T Nation

T-Dawg: i need more protein!

After two days on T-Dawg, i’ve come to realize that i’m always about 50g short on protein.

cal/carb/prot/fat
goal: 2530/100/307/100
day 1: 2470/94/250/118
day 2: 2284/98/253/94

My diet consists mainly of fish, beef, eggs, cheese, nuts, veggies, low-carb GROW and Surge. So without spending any more money on supplements, what would be a good way to get those extra 50g of protein?

Eat more of what you’re already eating dummy.

One tub of fat free cottage cheese has 50+ grams of protein. Or you could do what the person above said…eat more of what you already eat…haha.

Chicken

I agree with the above posts – toss in some chicken (you can nuke a frozen breast in less than 10 minutes), eat some cottage cheese, and eat more of the protein sources you’re already eating. You could also toss in a can of tuna which has around 30 grams of protein.

I don’t think you do need more protein. Even if you do weigh 307 pounds, you don’t need to have your protein that high (unless you’re 307 solid muscle!), especially at the expense of healthy fats. If you want to get your total calories up to 2530 (probably a good number), add some flax oil, fish oil, and olive oil.

Max, I see an opportunity, here. How long do you sleep? Probably in the neighborhood of eight hours. That’s a long time to go without any protein if you’re running short to begin with. Make yourself a protein shake and chug it down in the middle of the night when you hit the bathroom. Problem solved. (grin)

No, i don’t weigh 307 lbs - i’m aiming for 1.5g of protein/lb, so my weight is actually 205 or so.

As for eating more of what i’m eating already, that’s easier said than done. I’m already full all the time, so i would have to literally force myself to eat the chicken.

Terry’s idea sounds about right, except that i don’t usually wake up in the middle of the night. I could probably squeeze the shake in during the day though.

Max, there’s a couple of other things you could do. Calculate your protein requirements based on your LBM. T-Dawg calculates it off of TBW, but if your BF% is high, doing it off of LBM makes more sense.

Also, if you’re running full most of the time, you could cut your carbs a bit, though carbs provide variety and are a quality of life kinda thing. Myself, if something had to give, try dropping fat to 75g per day.

Finally, try and tough it out for a week or two, even if you end up running short here and there. After the two weeks, if you’re not losing one pound per week, you’re going to need to drop your calories a bit. Remember, this is a “settle-in” period. Adjustments will have to be made.

Take care, Max, and please let us know how it goes.