T Nation

T-Accountants Unite

http://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/sbg/tax-info/fed-taxes/start-up-costs-and-organizational-expenses.aspx

This will be helpful for Tyler, I think.

Awesome…thanks very much Lanky! This is an interesting suggestion. As a sole proprietor, I wouldn’t need any licensing with the state or county at all (I’ve researched the WA Business Licensing site), so this could fly. I’ve read through the link you sent but need to take another pass.

If I understand correctly, these business expenses would need to be listed on Schedule C…they are currently on my Schedule A. So I may need to upgrade the TT product to the Small Business one.

Again, thanks very much to you and Beans!

Edit: pulled the trigger too soon on this post since I thought they needed to be filed on Schedule E. Corrected.

I was right. I knew it was that straight forward.

They still aren’t business expenses. They are capital losses, which mean a 3k limit.

from the link [i]What if you don’t start the business? If you ultimately decide not to go into business, what happens to your costs? The portion of costs you paid to generally investigate the possibilities of going into business at all, or to purchase a non-specific existing business, are considered personal costs and are not deductible.

However, the total costs that you paid in your attempt to start or purchase a specific business would be considered a capital expense and you can claim it as a capital loss, subject to all the rules that apply to a nonbusiness capital loss.[/i]

So because we didn’t actually start the business in 2014, these would be considered a capital loss that would be captured on Schedule D?

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
So because we didn’t actually start the business in 2014, these would be considered a capital loss that would be captured on Schedule D? [/quote]

yes.

Fellow accountants, I have a little news. I am running for local office. Tax Assessor/Collector. So far it has been quite the experience. Just thought I would share.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Fellow accountants, I have a little news. I am running for local office. Tax Assessor/Collector. So far it has been quite the experience. Just thought I would share.[/quote]

You’ve sold your soul… My god.

Next you’ll tell me you joined the illuminati.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Fellow accountants, I have a little news. I am running for local office. Tax Assessor/Collector. So far it has been quite the experience. Just thought I would share.[/quote]

[/quote]

Or the Democratic party…

Zing!!

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
So because we didn’t actually start the business in 2014, these would be considered a capital loss that would be captured on Schedule D? [/quote]

yes. [/quote]

Thanks Beans. Now I have to figure out where on Sch D to capture this. Everything refers to the sale of stocks/bonds/etc (and forms 1099, 9849, etc.). It appears that I need to flag this as a nonbusiness capital loss.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[/quote]

I actually found out who really killed Kennedy. Not really that surprising actually.

Seriously though, the more I deal with this the more I am thinking this may be one of those bucket list things most people should try. You get the chance to meet a lot of new people and make some great connections, win or lose. Plus, you are essentially experiencing the system from the inside out. Hasn’t been all roses though as some people I thought were pretty close friends are campaigning against me but I expected something like that.

Enter it as a short term capital loss, don’t worry about tagging it as nonbusiness. Tell the software (should be a check box or something like it) it is a transaction that is not reported on a 1099-b and basis is not reported to the IRS.

Oops fucked this up. This is for Tyler23

Thanks Yonkey.

I entered two line items, both as short term losses, with a cost basis of $870 (Atty) & $200 (CPA) and Sale Proceeds of $0. They’re now showing on Schedule D with details listed on Form 8949. Description I put on 8949 is “Atty fees for exploring new business purchase that didn’t go through”.

Ended up saving $60 moving them here from Schedule A. :slight_smile:

I’ve got all my expenses calculated, just waiting on my 1099s, K-1s, etc. This might be the first time in 20 years I get my taxes sent in by 4/15.

How did it go? Did you get elected?

Powerlifting accountant checking in. Getting a meet in next week before busy season officially starts - I travel to my first audit client of the season the very next morning. Last year I traveled to a client and stayed in the same hotel as Eddie Coan. Accounting perks.

Graduating in May with my Masters of Science in Accounting. I have already accepted a job in Audit with Deloitte. Just thought I would share because when I was still in undergrad I asked questions in this thread regarding interviewing for internships. I have come a long way.

UK accountant stopping by. Got my final exam results the other day and am now an ACCA affiliate. I should be able to get my membership completed in the next few months.

Thought I’d resurrect this old thread instead of starting a new one.

I’m curious does anyone have any experience starting a consulting firm? I’m contemplating giving it a go and was curious if anyone has any resource recommendations or advice to offer.

I would be consulting primarily on budgeting, related analysis, and recommendations. I’m thinking about offering bookkeeping services as well.

I do a fair amount of this in my regular job at this point in my career.

Biggest downside… You have to be on your A game 24/7. You can’t have bad days. And you’ll be dealing with, and kissing the ass of incompetents. Some of those will throw you under the bus to cover up for their inability to get the job done. And you have to be very, very careful about your criticism of them to their management. It’s a song and dance, and an art form.

Your job, as owner/upper management will be significantly more about building relationships with clients and significantly less about teaching them how to do things. So you’ll need staff under you to do the teaching, while you develop the relationships. Which means hiring the right people, the first time.

Everything CB just said. Dealing with incompetent people would be the biggest challenge. Particularly from the stand point you have to micromanage but they’ll get upset you micromanage. And getting business.