T Nation

T-Lowering Drugs for HRT Test?

I feel like crap, and the vast majority of my symptoms are consistent with low testosterone levels. I want to get a blood test done to demonstrate low T levels, but I believe that starving myself and sleep-depriving myself won’t be enough. What drugs can you guys recommend? I’d like to temporarily lower my testosterone levels, and perhaps even increase my estrogen levels.

Binge drink the alcohol…it works well I believe. Also, I believe there was an article on this. If I remember correctly it involves some bad lifestyle changes for a few days.

Schwarzzenegar suggested 4 hours of sleep a night, 2 a day workouts/exercise, lots of caffeine and alcohol consumption, and not eating anything for 24-48 hours before the test.

I can’t remember the name of the article… Maybe I’ll go find it.

[quote]RowaH wrote:
I feel like crap, and the vast majority of my symptoms are consistent with low testosterone levels. I want to get a blood test done to demonstrate low T levels, but I believe that starving myself and sleep-depriving myself won’t be enough. What drugs can you guys recommend? I’d like to temporarily lower my testosterone levels, and perhaps even increase my estrogen levels.[/quote]

~You say that you believe that you have low testosterone levels.
~You say that starving yourself and sleep-depriving yourself won’t be enough to get the low level you want.

???

Which is it? If you are simply trying to “cheat” a blood test in order to get legally prescribed testosterone then say so. Bear in mind that 90% of doctors and probably 99% of Endocrinologists will start you on a Cream-Base, with consistant blood work to see/verify your levels and overall health which might not allow you to run it the way you might be wanting to. There is much to think about and it probably will not be all that you might be expecting.

But as far as the question: Look into Tagamet; brand name for Cimetidine- an over-the-counter ‘H2-antagonist’ (think Antacid section) and others like Ranitidine work, but not as well as Tagamet.

Other antigens like spiolactone work too, but only in one direction.
4 Tagamets over a course of 12 hours should cut your testosterone levels in half, reduce dht, and increases E2 and free estrogen - sounds perfect for ya.

I’d also increase your caffiene consumption prior to your test as it helps with clearance and removal of your androgens (not directly though) all while not sleeping the night before: Don’t think of this as a week or so long process, 1 night will do the trick.

The article is called “Your Doctor, Your Dealer”.

[quote]Inner Hulk wrote:
Schwarzzenegar suggested 4 hours of sleep a night, 2 a day workouts/exercise, lots of caffeine and alcohol consumption, and not eating anything for 24-48 hours before the test.

I can’t remember the name of the article… Maybe I’ll go find it. [/quote]
“Your Doctor, Your Dealer”

Good read in all. A little unneccasary for the most part as far as all of the procedures go. Hormonal levels change very rapidly and with caffiene, etc to help ‘clear’ it, one could “flunk” a test within a day. Are you wanting low testosterone levels for a week, or for a day or so?

You can also use most female birth control pills, as the estrogen will shut down your natural production. I haven’t experimented with it, and I don’t know what the dose:reaction would be, but it could presumably be used to avoid the “shitty lifestyle” method. I’d imagine loading up on BC pills and Nolva a couple days prior would do the trick, but again I can’t say for sure.

The shitty lifestyle definitely works like a charm. Two days of hell will drop anyone’s T to rock-bottom levels.

Also don’t forget about what else was said about getting a prescription for medical purposes. You won’t get the type (initially) or the amount (ever) to run a cycle, unless of course you saved it up over a year and did it, but it really isn’t very economical. Anyway, if you have a legitimate medical concern and you have borderline-low T, I say go for it. The whole HRT/insurance/proper dosing thing is really a pain in the ass.

But it’s well worth it.

Anyways, thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I thought I would get slammed hard, and I didn’t :slight_smile:

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:
You can also use most female birth control pills, as the estrogen will shut down your natural production. I haven’t experimented with it, and I don’t know what the dose:reaction would be, but it could presumably be used to avoid the “shitty lifestyle” method. I’d imagine loading up on BC pills and Nolva a couple days prior would do the trick, but again I can’t say for sure.[/quote]

You are an absolute IDIOT for posting such BS. You obviously know VERY little IF anything concerning Human Physiology or drug metabolism/adverse side effects. That being the case, keep your “thoughts” to yourself OR better yet, why don’t YOU ingest some estrogen/progesterone and then let us all know the outcome!

[quote]
The whole HRT/insurance/proper dosing thing is really a pain in the ass.[/quote]

REALLY??? Again, I don’t think you know IF it’s difficult or not! My guess is, You’ve NEVER even discussed this topic with a Physician before, let alone asking for an RX.

How old are you??? 17, 18 ???

R69~

I really don’t like the Birth Control idea. Seems a bit reckless both for advice and if taken, plus ones’ estrogen/progesterone (among other things) are going to be completely out of whack and the doctor is going to think WTF?! Add that the testosterone lowering effect is going to take days, while something like Tagamet & caffiene will take less than a day or “a shitty lifestyle” should only take a day - all without estrogen sides, extreme or abnormal levels, testicular cell death, etc.

damn, scwarzy really got rooster rocking…

Wow, Rooster, thank you for the insightful reply. Estrogen is the primary hormone that regulates testosterone production. I suggest you educate yourself on this subject before making further recommendations.

I don’t feel I have to validate myself to you, but for others that may be confused, I am on HRT and have been for some time. The way insurance works with HRT prescriptions is different depending on the insurance company you have. Many employment or military insurance plans are pretty easy-going about covering the costs. Private insurance is another thing. Many of these companies will try to dick you in any way possible, and depending on various conditions of your health, age, length of current enrollment, etc. it can be difficult to get HRT fully covered.

TheBeat, the increase in estrogen could likely be too much to seem within normal limits, however this wouldn’t interfere with obtaining HRT. It may incline the doctor to prescribe other drugs to control the perceived excess estrogen production, but this really isn’t out of the ordinary. Many people who have low T levels have elevated E levels, which is one mechanism by which some people have lowered T levels, though this is primarily the case in overweight/obese individuals.

As I said I do not know the dose:response relationship, though this method is a viable solution. I would suggest anyone to follow my initial recommendations of a “shitty lifestyle” before trying birth control pills. I threw the idea out there simply for conversation. I also suggested Nolvadex in combination with the BC pills to control the elevated estrogen/progesterone side effects, though these would be minimal and transitory due to the short dosing period.