T Nation

T-Man Down But Not Out

Seems I’ve been having some pretty severe gall bladder problems of late. Started happening about 2 months ago and after a while, I started to notice a correlation between my fat meals and the attacks. Canned herring and fish oil pills were the only things that were present in my stomach during each attack. I spoke to a surgeon today who instructed me to have it taken out if the HIDA test I’ll be having next Tuesday shows that it isn’t functioning properly.

So, my diet has been difficult to stick to of late, I have a pretty constant upset stomach, indigestion and cramping, with severe attacks happening every 10 days or so. Needless to say, no more fish oil or herring or anything else too fatty until things are sorted out.

I am still working out and surprisingly, my energy levels are still high enough for me to progress, but I realize that this won’t last. If I have the surgery, I’m guessing I’ll be out of the gym for a week or so. The thing is, there’s a 9 month waitig list here in Alberta for the procedure, so I could have some pretty serious setbacks to my physique while I am waiting.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated if any of you have had similar experiences.

I realize there are many people out there with far worse problems and I don’t want to appear to be complaining, I just would like to know as much as I can about this. After reading so many inspirational stories on this board from people who have had cancer and other ailments, I’m pretty lucky to only have this to deal with.

Sorry to hear the news, CGB!

Take heart though, as it’s a fairly routine surgery.

Since the gall bladder is a storage reservoir for the bile created by the liver and also concentrates the bile for better processing of fats, your symptoms sound spot on.

It’s my understanding, (and there are lots of T-Folks out there with far more knowledge than I on this subject) that after the removal of the gall bladder, because the bile flows into the intestines straight from the liver, it isn’t as concentrated and therefore fats aren’t metabolised quite as fast. But overall, the digestive process isn’t compromised all that much.

I’m sure you’ll get better and more detailed explanations, but I just wanted to try and set your mind at ease, to a certain extent.

Good luck, man!

I’m not an expert on the gallbladder or anything but if your symptoms are caused by you having gallstones and not gallbladder dysfunction then it is possible to rid yourself of them naturally. Quite a few older folks I know have rid themselves of gallstones by using the following remedy:
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup lemon juice

on a semi-empty stomach (don’t eat a few hours beforehand) and starting 1 hour before bed drink 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup olive oil at 15 minute increments up until bedtime then sleep on your right side. The large amount of fat coupled with the detoxification effect of the lemon juice causes your gall bladder to open up which will release the gallstones.

I had exactly the same problem when I was 18, I was bodybuilding at the time, I had been from the age of 12, I used to get cramps in the middle of the night at first, I put it down to those Joe Weider protein shakes, but then after 2 - 3 months it happened all the time after a fatty meal. It took my doctors ages to realise it was a gall stone, they put me on zantac’s for a suspected stomach ulcer for a long time, but obviously it did not work. Finally I had an ultrasound and then had the gall bladder taken out, 3 days in hospital, a few more weeks to recover, have been ok ever since, I have even been on high fat diets with no problems, However for the first year or so I did not even think about food with fat in it, I felt physically sick of the idea. I’m sure it was due to the crap in those Joe Weider products around at that time, as at 18 years old I was very young to have a gall stone.

mamann, the doc tells me the same thing concerning digestion. The consensus from people I’ve spoken to seems to be that after the surgery, I’ll notice a world of difference in that I’ll be able to get back to my normal diet which will include lots of fat and that only minimal changes will be noticed in my digestion. I appreciate the words of encouragement!

Kelly, I’ve been given the same remedy by my girlfriend. I haven’t really thought much about it, though, mainly because I’m more than a little concerned about provoking another attack by ingesting oil like that. However, I need to find out whether it is actually stones or not that are responsible and if this is the case, I will seriously look into this before I go under the knife. Thank you!

bloatedballs, 18 does sound a little young, but at that age, I’d figure that you’d bounce back pretty quick and be better than ever. Gallbladder problems are probably the least of your worries with Weider products! Antacids seem to be something many people get put on with gallbladder problems. My surgeon told me that they will enable your stomach to empty it’s contents more efficiently and that way, the chances of an atack may be reduced. It doesn’t work for everyone, he says, but he wants me to start taking Losec, I believe it’s called.

I’ll let you all know what happens after my test next week. Thanks so much.

If it comes to that, it is a relatively simple procedure. Quite a change from what it was.