T Nation

T Level DROPPED on Androgel 1.62%

Hey Guys – Just wanted to get a thread started to see if anybody else experienced this. I was running around 800 on the 1% daily packets, applying to shoulders and stomach. I switched to 1.62%, applied it only to the shoulders – and my T level showed up as 220-ish on my last blood test, after about 6 months. Thinking of switching back to the 1% because I’ve heard a few guys complain that 1.62% is a scam, and it doesn’t work as well, doesn’t contain enough T, etc.

Anybody else have a story about trying 1.62?

I only did testim and a iron, but what I learned from them is that transdermals can be shitty for absorption. In a month on testim my test level raised a whopping 2 points and I felt much shittier that before starting the test. If you can get your doctor on board go to frequent injections. I feel much improved on injections and now don’t worry about my daughter getting any of the gel on her.

[quote]hakrjak wrote:
Hey Guys – Just wanted to get a thread started to see if anybody else experienced this. I was running around 800 on the 1% daily packets, applying to shoulders and stomach. I switched to 1.62%, applied it only to the shoulders – and my T level showed up as 220-ish on my last blood test, after about 6 months. Thinking of switching back to the 1% because I’ve heard a few guys complain that 1.62% is a scam, and it doesn’t work as well, doesn’t contain enough T, etc.

Anybody else have a story about trying 1.62?[/quote]

I would suggest switching to shots. More cost effective.

I use the 1.62 4pmps per day.
on 2 pmps I went from 336 natural to 313 after a month, two months with 4 pmps I was at 549.
Next blood work 6 months later (my doctor sucks) and I only had 2 pmps the day b4 the test I was back to 249.

Since, I started rubbing Pholgel ultra on top of the 1.62 and on 2 pmps I was in the mid 700’s.
I never did 4pmps plus phlo and went to testing, fearing my doc would cut me back to 2 pmps if I came in too high. My co-pay was only $10 per month, now the discount card has been maxed and its $50 per month so I am
going to start injections monday.

Some people, me included respond to topical then don’t. Absorption gets less and less effective.
I would respond, then numbers would drop, dose increased. It would work for awhile… then up the dose. I was basically paining my chest and shoulders with Androgel.

Androgel is the scam…
~$300/month (insurance cost) plus a $70 copay in my case…

5% Compounded $15 month without insurance. Worked much better
Absorption still trailed off.

Shots have been SO much better. Even with old school every 3 week dose (300)… I got a new doc and he’s moved me to 400 every 2 weeks just yesterday. I’ve been told he support self administration…

I called a local compound pharmacy, asked the q’s in the stickies, what docs order this for their patients regularly etc. The pharmacist acted like I was from mars with the questions. I left a message for my doc about compound test and he said Androgel or shots. The guy is one of those docs that doesn’t want to hear what you have to say. Supposed to get 2 shots per month, $40 co pay each one. I will ask about self admin but I am pretty sure he will shoot it down. Time to find a new doc.
I agree Androgel is a huge ripoff. 1.2mg in a bottle of basically alcohol based hand cleaner for $300…that amount of test is worth about $10, and more like less than $1 to a large mfg. What a complete scam.

TAKE THE SHOTS if you can at all afford it! <edit, But topical stops working for me! so that would bias me>

I’ve been on 300 every 3 weeks and the third week (at times) sucked… But better then topical.

But if you do topical, I found that using different areas (like calves) stretched out how long before I would stop responding…

Flushing Niacin also seemed to force faster/better absorption (think it is due to the massive blood flow in the skin from the flushing)…

Eh, the cost isn’t a concern to me – I’ve got great insurance, and with the discount card it’s about $10 per month. My doc bumped me up to 4 pumps a day if I want them, but I found it makes me very anxious. After doing that for awhile, I checked my blood pressure and it was 150/98 one day. Normally I run a perfect 120/80 – So I decided to go back to 2 pumps per day.

Not really interested in shots – Just not my thing. The transferring gel to family is somewhat of a myth I think. I had my wife go get a T test after 6 months of me being on the gel, jumping all over her, sharing baths, everything – and her T actually came up low.

Cheers,

-Hakrjak

Had my first shot today after a yr of androgel.
I hate needles, and got all freaked out about changing…turns out to be a whole lot of nuthin’.
Kind of embarrassed I was so paranoid about it.
We’ll see if the change is as significant as the thousands of threads say it is.

Update on this thread. I switched back to Androgel 1% and was functional for awhile, but not great. Crashed hard a couple months back and ultimately switched to shots which seem to be helping. :smiley:

I was being kind of a wuss about the needles, but now self inject or with the wife’s help. It’s really no big deal!

Update on this thread. I switched back to Androgel 1% and was functional for awhile, but not great. Crashed hard a couple months back and ultimately switched to shots which seem to be helping. :smiley:

I was being kind of a wuss about the needles, but now self inject or with the wife’s help. It’s really no big deal!