Synergy93 - Fill Us In

I actually started having “back problems” when I was 17. They were diagnosed as bulging discs, not herniations, big difference. Bulging discs you can sometimes fix with physical therapy, limiting spinal column loading exercises (such as squats), and increasing your overall core strength (movements focused on stabilization and anti-rotation…NOT spinal flexion, which most people think of when it comes to core training), and of course focusing on posterior chain work.

I just worked through the discomfort for the next few years, modifying things at certain times, but I did notice during my college playing days, that as soon as I stopped doing squats and cleans for an extended period of time, my back actually got worse. At the time, it made no sense, but now it does.

I had to stop squatting for a while after the surgery to fix the herniations. I switched to a lot more unilateral based exercises, as well as continuing to do anterior and posterior core strength and mobility work.

Once deadlifts (didn’t really start doing them until about a year and a half ago), good mornings, and BB push presses became staples in my overall programming, my back has never been better. It still gives me trouble sometimes, but comes with the territory of pounding the weights day after day. I used to get shooting pains and numbness in my legs, which has decreased dramatically.

The knee injury I had after the back issues, forced me to focus on my squatting technique even more. Now I’m able to push some decent weight, but with excellent technique.

I also do a lot of front squats these days…takes a lot of stress of the low back, and if you’re a taller lifter (or just have long legs), you should be doing these, plus a lot of single leg work.

So, if you don’t know how to front squat, learn. Add in some single leg work, and don’t neglect your posterior chain.

Reverse Hypers and glute ham raises are excellent choices to address the posterior chain WITHOUT loading the spine.

If you don’t have access to either of these. Loaded BB hip extensions on the floor can work (can also be done between two benches with a DB across your hips)

You basically lay down on the floor with a loaded BB across your hips…with your feet flat on the floor, extend and raise your hips as high as possible (pressure mostly through the heels), and squeeze the hell out of your glutes and low back at the top. You’ll balance the bar with your one hand outside each hip.

You don’t have to use a lot of weight when you first learn this movement (you don’t want to), but you’ll be able to add weight quickly as you learn the movement and gain confidence while doing it.

There are a ton of other things to consider when it comes to working with and around low back issues, but those are a couple things that have helped me. Good luck and don’t get lazy about it. Ask any long time lifter with back issues, they’re no fun later in life.

[quote]The Greek wrote:
Fucking inspiration man - I hope I can look like that in 10 years or so.

But I do have a question: I noticed that you said you had three herniated discs, and were still able to squat a ton of weight. Well, I have 2 herniated discs and I’m 18 (yeah it fucking sucks) and squatting causes me a shit ton of pain. Even front squatting, which i’ve stuck to for the past year or so kills my lower back.

So, basically, I’m just wondering how you still manage to squat heavy the way you do - any tips or advice you could give me? I would really appreciate it. [/quote]

You are an animal man, as everyone else has said the diet post was really informative. For you back surgery, did they completely remove the discs? I ruptured two discs in my back 3 years ago at a wrestling tournament. Never needed surgery, but to be honest, lifting heavy ass weight with good form was the best thing in the world for it.

What do you do for cardio?

2nd’ed

Did playing pro football set you up for life? Can you pretty much arrange your schedule around your training and meals?

This thread is great, people should read and reread that nutrition post.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your methods thus far.

Nice thread for sure I’ll be sticking around for this one. How tall are you btw synergy? Lookin damn solid at 220 there!

My daily intake is entirely dependent upon my goals at the time, but yes, generally I consume the large majority of my carbs peri-workout, and workout carbs AND overall daily carbs correlate to the workout for that day. I approach carb intake (and overall energy intake) from the perspective of giving my body what it needs based upon the energy demands I’m placing on it within a couple hour period. For example, I wouldn’t have a ton of carbs at night, just because it’s a “high carb” day. I don’t need them at night (unless I’m training at night, which I never do), so I don’t have them (only veggie carbs).

Here’s a basic outline of what a current typical week would look like…I’m not including calorie totals

Monday
Training emphasis: Push…very high number of sets, moderate to high volume (as in total sets, not reps…reps on main exercise are usually 3 reps per set, sometimes up to 5, sometimes as low as singles for a few sets) and high intensity (as defined by a lot of working sets near my 1RM)
Daily intake
350-400 grams protein
200 grams of carbs (120 of which come in the form of workout nutriton…ANACONDA Protocol 1 (3 FINiBARs)
**The other 80 grams come from one other serving of starches/grains and fruit (40-50 grams) and the rest from veggies
140 grams fat…since my overall carb intake is moderate and my protein intake is high, I increase fats to make up the rest of the calories, and provide my body with another major source of fuel, other than protein. The carbs are pretty much burned up during the training session. If you’re over 200 lbs., I’ve found that you can easily utilize 100 grams of the RIGHT carbs during a workout

