T-Man Laundry

A very serious and manly topic follows:
So I sweat a LOT at the gym and my gym shirts get soaked. Eventually, even after being washed, they still have kind of a rough texture and light stench.

I started throwing my sweaty shirts in another laundry pile. My main one is in my room. I throw these in the bathroom. They STILL make my normal laundry smell when I was them together.

I do laundry once a week or whenever I need more clean clothes, but I don’t want to do a separate load each week for 5 T-shirts.

How do you guys handle your sweaty ass shirts and keep them from making your normal clothes gross?

Febreeze on the gym clothes if I wear a normal cotton shirt/vest.

Otherwise, get some proper breathable, antibacterial-treated athletic shirts - I find they tend not to retain as much smell.

Febreeze only covers up the smell. I’m talking about how the sweat sort of rots the clothes so they always smell, even after washing. I should get some breathable shirts, but I don’t want to be the asshole in sleeveless Underarmor. I’ll probably go to Target and buy some of those thin material T-shirts.

I just wear those white t-shirts that come like 5 or 10 in a pack from kohls. THey are pretty thin, and I’ve never noticed any smell. And I’m a sweaty bastard.

I throw’em away, nothing really else to do I don’t think. I went to the ultimate source of laundry knowledge, mom, to figure out if they could be fixed. She said they were ruined and just to pitch’em.

I also sweat a lot, but I’ve never really had this issue. I’ve never had a funky shirt make the rest of my laundry rank when washing it. What kind of laundry detergent are you using?

However, once a shirt starts to get too nasty, I throw it out. Perhaps it’s time for some new t-shirts. Go buy a 3-pack of generic Hanes t-shirts from Target or Wal-Mart.

Won’t the white ones get see-through and ghey when sweaty?

As soon as you get home, dump them into some cold water and let them soak for 5 minutes or so, maybe give it a stir every now and then. Then take them out and let them dry and then wash normally. Keep in mind this will only keep new stuff from going bad, the stuff already rough and stinky as you say might be a lost cause at this point.

You might want to give baking soda a try. Wash just your gym stuff with whatever detergent you are using and depending on the load size, about half a cup or so of baking soda. That might help with the stuff already bad but just a guess on my part.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Won’t the white ones get see-through and ghey when sweaty?[/quote]

Um…they sell 2 and 3-packs in other colors besides white. White ones can get see-through if the material is too thin, so don’t buy those. Get ones made out of thicker material.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Won’t the white ones get see-through and ghey when sweaty?[/quote]

There is nothing ghey about getting sweaty in the gym. If other folks notice your perky nipples showing through your wet t, then their ghey. I don’t give a crap about my sweaty t, I wear it with pride. My shirts don’t normally stink after being washed, however my gym shorts always smell kind of funny…

Have you tried Underarmor? I have 1 Underarmor loose fit shirt I wear for training, all I do is hang it up when I’m done so it can dry and it never stinks.

I also wear UnderArmour and have had no problems. Bonus, you can wash it in the shower, wring it out (good grip/forearm work), hang it up, and it’ll be dry and odor free by the next a.m.

Also, their boxers are fantastic; a little pricey but well worth it. No more wetness that leads to chafing as with cotton boxers or briefs. Absolutely NO comparison!

[quote]WxHerk wrote:

Also, their boxers are fantastic; a little pricey but well worth it. No more wetness that leads to chafing as with cotton boxers or briefs. Absolutely NO comparison![/quote]

Check out the Calvin Klein body micro model. Hands down the best underwear I have ever worn. But they ought to be at $23 a pop.

Whatever you have after the gym that has sweat on it, hang it up in fresh air or wash it, don’t let it sit in a pile on the floor or in a backpack or something like that.

underarmour is the way to go

definitely hang 'em up so they dry.
it might be a mildew related stench, the kind that only bleach can cure.

[quote]WxHerk wrote:
I also wear UnderArmour and have had no problems. Bonus, you can wash it in the shower, wring it out (good grip/forearm work), hang it up, and it’ll be dry and odor free by the next a.m.

[/quote]

yes exactly… underarmour, walk into the shower with it on, wring it out & put it on a hanger. done.

if i’m @ the gym i put the wet clothes in a plastic grocery bag in my gym bag until i get home to hang them.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Have you tried Underarmor? I have 1 Underarmor loose fit shirt I wear for training, all I do is hang it up when I’m done so it can dry and it never stinks.[/quote]

+1.

I’ve got 3 UA loose fit t’s that I’ve been using for alomost 2 years and they’re still in good shape, no stink. I wear the shorts made of the same fabric and same deal, no stink. It’s cheaper to pick up a few of them, then always buying the 3$ per pack white t’s.

Clicked because I thought it said Tom Landry.

I go to footlocker/champs sports and they sell some pretty heavy,good quality T-shirts for 5 for 20 dollars.

diggerent places different deals I am sure but its a good deal

they get soaked and when sitting in a 130 degree car for the rest of the day the ysmell really horrible.
sweat smells like pee after a while

to wash them I wash my workout clothing seperate from the rest of my clothes and I wash with baking soda on top of the soap and stuff
then I run them in another wash cycle,this time white vinegar added.
about 2 cups of eache per cycle.

and then dry on really high heat with fab. softner and they come out smellin nice.

I do this because for a while they would smell clean untill about an hour into my work out they smelled moldy again,this solved any hint of grunge there was.

I also use well water at my house so that may be the moldy smell.