T Nation

T-dawg/ Water retention

Everytime I go on a low carb/high fat diet, I actually retain water. This also happened when I was taking 12 fish oil caps a day. I recall someone posting about this before, but couldn't find it in the search engine. Could the extra oils and fats be contributing somehow to holding extra water? I'm 4 days into t-dawg, and my pants are actually tighter. Calories are right on. Not very encouraging to say the least. I drink 1 1/2 gallons per day of water as well, so I don't believe that's the problem. Any ideas? Going strictly pro today to see what happens.

It could be that in the absence of carbohydrates you're consuming a lot more high sodium foods which is typical of meat and other high protein foods and your sodium/potassium balance is getting thrown out of whack causing you to retain water. Another possibility is you're just getting bloated due to the protein and fat taking longer to digest and without the extra fiber from carbohydrates your system is just kind've chugging along. I don't see where fish oil caps could make you retain water as they seemed to do the exact opposite with me and some others I know. Try either decreasing sodium, adding potassiu, or adding fiber and see what happens. If this doesn't work then you might just need to stick with higher carbs as some people do.

Never heard of anyone retaining water on a low carb diet myself. Usually quite the opposite. Could be the sodium thing I suppose.

I think Kelly hit the nail on the head when he said that the fat and protein are slowing digestion and you're not getting enough fiber. Your digestive system probably has 4 days of T-Dawg food in it. When was that last time you took a dump? Try adding a fiber supplement if that's the problem.