T-Nation Bikers

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Can it beat this?

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce
Another runner in the night
[/quote]

You know, I’ve ALWAYS wondered what the hell the lyrics from that song were…

-Nate

Ride me long time…

thank god someone else rides real iron around here. i also did the sport bike thing for a few years but as my Dad says, " a man can’t ride around in shame forever" he is quite the Harley fanatic.

[quote]grey wrote:
95 HD Heritage Nostalgia.
Did the japanese shit years ago.
I cruise slow but everyone hears
me coming. [/quote]

[quote]DUKE ZX-9R wrote:
I got a 2000 Zx-9R, No Fireblade can touch it, and it’s definatley a lot more stable with a higher top end than an R1

But the New ZX-14R looks very promissing…[/quote]

The ZX-14 looks like it’s going to totally spank the Busa and redefine the hyper-sport category. Kawasaki is waking up (finally).

There are also rumors of a hyper-tourer GTR-1400 coming out next year based on the ZX-14.

[quote]morepain wrote:
thank god someone else rides real iron around here. i also did the sport bike thing for a few years but as my Dad says, " a man can’t ride around in shame forever" he is quite the Harley fanatic.

grey wrote:
me coming.

[/quote]

I guess you’re right. Eventually he can move up to an underpowered, overpriced rattle-trap with parts falling off, that doesn’t go around corners. LOL…

I feel the shame every time I scream a lap around the race track. Wonder why I don’t see any Harleys out there.

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
morepain wrote:

grey wrote:
me coming.

I guess you’re right. Eventually he can move up to an underpowered, overpriced rattle-trap with parts falling off, that doesn’t go around corners. LOL…

I feel the shame every time I scream a lap around the race track. Wonder why I don’t see any Harleys out there.[/quote]

For realz

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
morepain wrote:

grey wrote:
me coming.

I feel the shame every time I scream a lap around the race track. Wonder why I don’t see any Harleys out there.[/quote]

Personally I ride bikes because they are fast and exciting, Harley’s, Cruisers etc etc aren’t either of these to me. I have a car for pottering about in.

settle down fellas, i loved my sport bike, but as i got older i just gravitated toward cruisers, ride on.

i have a baby ninja

i got it to learn on, and just dont have the right situation to upgrade yet (i want a garage, so my bike doesnt get stolen)

im not a speed freak, so im not sure what ill go with. i like the look of the ducati monster, but i dont know.

my cousin used to race a 750 gsxr, but i thought that bike was uncomfortable

I ride a Multistrada 1000. It’s not the fastest thing in a straight line but it carves the corners quite nicely. And for an over 6’ rider it’s one of the few non-cruiser bikes out there that’s comfortable.

[quote]stig wales. wrote:
Need4Speed wrote:
morepain wrote:

grey wrote:
me coming.

I feel the shame every time I scream a lap around the race track. Wonder why I don’t see any Harleys out there.

Personally I ride bikes because they are fast and exciting, Harley’s, Cruisers etc etc aren’t either of these to me. I have a car for pottering about in.

[/quote]

That’s the point isn’t it.
A japanese bike is for zooming around and then putting it back in the garage.
A Harley or other classic is a way of life. I rode my Harley across most of Europe. I have slept beside it, on it.
Rode through pouring rain soaked and frozen to the bones. Through Monte Carlo and over the Dolomites. I cruised the French and Italian Riviera’s and hung out with a lot of cool bro’s from Germany, Holland and Italy who rode…Harley Davidsons and where some of the biggest and toughest kick ass guys i have met in my life.
On the other hand almost everyone I have ever seen riding a jap bike was always a weeny pencilneck skinny ass bitch.
Now that may be just a coincidence and maybe it isn’t but thats’ just the way i have seen the chips fall.
Oh I did have a friend from Canada who rode a katana…a great guy…big bodybuilder with his whole life in front of him…he (on his jap bike) enjoyed speed so much that he ended up a cripple and being the guy he was ate a shotgun blast. Hmmm. Go figure.
I say it again. I don’t go fast but they hear me coming and that’s just fine with me.

flstfi

[quote]grey wrote:
A Harley or other classic is a way of life. I rode my Harley across most of Europe. I have slept beside it, on it.
Rode through pouring rain soaked and frozen to the bones. Through Monte Carlo and over the Dolomites. I cruised the French and Italian Riviera’s and hung out with a lot of cool bro’s from Germany, Holland and Italy who rode…Harley Davidsons and where some of the biggest and toughest kick ass guys i have met in my life.
On the other hand almost everyone I have ever seen riding a jap bike was always a weeny pencilneck skinny ass bitch.
Now that may be just a coincidence and maybe it isn’t but thats’ just the way i have seen the chips fall.
Oh I did have a friend from Canada who rode a katana…a great guy…big bodybuilder with his whole life in front of him…he (on his jap bike) enjoyed speed so much that he ended up a cripple and being the guy he was ate a shotgun blast. Hmmm. Go figure.
I say it again. I don’t go fast but they hear me coming and that’s just fine with me.

