T-NATION Brethren - HELP

WARNING - LONG POST

I am 21, turning 22 in a couple of weeks, I have two degrees to my name, own my own car and have no debts and no girlfriend. A couple of weeks ago I had an interview for a fitness trainer with a company who has health/spa and fitness facilities on board 6 star cruise liners.

Now since I have finished University I have started my own business as personal trainer and have been subcontracted by a 24hr fitness centre. The position is some what mundane and without sounding pig headed, Iâ??m over qualified for the position.

I also have qualifications in Education; Iâ??m a registered teacher of Science and Physical Education. I have been doing some stand in work around my other job at the fitness centre as the pay is quite good for hours worked.

Now Iâ??m not a normal 21 year old, I donâ??t drink, I Train, I donâ??t go out, I train. I love training. None of my mates understand it and saying that this has ostracized me is an extreme understatement, Iâ??m sure im not alone, but with each day I feel the journey down the road we are all on, becoming a quiet, quiet place.

Please donâ??t misunderstand me, I love my training, It for me has become part spiritual as it provides me with focus and reason, a place of solitude and solace. But also a place of pain, blood on the barbell, raw sweat and tears, I love it. I have not found a place that causes me so much pain but also beckons me back, calling, daring me to be better.

This new job offer on the cruise ship brings with it 10 hour days, 6 days a week and 3 meals a day and terrible, terrible pay. This is a far cry from my current 6 day training schedule and 6-8 meals a day. However I get to travel and I donâ??t have to pay for the meals or the accommodation, I donâ??t have any bills and the only money that is spent is what I choose to spend on board and at port, where ever that may be.

Being so young and having limited life experience, a small part of me yearns to go and travel. However the contract is for 9 months at sea. But a large part of me holds me to my training. Now I understand that I can train on board. But after 10hr shift and 3 meals how good is that session going to be? And if I then have another 10hr shift that leaves no room for rest. I may just be over-reacting to the situation but this is not going to be ideal for my training.

Now to add another dimension to the problem. I received a call today from a highschool interested in putting me on for the remainder of the school year (approx 3 months). This along with my other job as great financial gains and my training will suffer but I know that it will be manageable as I can make my own hours at the centre.

My question is, what do I do? I have done everything I can to deduce an outcome, pros and cons the whole lot. Im still at a loss. Torn between my love for training and possibilities that await me? What do I DO?

Where are your from? What is your 5 year plan? 10 year plan? Its 9 months sorry but that is a drop in the bucket for somebody my age, just thought I would ask a couple questions to spur things on.

Doesn’t Xander have the exact same avatar? And who do think you are snapping my picture whilst my back is turned, Nards?

You can train on board the ship, if you’re really going to turn down this opportunity you actually want to take because of the oft chance your training may not be as productive as if you were on dry land, slap yourself.

Just take the plunge and do something you want to do; I don’t even see how this is a significant dilemma if your concern is training.

I would say go for it!. You already have your degrees, you are young and a big adventure lies ahead if you take this offer up. I know a few people that have done the job and basically they said its a huge sexfest. Not only that but you will see many places and experience different cultures (depending where your cruise goes). Missing 9 months of training properly will be nothing. I wouldn’t even think twice about it if I were you. So many people spend their whole lives in one place and see the world through the television set, I think its sad really. I am 32, have lived in 5 different countries, have learned 5 different languages and have loved every day of my life since I left home.

If you do go, make sure to make good friends with the kitchen staff. They usually have buffets and having worked in the service industry I can tell you Buffets= lots and lots of leftovers that are usually thrown in the garbage. You can eat that garbage. Lol. I was my biggest when I worked security at a hotel. They had a buffet restaurant and my food costs went down to about 100$ a month. I would only make my own food on days I didn’t work. After every buffet I would sit there eating huge plates with 4-5 chicken breasts, steaks, and mountains of vegetables. It was awesome.

Couple of questions. 1. Where will the cruise be? 2. what is the position?

dude, you forgot to take into account the amount of poon you may receive while on this ship.

cliff notes motherfucker

10 bucks says i’m stronger than you

hey guys, the kicker is my mate from grade school , that i have grown up with has been planning to travel with me for a while, sorry if i didn’t include that in the post, it was supposed to be me and him travelling now I got this offer.

… also to get on the ship it’s gonna cost $5000, in airfares, visa and medical etc.
Also apologies for the text, stupid blackberry.

What is up with people taking the Animal Pak ad copy so freakin seriously?

Oh wow. You are a solemn monk in the temple of iron. We get it.

Now, if you are so disciplined, go establish yourself as a professional in your formally trained field of expertise. Fun time can wait a couple of years till you have the credentials And some money in your pocket.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
dude, you forgot to take into account the amount of poon you may receive while on this ship. [/quote]

Let’s break it down for him.

Cruise ship = terrible pay, world experience, and at least 50 poons with semi-decent training schedule if you suck it up.

High School teacher = ok pay, asshats, and illegal poon with awesome training schedule… … still not very much poon though.

Are you really gross looking? That might have something to do with what you choose.

he wants to travel with his “mate”…I don’t think that poon is an incentive here

Frankly, your post comes off as obsessive about training and your life unbalanced. I may be completely wrong but that is the vibe I get from your post. It’s as if all things revolve around your training. That sounds obsessive to me unless your training is your livelihood and even then, it sounds like a very unbalanced life. You need balance in your life.

Training should enhance your life…your life should not revolve around training and it sounds like it does. Seriously dude, even if you train every single day, we’re talking what…an hour, hour and a half per day which adds up to 7-10 hours per week? So you’re making life decisions based upon training and you don’t see a problem there?

First get some perspective, then consider your options. Unless you’re a professional athlete or Olympia hopeful, your training should not have been presented in quite this slant. You sound obsessive.

Dude, take the job on the cruise. It’s a freaking cruise ship, not a naval boat. It’ll be awesome (have you ever been on a cruise?). So you get 3 (free) meals a day, bring some damn supplements. It really sounds like a great opportunity, and you should just do it. You and your boy can travel when you get back, you’ll have more money for it anyway.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
Frankly, your post comes off as obsessive about training and your life unbalanced. I may be completely wrong but that is the vibe I get from your post. It’s as if all things revolve around your training. That sounds obsessive to me unless your training is your livelihood and even then, it sounds like a very unbalanced life. You need balance in your life.

Training should enhance your life…your life should not revolve around training and it sounds like it does. Seriously dude, even if you train every single day, we’re talking what…an hour, hour and a half per day which adds up to 7-10 hours per week? So you’re making life decisions based upon training and you don’t see a problem there?

First get some perspective, then consider your options. Unless you’re a professional athlete or Olympia hopeful, your training should not have been presented in quite this slant. You sound obsessive.[/quote]

Really good advice right there. Especially at your age. Ass before mass.

[quote]skank wrote:
Ass before mass.
[/quote]
QFT!

Just make sure you hog out on those 3 squares. Like to the point of nausea.

Just fucking do it, pussy!

/thread

How many times have you actually bled on the dumbbell? How often have you cried in the gym?