T Nation

T-Bar Row Replacements

when i work back i like to do t-bar rows.my gym doesn’t have this. is there a replacement exercise with same effect for a thick back? sugeestions please.

Does your gym have corners?

Take an olympic bar, stick it in a corner (or in the corner of a squat/power rack) and put a v-handle on the top end of the bar (behind the collar). Stick weights on, row away. Its generally best to use smaller weights (like 25s) to increase the ROM.

Bent rows work well too but the above suggestion is closer to the movement.

i had the same dilemma, i just do bent over rows, seems to be working as i can feel it all accross my upper back when im done. i also did the other variation mentions (olympic bar in a corner) that worked pretty good too but i wanted a wider grip so now just do bent over rows.

Chest supported dumbbell rows.

[quote]marathe wrote:
Does your gym have corners?

Take an olympic bar, stick it in a corner (or in the corner of a squat/power rack) and put a v-handle on the top end of the bar (behind the collar). Stick weights on, row away. Its generally best to use smaller weights (like 25s) to increase the ROM.[/quote]

We have the little machine thing at my gym, but I do these because they are better. With some finesse they can be done without a corner and with the use of a towel as handles. No excuse not to do em, unless they hurt you.