T Nation

T Dosage with Low SHBG

Hi all

After a year of trying different soft approaches, my doctor finally agreed to put me on T injections. We tried HcG Monotherapy, then HcG plus Arimidex for 6 months, but my T only increased a little and I was not feeling any better, thus why she is trying T injections now.

Now, I am on 50mg of Test Ethanate (Delatestryl) per week and 1mg Arimidex per week in divided doses. I know that this is a very small dosage, but my Endo told me that my SHBG was so low (always around 10 nmol/L ref: 12-46) that this could do the trick. Also, she only want to add HcG if I am considering having kids in the near future.

My question: Is she right about this? Since TRT will stop my body from producing T, can the small quantity I inject put me in a situation where I will have less T than before?

As reference, here're my last labs when I was on HcG and Arimidex only :

SHBG = 10 nmol/L (12-46) (LOW)
Testosterone (Total) = 13.9 nmol/L (10-30)
Free Testosterone = 523 pmol/L (223-915)
FSH = 03 UI/L (1.4-18.1) (LOW)
LH = 0.2 UI/L (1.5-9.3)(LOW)
E2 = 24 pmol/L (No reference value)
DHEA-SO4 = 8.9 umol/L (1.4-12.5)
Prolactin = 7.3 ug/L (2-18)
Progesterone = 4.21 nmol/L (0.9-3.9) (HIGH)
TSH = 4.45 mUI/L (0.35-5.50)
Free t3 = 6.3 pmol/L (3.5-6) (HIGH)
Free t4 = 14.7 pmol/L (10-23)

Thanks!

uhmmmm..... yeah.... you do know that your TSH is sending off major alarms, right?

TSH > 1 = a possible problem
TSH > 2 = a problem
TSH > 3 = a serious problem

you should go by how you feel, but 50mg a week seems extremely low not withstanding your low SHBG.

what are your symptoms and issues?

have you ever read stopthethyroidmadness.com/things-we-have-learned?

Thanks for the reply PureChance!

I read stopthethyroidmadness.com when my GF was diagnosed Hashimoto s, but I'll go back to the site and have a thorough read.

So, yeah, I'm aware that my TSH is high :frowning:
My Endo wants to wait a little longer before putting me on Meds for that since my TSH labs have been moving between 2.0 and 4.5 in the last year.

As a quick pointer, my body temp is always around 97 F, and only moves around 98.6 when I'm working out. Iâ??ll try supplementing my diet with 2 drops of iodine every morning to see if it improves anything.

As to how I feel and what my symptoms are, well, to put it simple I'm feeling like I'm 90 yrs old (I'm 33). I'm always tired and brain foggy. I also have Low libido, no drive to do anything, low endurance and very bad recuperation after training. I'm having a hard time losing weight too - all my fat is located around the belly area. This is not a consequence of a bad lifestyle; I eat clean and barely drink 2 beers a week. I try to train 3-4 days a week and I take all the necessary supplements (Iâ??ve been working out and supplementing for the last 14 years).

Another thing just popped up today. I received my lab results for my fasting glucose test: I suffer from reactive hypoglycemia. This can possibly explain why I am tired after eating meals.

Were you using any iodized salt?

Yup, but in very little quantity since I am prone to high blood pressure.

thyroid issues and adrenal issues seem to go hand in hand.

and adrenal issues can lead to salt/electrolyte issues...

for example, my blood pressure dropped by 20 points once I started taking 2-3 teaspoon coarse sea salt every day. my resting heart rate also dropped, and a sweating issue I had stopped completely.

do a search for aldosterone sea salt pupil test.

That's really interesting. I did the ELISA/ACT Saliva Cortisol test last year and it came back normal...but I'll still try to add some sea salt to my meals in the next few weeks and see how it goes.

I would not just start adding salt if you have high blood pressure. I was only advising researching aldosterone and the sea salt pupil test.

as a side note, simply adding a little sea salt to my diet did nothing for me. I have to take 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt tossed to the back of my throat and chug down a full glass of water for it to have any affect.

Ah ok! Thanks!

I'll do more digging before trying that then :slightly_smiling:
I'll ask my Endo about her thoughts on this next week.

hhmmmm, yeah... good luck with that (seriously)..

but I would expect your endo to look at you like you are crazy to even be asking about sea salt... with her advice being to stay away from any 'natural/herbal/homeopathic' remedies.