Tuesday
Training emphasis: Pull…High number of sets, modertate reps, olympic lift based workout, so intensity is very high
**Big group of muscles + high volume and intensity = an increase in overall calories, mainly from carbs
Daily intake
350-400 grams protein…closer to 350 due to the higher carb intake
250 grams carbs…2 FINiBARs, 2 scoops Surge Workout Fuel, 2 ANACONDA, 1 MAG-10 (this is about 150 grams of carbs) Yes, I realize that the carb source in both FINiBARs and Surge Workout Fuel are basically the same, but it’s an easy way to boost your carb intake, and those FINiBARs are damn tasty
The other 100 would come from two other meals containing carbs from starches/grains and fruit, split up into two meals…30 grams each, the other left over carbs come from veggies
110 grams of fat
**I also attend Krav Maga at night on Tuesday’s…usually have 1 scoop of ANACONDA and 1 scoop of MAG-10 prior to this training session

Wednesday
Training Emphasis: Legs **OR TAKE THIS DAY OFF IF I FEEL I NEED IT, but usually train…Very High number of sets on main movement (either Back squats or front squats), low reps, high intensity
**Very demanding workout, but keep my carb intake the same as Tuesday, BUT HAVE A PLANNED CHEAT MEAL ON THIS DAY…It’s easily an extra 1200 calories, most of which are from carbs…huge burrito from Qdoba…extra chicken, rice, and pinto beans, and chips and guacomole
The overall intake is exactly the same as Tuesday

Thursday
Training Emphasis: OFF from weights, but go to Krav Maga class again
350 grams protein
100 grams carbs (64 of which come from 2 scoops of Surge Workout Fuel before class), veggies the rest of the day
125 grams Fat
**I use this as my control day…lower overall caloric intake, especially carbs

Friday
Training Emphasis: Push 2
Same nutrition as Monday

Saturday
Training Emphasis: Pull 2
Same nutrition as Tuesday

Sunday
Training Emphasis: Legs 2 OR OFF
Same nutrition as Wednesday, including cheat meal…breakfast at a local hippie joint, all organic foods IF I TRAIN THAT DAY
If OFF from training, same nutrition as Thursday, with only one dose of carbs (50 grams or so) at breakfast

The main point I’m trying to get across, is that you should fuel your body according to the energy demands you’re placing on it. I feel that high carb days are beneficial, but I don’t eat carbs all day long because it’s a higher carb day. I strategically time them according to my workouts. I’ve found this to work very well for continuing to add size and strength, while minimizing fat gain. I basically follow the same principles when focusing on fat loss, but my overall energy intake would be somewhat lower (not necessarily carb intake), and I create higher metabolic demands with the addition of some cardio work, as well as an increase in workout density.

I hope this post can help some of you get a handle on how to structure your daily and weekly nutritional approach. Remember, this is what works for me. Like you’ve heard a million times, everyone is a little different, so adjustments will need to be made along the way. If you’re working just as hard in the kitchen as in the weight room and keeping a food log, you’ll have a much easier time determining if what you’re doing both nutritionally and training-wise is moving your towards your goals or not.

You have defined a specific goal for yourself, right?

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Based on the day diet you posted, would it be correct to say that you support front loading carbs pre-workout, and then stick with P+F meals for the rest of the day? Is this your standard practice, or only something that pertains to certain days?

Also, more importantly, who is your favorite current and former NFLer?[/quote]

I don’t do any if I’m not focusing on fat loss. Well, I shouldn’t say I don’t do any. I do practice Krav maga 2-3 times per week and hit the heavy bag after both push workouts.

Cardio for fat loss is a whole post in itself. I’ll share some of the better strategies I’ve used to get really lean, but not now :slight_smile:

I will say this about cardio. I do the MINIMUM amount necessary to stimulate fat loss.

I typically start with 2 high intensity (Mostly bodyweight focused…explosive movements) sessions per week. Then I’ll add in some moderate treadmill immediately after a weight session when fat loss stalls.

*****I’m not one who does the “morning fasted cardio.” Maintaining your lean mass and motivation to train is hard enough when overall calories are low

I’ll do one of them later in the day, on the same day as a lifting session and the other on a separate day by itself (this one is usually pushing a prowler sled until I can’t stand up anymore…20 minutes of sled work is plenty)

[quote]chakademus wrote:
What do you do for cardio?

2nd’ed[/quote]

No, it was a partial removal…just the herniated portions that were pressing on the nerves

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
You are an animal man, as everyone else has said the diet post was really informative. For you back surgery, did they completely remove the discs? I ruptured two discs in my back 3 years ago at a wrestling tournament. Never needed surgery, but to be honest, lifting heavy ass weight with good form was the best thing in the world for it.[/quote]

Non training and diet related, but actually it factors in very much so regarding training and diet, but; What do you do for a living? This is something I’ve been curious about regarding a lot of the big guys, because as a student, career choices have been on my mind a lot lately. Being able to situate your lifting around the way you make a living is awesome in itself, but having a stage quality physique while holding down a full time job like many of these up and coming bodybuilders do is so impressive to me and something I will be doing. Lifting is a part of me and I will never stop, unless I am injured and God willing I’ll stay relatively healthy. So again, if you don’t mind sharing what kind of work are you involved in?

6’ 1"

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Nice thread for sure I’ll be sticking around for this one. How tall are you btw synergy? Lookin damn solid at 220 there![/quote]

Not enough :slight_smile: Try to get 7 per night, but I’ve never been a good sleeper.

