T Nation

Synthroid Dosage

anybody know anything about this Thyroid and how, since I have to take it. I can use it to my advantage!

[quote]pittsace wrote:
anybody know anything about this Thyroid and how, since I have to take it. I can use it to my advantage![/quote]

I probably won’t be much help but, since I’m on Synthroid also I figure I’ll jump in.In my case I have a fairly underactive thyroid and for one it had me holding too much weight among a bunch of other medical no-no’s.From what I understand, if you up your dosages you can use it to lose weight.Problem is doc will want to know why you went through your script so fast!

I know a little something about this.

Not sure you wanna mess around with this to any advantage. It really depends on why you are on it in the first place?

But generally speaking, most people think if you lower the dosage-you gain weight, if you up the dosage-you loose weight. That is mostly true. However, upping the dosage could make you “hyper” (as oppose to hypo) and your heart will race, you can’t sleep, you feel fatigue, you will loose weight, but more muscle mass than body fat.

If you’re gonna play is safe, you could run on the high or low ends of your TSH, T3 & T4 levels…but you’ll need regular blood tests to monitor this.

[quote]Big Bird wrote:
I know a little something about this.

Not sure you wanna mess around with this to any advantage. It really depends on why you are on it in the first place?

But generally speaking, most people think if you lower the dosage-you gain weight, if you up the dosage-you loose weight. That is mostly true. However, upping the dosage could make you “hyper” (as oppose to hypo) and your heart will race, you can’t sleep, you feel fatigue, you will loose weight, but more muscle mass than body fat.

If you’re gonna play is safe, you could run on the high or low ends of your TSH, T3 & T4 levels…but you’ll need regular blood tests to monitor this.[/quote]

i just found out from the doc that i’m hypo…i’ll be taking Synthroid (T-4) at 25mcg/day. any word on how this worked out for you? any nutrients that help things out??

[quote]pittsace wrote:
anybody know anything about this Thyroid and how, since I have to take it. I can use it to my advantage![/quote]

Since you have to take it I assume then that you have a medical issue that warrants it. Don’t expect any anabolic gain from it. It’s not going to make you stronger. If you want to lose weight go with something else. I wouldn’t screw around with Synthroid. Just take it exactly as described.

I had my thyroid taken out 3 months ago and am on Synthroid 100mcg daily. This is a mid-range dose. Synthroid has 15 different strengths. Blood tests usually will determine where you need to be on the scale.

The advice that I was given from a pharmacist was to take the medicine at the same time every day. He recommended first thing in the morning upon awakening and not to eat anything for an hour. He told me not to take it at night because it’s a hormone and that I would “have dreams I would never forget”. Well, if you’re taking ZMA then you will have those anyway.

What I do sometimes is take the Synthroid when I get up in the middle of the night to take a piss. I’ll then lay back down for another hour or two and then get up that way I don’t have to wait around and can get right to the food or protein. I haven’t had any issues taking it either way.

Oh yeah, if you’re offered a generic at the pharmacy I wouldn’t take it. Just make sure the tablets say Synthroid on them. I hope this helps.

[quote]pittsace wrote:

i’ve been on synthroid (.175 mg) for about 15 years and quite honestly, my weight kept climbing for 10 of those years. i just recently got a hold of my bloodwork and find my T3 still on the low normal side. in doing some research, i quickly realized first off synthroid is first and foremost THE choice of conservative/hmo doctors for hypothyroidism.

some of T4 (synthetic or natural) is supposed to convert to T3. T3 is the hormone that is truly responsible for weight loss. what has recently been coming to light is that by upping T4 (with synthroid or other synthetic T4 drugs), T3 does not necessarily increase as a result. here’s copy of the T4 / T3 debate i’m talking about found on http://thyroid.about.com/

Q. The Claim: Synthroid is the Best Thyroid Hormone Replacement Drug

A. Levothyroxine is the synthetic form of T4, one of the two main hormones the thyroid produces. The most widely prescribed levothyroxine product is the brand name Synthroid.

