T-Moments That Inspired You

Ok, this was one that really needs a photo to show what a mess this guy was in but the T-man on display was Shaun Edwards an English rugby league player.In the 1990 cup final against warrington Edwards was hit with a late tackle early in the game which shattered his cheekbone and his eye socket. This left one side of his face literally depressed. Edwards played on and Wigan won the game.

When in a later interview Edwards was asked why on earth he played on despite such a horrendous injury he replied ‘I didn’t want them to think I was scared.’ or words to that effect.

[quote]Deathroe wrote:
My favourite: Canada beating U.S.A. in both mens and womens olympic hockey in salt lake. Brilliant.[/quote]

I hate you :slight_smile:

In last year’s Rugby League season, the Rooster’s Chris Flannery RUPTURED A TESTICLE in the thrid tackle of the game. He finished playing the remaining 79 minutes of the game and then went to hospital. He had surgery on the Tuesday, was back at training on Thursday, and played off the bench that weekend.

I hate the Roosters, and don’t particularly like Flannery, but damn!!! That is even tougher than jogging home from your own vasectomy.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
Maradona’s skills still run circles around Beckham’s…[/quote]

Hey, you’ve got no argument here! :slight_smile: Beckham’s a brand, not a footballer.

As far as a non-sporting T-moment goes, I think Joe Simpson’s experience on the Siula Grande peak in the Peruvian Andes gets my vote. for those that haven’t seen it, the film Touching the Void tells the story, and you wouldn’t believe it if he wasn’t still alive to tell the tale. Well worth renting.

Dan

[quote]Massif wrote:
In last year’s Rugby League season, the Rooster’s Chris Flannery RUPTURED A TESTICLE in the thrid tackle of the game. He finished playing the remaining 79 minutes of the game and then went to hospital. He had surgery on the Tuesday, was back at training on Thursday, and played off the bench that weekend.

I hate the Roosters, and don’t particularly like Flannery, but damn!!! That is even tougher than jogging home from your own vasectomy.[/quote]

That’s one tough SOB. I probably STILL wouldn’t be walking (and I doubt many men would fault me for it).

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned the moment that Pat Tillman walked away from a multi-million dollar pro football contract to join the Armed Forces. Please don’t take this opportunity to start a for/against the war debate, but focus on the fact of just what he gave up to follow his convictions.

I was just thinking Pat Tillman as well…

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
This story chokes me up everytime…

At 7:00 am when the race began Christian’s journey was on. He muscled his way through the 2.4-mile swim in 1:23:43, not bad for a Triathlete who hates to swim. Then came the bike leg, which would howl winds of up to 50 mph in the racers face trying to break the best of them. Christian had been on his bike for six hours and 105 miles when his race came crashing down. A passing motorcycle unexpectedly swerved on the course and flipped him over the handlebars landing in a lava field on his back. Not knowing what had happened he pried himself off the rocks to his feet only to find a mangled broken bike. With determination and the never-quit character of a true Ironman, Christian used his only option; carry his bike over his shoulder for the 7 miles that remained. The worst part was that he would have to do it wearing only his socks and make it within the time limit. After 2 ? hours of no water and agonizing pain from his blistered feet the only way possible for Christian to continue his quest, was to eventually run to the transition area, which he did, and came in safely 1 minute before the cutoff. What remained was a mere 26.2-mile marathon.

Carefully placing wraps around his extremely raw and blistered feet, the final stage was under way. With each step gritting his teeth and having flashbacks from earlier in the week when he overheard comments how lottery winners are not real Triathletes and shouldn’t be allowed to compete with the elites at Ironman, Christian dug deep and crossed the finish line. 16 hours 9 minutes and 48 seconds after his journey began… Christian Sadowski was an Ironman.

[/quote]

oh my god. that is amazing. unbelievable determination. thanks for sharing!

Great thread …

Two in mind stick out:

1978 Houston Oilers against the LA Rams - Earl Campbell planting his helmut in lineback Isaiah Jackson’s chest and proceeding to go over him like a lawnmower …

1985 Chicago Bears against the LA Rams in the playoffs - Mike Singletary meeting Eric Dickerson at the line of scrimmage, immediately and violently putting Dickerson on his back.

