T Nation

T-Bar Row Setup

Probably a dumb question, but can someone give me some instructions on how to set up a T-bar row? I know i need a corner and a barbell, lol. How do I get it to stay?

top right corner… there appears to be a search button!

It’s a real bitch not having a proper T-Bar row machine in your gym isn’t it! I’ve improvised by getting a bar, lodging it under one the weight ‘trees’, and using a D handle (the ones used on seated rows etc) to lift it. Works pretty well, only problem is if your form goes a little bit at the end of the set it can come loose.

Use this for the t-bar row handle. Slide it right up tight against the rotating sleeve where you’ll load the plates. The pivot-end of the bar should stay put in the corner when you row.

This is what I did. I was having trouble with the bar lifting off so what I did was I got me a sledgehammer, make sure the gym is empty people don’t like property damage, I wedged the empty bar in the corner and proceeded to pound it into the corner till the drywall gave through and the bar notched the 2x4 corner. Hasn’t lifted off since.

I merely covered up the damage by putting a box in the corner that I use for squats that rarely gets moved. My two centavos. Another approach is buying one of those brackets that you have to epoxy into the ground that holds the bar in place. Where there’s a will there’s a way. Best of luck. -GB

If you put a heavy dumbell(I use an 85 lb) over one end of the bar you dont need a corner.

at my gym we arent allowed to put it in the corner so we get someone to put there foot on it, works well

You can put a 10# or a 25# plate on the far end and another two to stop it from rolling side to side.

[quote]derek wrote:
Use this for the t-bar row handle. Slide it right up tight against the rotating sleeve where you’ll load the plates. The pivot-end of the bar should stay put in the corner when you row.[/quote]

not to hijack this thread but Derek if you have a t-bar row machine do you still think this is the best and most natrual way to do t-bar rows

at my gym the bar fits right under the end of bench…and use the seated row handle with the barbell

I put the unweighted end into the corner, load a couple of smaller plates on to give myself some hand room, then load on the large plates.
I have used the handle as posted by Derek above but I like the overhand grip better so I usually use the ezy bar which can stay balanced in the middle.
Improvisation is good sometimes, you have to be adaptable.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
This is what I did. I was having trouble with the bar lifting off so what I did was I got me a sledgehammer, make sure the gym is empty people don’t like property damage, I wedged the empty bar in the corner and proceeded to pound it into the corner till the drywall gave through and the bar notched the 2x4 corner. Hasn’t lifted off since.

I merely covered up the damage by putting a box in the corner that I use for squats that rarely gets moved. My two centavos. Another approach is buying one of those brackets that you have to epoxy into the ground that holds the bar in place. Where there’s a will there’s a way. Best of luck. -GB[/quote]

I butt a bar against the foot plate I never use in my rack and have my daughter stand on the end. I haven’t gotten around to inventing something for that yet though I have some ideas.

We have retards at our gym that put the oly bars in the corner and use a machine handle to row with. Problem is that the bar end grinds away at the wall, causing brick dust to enter the bearing. Pretty soon you have a bar with a non-rotating sleeve, not good.
Even worse the bars they used (and fucked up, good style)were a) the club power bar and b)an Eleiko weightlifting bar.

The sports centre banned the exercise, but still it got done (after we, the PL club, complained the two bars were replaced by a brand new £500 Eleiko bar. One week later the same retards had started using this bar) despite numerous times being told it was a banned ex, that it broke the bars (it aleays seemed that they phantom T bar rowers did their session when no PL club members were there. Anyway T-bar rows stopped when “someone” hid the triangle handle.
A T-bar machine would have made everyone happy!