T Nation at the CrossFit Games

ya’ll watching the cyclocross cross going on right now?

I may be getting mixed up but was not be an Olympic weight lifting champion in the US. Hence like most olympic lifters he is probably faster than he is strong on the strength speed curve. That said I am sure I have seen him snatch 140 fairly high on YouTube.
I will check just browsing on phone a pain. I think

You are getting mixed up.

Sorry should have checked. The other cross fit winneris one I amthinking of

Mat Fraser?

Yes thanks . Some guys can clea n and jerk what they front squat

Rogue fitness

I meant more your current location.

I believe the answer was “the couch”.

1 Like

A chair actually

Exactly.

Yep going to the gym this evening, what’s the point?

I don’t know if you meant for this to be an existential question.

1 Like

Nope, what’s your point?

Aren’t you on a chair like me at work?

Either way Crossfit is pretty shit, will not do

Oh, my point. That’s different.

You aren’t competing in the crossfit games and winning $280,000.

1 Like

You’re a known crotchet that’s barely worth responding to, but let’s just say that if you can’t understand how this guy is good, why haven’t you entered the games? First prize this year is a cool $285,000 and you seem pretty confident.

Seriously, comparing those numbers against the numbers of competitive strongmen, powerlifters, or weightlifters is silly. Weightlifters don’t have to do a 1RM clean and jerk 20 minutes after swimming a mile in the open ocean. Powerlifters don’t have to test their deadlift 20 minutes after finishing an 11-mile train run. These guys have to be ready to handle it all; the degree of training necessary for a CF athlete to take their deadlift from 545 up to 700 is not worth the return on investment, not when they have to be prepared for a swimming event, a slew of gymnastics, some running, some jumping and calisthenics all in the same two or three days.

But then again, you’re the clown who said Hafthor Bjornsson (literally one of the three strongest men on Earth) was not impressive, so cool.

I always chuckle when there’s a video from the CrossFit games where the athletes are competing in a fairly specialized skill and inevitably a handful of people from that discipline are chiming in with “LOL, a good high school swimmer would beat these guys!”

CF Games athletes have to be good at everything and prepared for at least one totally off-the-wall event (Castro is a clown, but the Games have done a decent job throwing some monkey wrenches at the athletes in the last few years; the pegboard event a couple years ago being a great example that killed a handful of people).

I have plenty of issues with CrossFit, but they’ve probably done more good than harm (they’ve really helped increase casual interest in weightlifting around the US) and the Games athletes are very impressive. Sure, I can deadlift more than Froning, squat close to his best, and run a comparable 5K; those are literally the only things where I’d be able to hang with him. The fact that he can do those things while also showing the proficiency he does in bodyweight skills and other domains of fitness is astounding.

The defending champ, Mat Fraser, was a high-level weightlifter as a teen and for a time was a resident athlete at the Olympic Training Center. He has snatched 315 pounds. No doubt his Olympic lifting background was a major leg up in his entry to CrossFit, but he has shown himself more than capable (even dominant) in the non-barbell events as well.

5 Likes

Putting aside the pissing match that’s currently going on at the bottom of this thread, this is great.

I don’t agree with everything about CrossFit, but the athletes are impressive and as Chris alluded, it has made a huge impact on fitness and lifting (recreational weightlifting at the USA has seen a huge boon thanks to CrossFit, and I expect that at some point that trickle is going to result in more competitive lifters on the international stage).

2 Likes

Update: Lots of rain today, but the events are rolling on. Teams, masters, teens, and individual events. Run, Swim, Run was one event, and the cyclocross for individuals.

There was more for teens and masters (1RM snatch) but a lot of these events happen at the same time.

Huge expo too, much bigger than the last Arnold or Olympia I attended. Anyway, misc. pics attached. (I’ll post more on my twitter machine - @chrisshugart - and maybe T Nation’s - @T_Nation.) And this evening we’ll hit the colosseum for more individual action. And that’s usually where it really gets interesting as the sleds, bars, and heavy stuff comes out.

IMG_0505

IMG_0500

IMG_0478

IMG_0474

More…

Having some issues with video. I’ll toss those on Twitter.

IMG_0508

Jasmin Car, Chris and I are not “going where the money is.” We do not receive any form of payment for being spectators at the CrossFit Games.

We are going where the athletes and lifters are. Sorry your life is so miserable that you feel the need to put them down, or accuse us of some nefarious type of bribery, but we literally get ZERO dollars for attending the CrossFit Games.

However, we DO get to be in the presence of good people who want to better themselves in life. Sorry that you’re not one of them. Your attitude is shitty.

8 Likes

This was fun to watch. Samantha Briggs was ahead the entire time. #GirlCrush

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXVrcLDFRGY/?hl=en&taken-by=danishugart