Two great hits … I love the Bednarik hit on Gifford (above) as well.

[quote]JFS wrote:
Great thread …

Two in mind stick out:

1978 Houston Oilers against the LA Rams - Earl Campbell planting his helmut in lineback Isaiah Jackson’s chest and proceeding to go over him like a lawnmower …

1985 Chicago Bears against the LA Rams in the playoffs - Mike Singletary meeting Eric Dickerson at the line of scrimmage, immediately and violently putting Dickerson on his back.

Two great hits … I love the Bednarik hit on Gifford (above) as well.[/quote]

I’m a big fan of the Earl Campbell play, as well. I also liked the remake (starring Bo Jackson as Campbell and Brian Bosworth as Jackson). The real Campbell hit was waaaay more vicious, though.
Also, pick any of Ronnie Lott’s knockout hits, or the time when he ripped his finger off in a RBs jersey (1st knuckle) and finished the game.

While he might be a newcomer to the public eye, Forrest Griffin (from The Ultimate Fighter show, where he won a UFC contract) is definitely inspiring and a badass sumbeech. Plus, he’s got a wicked sense of humor.

In a match against Edson Paredao in December 2003, Griffin suffered a broken forearm in the first round, but went on to knock out his opponent with his “good” hand in front of a Brazilian crowd.

Ben Johnson, 1988, Seoul. Running a 9.79 and easing up at 90m to throw his hand up and show Carl Lewis who truly was the best.

Ali leaning over in the 8th round and whispering to George Foreman, the premier power puncher of the time, “Is that all you got George?” and Ali standing over Liston as someone else already said.

how about the guy that was trapped by a bolder in a canyon somewhere and cut his own arm off with a pocket knife and had to break his own arm…thats pretty insane.

and by the way, wasn’t ben johnson busted for steroids after that?

He was on steroids. :frowning: Takes away from the story doesn’t it?

Mediated, only if you believe that everybody else wasn’t… :wink:

old commercial…office linebacker terry runs around the office knocking the shit out of people…oooh yeaa!(machoman style)

backer for life

ps

1995 World cup. Quite a few good memories, but I will never get the image of Jonah Lomu flattening Michael Catt out of my head.

As a 'bok fan that’s saying something.

[quote]PSYCH0_GUY wrote:
how about the guy that was trapped by a bolder in a canyon somewhere and cut his own arm off with a pocket knife and had to break his own arm…thats pretty insane.[/quote]

That was what I was going to say. The guy was a crazy SOB. I don’t know of many people that would have gotten out alive.

[quote]GaMeOvEr305 wrote:

That was what I was going to say. The guy was a crazy SOB. I don’t know of many people that would have gotten out alive.

[/quote]

I watched some documentary of him and he was videotaping himself and it was just crazy what he was talking about and it was talkin about how he drank is own urine to survive…crazy story

[quote]mica617 wrote:
JFS wrote:
Great thread …

Two in mind stick out:

Two great hits … I love the Bednarik hit on Gifford (above) as well.

I’m a big fan of the Earl Campbell play, as well. I also liked the remake (starring Bo Jackson as Campbell and Brian Bosworth as Jackson). The real Campbell hit was waaaay more vicious, though.
Also, pick any of Ronnie Lott’s knockout hits, or the time when he ripped his finger off in a RBs jersey (1st knuckle) and finished the game.[/quote]

Those were great hits. I would also add “The Hit”, September 1990 Monday Night game where Steve Atwater (Denver Broncos) flattened Christian Okoye (KC Chiefs).

Hell, if you like big hits, look to the man who inspired Lott. My favorite defensive back

Jack “The Assassin” Tatum

He’s hit campbell pretty square and almost brought him down. The super bowl where Tatum and another safety came down and knocked the hell out of a vikings receiver is classic. Then Tatum just stood over him and motioned his hands to say “You ain’t shit”