Given that levothyroxine is the conventional medical world’s accepted treatment for hypothyroidism, most patients will find themselves prescribed levothyroxine, and usually Synthroid.

Synthroid’s manufacturer has at times claimed their drug to be better than its competitors, but research proved Synthroid to be merely bioequivalent – or equal, in terms of what function they perform in the body – to their competition, rather than better. This claim of superiority, therefore, actually has no merit.

Many doctors, however, still erroneously believe that Synthroid is “better,” after being subject to years of this misleading advertising message.

All the major brandname levothyroxine products, Synthroid, Unithroid, Levoxyl and Levothroid, have different fillers and binders, so people may have different allergic responses to the different brands.

So, if you react to one levothyroxine, your doctor might want to try other brands to see if you react to those brands as well.
Some people who are on levothyroxine also need the addition of the second key hormone, T3.

Among that group, some people do best with the T3 drug Cytomel. Anecdotally, however, some patients have reported allergic reactions to Cytomel. The option, compounded or time-released compounded T3, has been used successfully by other patients, but there have been concerns about these products, due to inconsistent production. Other doctors and patients prefer a product known as Thyrolar, a synthetic combination of T4 and T3.

Some patients do best on natural desiccated thyroid drugs, such as Armour thyroid, or, in some cases, people find the hypoallergenic formula of natural drug, Nature-throid, works best for them. (Pork allergies, however, may make these products problematic for some patients.

There are some patients and practitioners who are also concerned about these products due to fears of prion-related diseases such as Mad Cow Disease, despite manufacturer assurances that these products are safe.)

So is Synthroid, or any thyroid drug, better than the others? I think Dr. Richard Shames, a Boca Raton, Florida holistic practitioner and co-author of Thyroid Power and Fat, Fuzzy and Frazzled? – who has treated thyroid conditions for a quarter century – has the best advice for patients.

"In 25 years of practice, I have found that it doesn’t necessarily matter which kind of thyroid hormone you start with so much, as which kind you end up with after trying several different types to see which one works best for you.

Initially, I typically recommend whatever type they have either heard about, have a “gut-feeling” about, know family members who have a good response to a particular kind of medicine, or have a philosophical inclination for one kind or another. Sometimes it it the combination of two or three of the above medicines that proves to be the magic solution for a particular person.

If the initial item tried does not give 85-95% improvement, I then encourage the person to either add something to their first choice product or discontinue it and start something totally new. It is my firm belief that the state of the art in finding the optimal medicine is still trial and error."

The answer is, the best drug is the drug which safely makes you feel your best. And there’s no predetermined formula to tell which drug will be the best for you, until you try them, find optimal doses, and see how you do over time.

something i should mention. i’ve recently came across some info that estrogen (more specifically estradiol) can inhibit thyroid hormones. i have issues w/ low test and high normal estradiol levels.

i’m thinking that rather than try to get my doc to prescribe a different thyroid med or T4/T3 combination, maybe its as simple as an aromatase inhibitor…

i’m seeing an endocrinologist in 2 weeks. armed with some real info/research, maybe i can convince him…

cool-thanks for the info guys. i knew that T-3 is the bodybuilder’s drug of choice. i just found out from the doc that i have hypothyroidism, and he put me on 25mcg/day of Synthroid(which i assume is a pretty standard starting dose).

i have used thyroid boosting products years ago for fat loss (Thryolean), and in retrospect, realize i felt a lot better when on them.

anyway, are there any supps i could take with the T-4 that would help with the conversion (guggol, 7-keto DHEA, Olive Leaf, etc) to T-3?

thanks,

Cyco

well, not much new as far as effects on the Synthroid (nothing negative, though). i’ve only been on it for about 3 weeks, but i think i will try to see the doc before my 3 month check-up to talk about cytomel instead.

also, in digging around various sources, i found that carnitine blocks thyroid’s action in cells. interesting, since i’ve been taking 1-2 grams of ALCAR for a while…i’m gonna stop taking that now, and see how it goes.