born-again according to God’s Word then you should not mind the label, because Christian means really “follower of Messiah” (Jesus). If you are following Him through the power of the Spirit of God (Romans 5:1) then you are a Christian which means you are saved.

Praise God for that!

[quote]JPBear wrote:

I will start.

[/quote]

Even though I’m not a Christian per se, I am very glad that you’re beating the drinking.

Good luck, and stay strong!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
JPBear wrote:

I will start.

Even though I’m not a Christian per se, I am very glad that you’re beating the drinking.

Good luck, and stay strong![/quote]

Thanks! I appreciate it.

[quote]halflife wrote:
-halflife
[/quote]

I love the label. Since July 00’. Living a way that Billy Graham says to…uh, no. Living how the word of God says so…yes. It is impossible to live up to how we should “our righteousness is but filthy rags,” but I strive to everyday, and I am not afraid to let those around me know about it. I do think that some of the people in the world like the Rick Warrens are teaching people the wrong thing, and some give Christians a label as being “wacko”, but there are some strong believers out there who know, and are great teachers.
Book I’ve read lately…JOB. If you think you are going through some bad times, read JOB.
God Bless
and my usual…
Nooge

[quote]pimpinthebox wrote:
If you think you are going through some bad times, read JOB.
God Bless
and my usual…
Nooge[/quote]

No kidding. That dude had it rough. I consider myself going through a rough time right now, and Job kinda puts it in perspective. It makes me feel like a peice of crap when I question God’s plan and then remember what Job went through without cursing God. And even giving thanks.

Good thread, good testimonies.

Psa 107:2 “Let the redeemed of the LORD say so”

I am a sinner saved by grace, July '99.

Magnificent idea for a thread, JP

I don’t know the exact date I was saved, but it was only maybe 3 months ago. All I know is that life was miserable…I had many great things in life going for me, but was still unsatisfied.

I had prayed almost every day of my life, but (at best) was a Christian in name only. I had never read the bible, and even (up until coming to China to work) adopted a Taoist philosophy that I had coupled with God to produce my own brand of worship.

Whatever.

So I get this irrestible urge to take the job in China. Then I wind up in a small town in which life was miserable for me (I don’t drink or smoke anyway…gave that up about 5-6 years ago).

One day I had the same urge to apply for another job in this city. I never knew of it, or even heard of this city before.

Next thing I know I have the job and am here in “the Hawaii of CHina.”

But it was still incomplete.

One day I get this same urge to call my only friend here, a person who isn’t Chinese.

It turns out that he and his g/f were praying for Him to use them. They just said “in Jesus’ name” and then the phone rang immediately…it was me calling.

Over the next few weeks, they helped me on my way. I had to accept Him and do the work, but to have a brother and sister encouraging me really helped.

I suppose because I didn’t “feel” any different I wasn’t sure I was saved. But boyohboy I know I am now.

What has changed since then? Where to begin?

I’ve begun to learn what true love is, and this love can only be given by the Father, who IS love.

My heart has softened…I’m more gentle…I’ve made more friends (brothers and Sisters in Christ) than I’ve ever had at one time.

And I’m MUCH more acutely aware of how truly horrible I am…THAT one blew my mind because before I used to say: “you know, when compared to most other people I’m not that bad.”

What a deception to myself. And boy, accepting how wicked and whack I am really hurt…but allowed more good works to be done by HIM!

People tell me that I’m ministering to them…already. WOW!

Heck, I had a friend come back here from the US and she asked me right after meeting: “What happened to you?” Which is to say that the changes that the Lord has made in me are manifesting themselves in an undreamed of rate.

And…I kid you not…I HEARD THE VOICE OF THE SPIRIT!! It was when I was having sex (only for pleasure)…It was SO intense and LOUD that I can’t even explain it in the written word…AMAZING. It said “Don’t do this.”

Needless to say, the sex was ended after that. lol

Since that time I’ve been blessed to be given a Schofield bible that I study from daily. At first it was just reading the gospel of John three times in a row, but soon it turned into following the “breadcrumbs” the notes lead us to…next thing I know I’m meeting King Hezekiah (spelling? sorry), Elijah, Joseph…and so many others. Then these lead into Leviticus, Issiah, Deuteronomy…you know the drill

Praise God!

Secrets are being revealed too…many of them make my jaw drop…literally. When I read what the name Israel really means (at least what little I know), I almost slapped my forehead.

Romans 8:5-13 changed my life and helped me to curb my lusty nature (well, finally allowed me to accept why certain “bodily” things are immoral) by the Lord doing his good work in me.

Anyway, obviously I can talk about this a lot…I have a LOT more to say too, but I’ll end it with:

Currently I’m reading an inductive bible study which is helping me to get a good foundation in the basics.

Otherwise, I’m reading Proverbs (trying to do 1/day), Acts and Matthew…unless He leads me to read another story/book.

A good book, (Not THE good book) is called, “The Fisherman”. It is a book from Peter’s perspective on his time with our Lord.

It really brings home the incredible love and compassion of Christ.

Peter is talking one day in a narrative fashion and is telling us today we know Christ first as Lord and then as a friend. He got to know him as a friend first and then his Lord. You start thinking about that and it can be kind of awesome! Anyhow, its an excellent read.

Alpha…praise the Lord man.
That is awesome. I remember being a new believer and how everything was blowing my mind, and how different your thought becomes.

Some great teachers to read on…

Robert Murray McCheyne - only lived 30 years, and his faith and dedication to the Lord was remarkable. (1800’s)

Jonathan Edwards - read and study some of his sermon’s in MA. he would preach from a rock to thousands, even when sick and dying. (mid 1700’s)

I don’t know how many of you listen to Christian music, but if you like to rock, here are some bands that I listen to and help promote…
Pillar
Project 86
POD
Seven System
Seventh Seal
Disciple
Day of Fire
Blindside
Pax 217
Jeremy Camp

Nooge

[quote]JPBear wrote:
[/quote]

Nice to see a different kind of thread ending up on the site. I have a question I am hoping JPBear or someone else might be able to answer.

I’m a lifelong Catholic, but I do very much enjoy learning about other people’s faiths. It’s just an endlessly fascinating topic to me to understand how other people worship. When you can actually have a discussion about this kind of thing and NOT a debate, it’s refreshing. While I know of people who are “born again Christians” and hear the term quite often, I am not 100% clear on what it means, since it seems to mean different things to different people.

Can anyone who considers themselves born again explain a little bit? Is it because a total re-commitment to being a Christian as JP describes above? Is there something different about it from how you might have practiced your faith on a daily basis before? What if someone was just as dedicated throughout their life in their faith? Do they require being born again?

Anyhoo, thanks for setting up a great thread and I am really curious to hear people’s thoughts!

Kuz

dont forget about 12 stones

I am re-committing myself, and along with church, the biggest influence for me is Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s “The Cost of Discipleship”. I can’t recommend this book higly enough. It has answered so many questions for me, granted I was lacking quite a bit in knowledge. I am reading “Ethics” by him now and it is good, but not as enlightening. I will probably re-read Discipleship again.

He was a German pastor incarcerated and executed by Hitler for conspiring to assassinate him. If I remember correctly, he was a Lutheran pastor, but I think his teachings can illuminate any Chrsitian regardless of denomination.