[/quote]

I am wondering how you have missed the entire lifestyle surrounding sportsbike riders. I know other guys’ bikes just like I know them around my area. We almost associate one with the other. You seem to have the impression that only Harley riders have a “lifestyle” surrounding their bike riding. I personally have no desire to grow a long ass beard, develop a MASSIVE beer belly and ride around wearing 2 decade outdated aviator sunglasses on a bike that sounds like a motorboat.

hey, if you can stereotype…

[quote]morepain wrote:
settle down fellas, i loved my sport bike, but as i got older i just gravitated toward cruisers, ride on.[/quote]

Agreed. Just ride. I think us vs. them (HD vs. Sport Bikes) posts are kinda stupid, but I had to give you a little shit after that prior post.

Wow, I had no idea so many of you dudes rode! Awesome.

As to the bike, yeah, it’s an XS-11, only $900, runs, needs a tune up, only 21,000 mi, needs a right-rear hard case cover, and a kick starter (not REAL necessary, as the electric one works great), but that’s about it. Paint looks pretty good, no scratches, never been down, chrome looks GREAT, and most of the rubber is passable. She sounds pretty nice too, though it doesn’t say “potato-potato-potato” like a harley.

My concern is availability of parts for it - someone told me that the XS-11 is compatible with a most Yamaha parts on up through 2001, so they’re readily available, but I don’t know if that’s true or not. I’m also concerned about the seals etc, since it was stored for about 5 years in a garage.

Also, I’m not a TOTAL noob when it comes to riding, I had a motorcycle when I lived in China, that’s where I learned to ride - so I figgure if I can safely ride one in a Chinese city of 7.8 million people, I can probably get by ok commuting the 5 miles to work every day in Sacramento.

[quote]grey wrote:
I say it again. I don’t go fast but they hear me coming and that’s just fine with me.[/quote]

Grey, there’s this category called “Sport-Touring” (see my ZZR above) where you combine a bike that can shred the curves with a comfortable riding position. It goes around corners and goes long miles! Touring doesn’t require a straight-line cruiser, but a straight-line cruiser can’t really do anything else.

Anyway, stop being so defensive about it. There are lots of different bikes for lots of different riding styles. Expand your horizons and then go out and ride.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
grey wrote:

I am wondering how you have missed the entire lifestyle surrounding sportsbike riders. I know other guys’ bikes just like I know them around my area. We almost associate one with the other. You seem to have the impression that only Harley riders have a “lifestyle” surrounding their bike riding. I personally have no desire to grow a long ass beard, develop a MASSIVE beer belly and ride around wearing 2 decade outdated aviator sunglasses on a bike that sounds like a motorboat.

hey, if you can stereotype…
[/quote]

I like the sound of a motorboat.
Especially a Scarab with 1200 hp.

And of course only Harley riders have the true lifestyle.
On the other hand sportbike riders have such kickass terminator apparel that i get chills up and down my spine whenever I see these starwars wannabe’s.
C’mon Prof. You have got to admit that the costumes are fucking stupid…especially for the guys zooming up and down the lane.
Titanium crotches and superhardened knee scrapes with strobe lighting and all the other crappola.

[quote]knewsom wrote:
Hey all, I’m officially selling my car and buying a motorcycle. Just wondering who else out there took the plunge, what kind of bikes you guys ride, and hoping you had advice for a noobie biker.
[/quote]

Congrats! I’ve been riding for almost 20 years. Currently riding a '99 Yamaha R1 with 27K on the odometer. I’ll keep riding sportbikes until my body won’t allow it.

Advice? There have been similar threads on this site, so a quick search should yield lengthy results.

1. Take a motorcycle safety course.
  2. Ride like you are invisible to everybody.
  3. Most of your stopping power is in the front brakes–use them.

LJ

[quote]morepain wrote:
settle down fellas, i loved my sport bike, but as i got older i just gravitated toward cruisers, ride on.[/quote]

Agreed. I hate it when threads turn into cruisers vs sportbikes. As long as it’s got two wheels, I’m good. And really, it’s motorcyclists vs cars isn’t it?

LJ

this thread has made me think a little

i generally dont consider myself someone who seeks a rush, or engages in risky behavior

but my three of my hobbies are: trying to lift heavy ass weights(as ronnie would say), riding a motorcycle, and training BJJ. it is just kind of funny when you realize your opinion of yourself doesnt match your behavior patters. i guess im having an epiphany, weird