T-Dog

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_tenancious_terrier

Tiny terrier dies after saving 5 kids Tue May 1, 11:43 PM ET

A plucky foot-high Jack Russell terrier named George saved five New Zealand children from two marauding pitbulls, but was so severely mauled in the fight he had to be destroyed, his owner said Wednesday.

George was playing with the group of children as they returned home from buying sweets at a neighborhood shop in the small North Island town of Manaia last Sunday when the two pitbulls appeared and lunged toward them, his owner Allan Gay said.

“George was brave he took them on and he’s not even a foot high,” Gay told The Associated Press. "He jumped in on them, he tried to keep them off.

“If it wasn’t for George, those kids would have copped it.”

One of the children, Richard Rosewarne, 11, was quoted in the Taranaki Daily News on Wednesday as saying George fought with the pitbulls to keep them off his four-year-old brother, Darryl.

“George tried to protect us by barking and rushing at them, but they started to bite him one on the head and the other on the back,” Rosewarne said. “We ran off crying and some people saw what was happening and rescued George.”

But George, aged 9, was so badly mauled that a veterinarian had to put him down, Gay said.

“The two pitbulls ripped the skin from his throat and chest and down his back,” he said, adding the tough little terrier also “had a bad heart condition.”

Gay said the pitbulls’ owner had surrendered the pair to dog control officers, and demanded they be destroyed, claiming they had launched unprovoked attacks previously.

South Taranaki District Council official Graham Young said the two dogs had been impounded, and likely would be destroyed because of the attack.

In New Zealand, owners of dogs judged to be too aggressive can be required to have them neutered and dogs involved in attacks are destroyed.

Poor dog. I’ve seen a pitbull open another dog from neck to tail right in front of me. It took 3 shots from a 30-30 to kill the pitbull. The other dog had to be shot also. Gruesome isn’t the word to describe it.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Damn, I’ve gone all goosepimply after reading that. [/quote]

Ditto. I know we have a lot of pitbull enthusiasts around here so I have a question. There are 3 different “types” of pitbulls right? When they news reports an attack, is it usually the same type, or could it be any of the three?

I wouldn’t mind going out like that.

[quote]Revo09 wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
Damn, I’ve gone all goosepimply after reading that.

Ditto. I know we have a lot of pitbull enthusiasts around here so I have a question. There are 3 different “types” of pitbulls right? When they news reports an attack, is it usually the same type, or could it be any of the three?[/quote]

Usually it’s any of those, and a lot of times they will report a dog that looks like a pit, a pitbull.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Gay said the pitbulls’ owner had surrendered the pair to dog control officers, and demanded they be destroyed, [/quote]claiming they had launched unprovoked attacks previously[quote].[/quote]

How many attacks did this guy need before he thought it would be a good idea to put the dogs down? How many of these children could have died if that little terrier hadn’t had the balls to defend them?

Too bad our George is killing our kids in Iraq. Ironic, isn’t it? Guess all George’s can’t be bad.

[quote]micromuscle wrote:
Too bad our George is killing our kids in Iraq. Ironic, isn’t it? Guess all George’s can’t be bad.[/quote]

Yeah, maybe we should send a Jack Russell, like George the dog, to the White House to stop Bush. One look at that dog, and our troops will be home quick. The little guy could be a democrat as well, that’ll teach 'em.

Ridiculous.

[quote]micromuscle wrote:
Too bad our George is killing our kids in Iraq. Ironic, isn’t it? Guess all George’s can’t be bad.[/quote]

There is a politics forum for a reason. Please keep your trolling posts there.

I own a Jack-Russell Terrier, he is a menace to society. He is very protective of me though and really doesnt like anyone else. He barks at everything that intrudes his space so I can see how this dog tried to face two intruding dogs when he was playing with those kids.

They are very loyal to their owners unlike some dogs. I gave mine some extra attention (even an extra treat) last night because of the article. I also gave him a whey protein shake so he can g et strong enough to take on two pit bulls. Okay not really but I thought about it.

[quote]Raven3606 wrote:
I own a Jack-Russell Terrier, he is a menace to society. He is very protective of me though and really doesnt like anyone else. He barks at everything that intrudes his space so I can see how this dog tried to face two intruding dogs when he was playing with those kids.

They are very loyal to their owners unlike some dogs. I gave mine some extra attention (even an extra treat) last night because of the article. I also gave him a whey protein shake so he can g et strong enough to take on two pit bulls. Okay not really but I thought about it.[/quote]

Maybe that’s the problem – George was exhausted from the taxing fight but he wasn’t given the proper post-workout nutrition. Hmm. Perhaps a shaker of Surge would have saved the day?

Awesome story. I wonder why some people own dogs if they let them loose and then complain that they’ve attacked unprovoked before?

I have a Jack Russell and he’s an angel. It all comes down to training. He is a little yappy but one word from us and he stops instantly.

He was a terror when he was a puppy though, I’m glad those days are over.

Pits are fabulous dogs if the owner trains them and treats them right. This is the owner’s fault, for letting them run and for not training his dogs. He should get jail time, the asshole.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
micromuscle wrote:
Too bad our George is killing our kids in Iraq. Ironic, isn’t it? Guess all George’s can’t be bad.

There is a politics forum for a reason. Please keep your trolling posts there.[/quote]

Second that.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Pits are fabulous dogs if the owner trains them and treats them right. This is the owner’s fault, for letting them run and for not training his dogs. He should get jail time, the asshole.[/quote]

Agreed.

It’s as simple as not letting your dogs run loose. Those dogs could have easily killed one of those little kids. If that had happened, the blood would be on the irresponsible owners hands. He should be heavily fined and given jail time.