I’m using Z12, glycine, phospatidyl serine, and Elite pro mineral lately…takes the edge off and seems to be helping.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Man that nutrition post was full of win. I do something very similar but I am going to make a few changes based on what you wrote. I especially like that shake you make with chia seeds… going to have to start doing that for my snack between classes. Do you use cocoa nibs at all?

How much sleep do you usually get? I’m asking 'cause I’m about to get a solid 7 hours, got 6 hours yesterday. By ‘solid’, I mean I’m gonna feel like ass tomorrow.[/quote]

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Non training and diet related, but actually it factors in very much so regarding training and diet, but; What do you do for a living? This is something I’ve been curious about regarding a lot of the big guys, because as a student, career choices have been on my mind a lot lately. Being able to situate your lifting around the way you make a living is awesome in itself, but having a stage quality physique while holding down a full time job like many of these up and coming bodybuilders do is so impressive to me and something I will be doing. Lifting is a part of me and I will never stop, unless I am injured and God willing I’ll stay relatively healthy. So again, if you don’t mind sharing what kind of work are you involved in?[/quote]

You definitely phrased this question much better than me. lol

Synergy did you implement that kind of diet routine after being an athlete? Or did you always cycle carbs and what not? I only ask cause I don’t really have “off days” if I’m not doing some type of lifting (which isn’t much lifting at all anymore) everyday its conditioning for boxing which means I need quite a bit of calories cause a lot gets burned from training that conditioning to get in shape for a fight.
I often hear athletes training at higher levels are un-able to implement that kind of diet and pretty much have to eat day in and day out a lot of calories to maintain weight and recover enough for the next session.

[quote]synergy93 wrote:
I actually started having “back problems” when I was 17. They were diagnosed as bulging discs, not herniations, big difference. Bulging discs you can sometimes fix with physical therapy, limiting spinal column loading exercises (such as squats), and increasing your overall core strength (movements focused on stabilization and anti-rotation…NOT spinal flexion, which most people think of when it comes to core training), and of course focusing on posterior chain work.

I just worked through the discomfort for the next few years, modifying things at certain times, but I did notice during my college playing days, that as soon as I stopped doing squats and cleans for an extended period of time, my back actually got worse. At the time, it made no sense, but now it does.

I had to stop squatting for a while after the surgery to fix the herniations. I switched to a lot more unilateral based exercises, as well as continuing to do anterior and posterior core strength and mobility work.

Once deadlifts (didn’t really start doing them until about a year and a half ago), good mornings, and BB push presses became staples in my overall programming, my back has never been better. It still gives me trouble sometimes, but comes with the territory of pounding the weights day after day. I used to get shooting pains and numbness in my legs, which has decreased dramatically.

The knee injury I had after the back issues, forced me to focus on my squatting technique even more. Now I’m able to push some decent weight, but with excellent technique.

I also do a lot of front squats these days…takes a lot of stress of the low back, and if you’re a taller lifter (or just have long legs), you should be doing these, plus a lot of single leg work.

So, if you don’t know how to front squat, learn. Add in some single leg work, and don’t neglect your posterior chain.

Reverse Hypers and glute ham raises are excellent choices to address the posterior chain WITHOUT loading the spine.

If you don’t have access to either of these. Loaded BB hip extensions on the floor can work (can also be done between two benches with a DB across your hips)

You basically lay down on the floor with a loaded BB across your hips…with your feet flat on the floor, extend and raise your hips as high as possible (pressure mostly through the heels), and squeeze the hell out of your glutes and low back at the top. You’ll balance the bar with your one hand outside each hip.

You don’t have to use a lot of weight when you first learn this movement (you don’t want to), but you’ll be able to add weight quickly as you learn the movement and gain confidence while doing it.

There are a ton of other things to consider when it comes to working with and around low back issues, but those are a couple things that have helped me. Good luck and don’t get lazy about it. Ask any long time lifter with back issues, they’re no fun later in life.

[/quote]

Awesome man, thanks.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Non training and diet related, but actually it factors in very much so regarding training and diet, but; What do you do for a living? This is something I’ve been curious about regarding a lot of the big guys, because as a student, career choices have been on my mind a lot lately. Being able to situate your lifting around the way you make a living is awesome in itself, but having a stage quality physique while holding down a full time job like many of these up and coming bodybuilders do is so impressive to me and something I will be doing. Lifting is a part of me and I will never stop, unless I am injured and God willing I’ll stay relatively healthy. So again, if you don’t mind sharing what kind of work are you involved in?[/quote]

I’ve always wondered this same question.

Synergy thanks a lot for the inspirational words about diet and nutrition.

Synergy, thanks for taking the time to post about your training, nutrition and background. Lots of good advice in only a couple pages.

You have an inspirational physique and it’s even more motivating to hear how you’ve had to overcome some serious injuries along the way.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the information Synergy!

Really appreciated.

Would be kewl to hear what your workouts look like in terms of ramping to the working weight, how many exercises are you doing on your push days etc. Have you always been training with low reps or recently switched to it?

This thread delivers.

Some good reading in here, thanks Synergy, and others for asking good questions.