T Nation

Symptoms/Cures for Pathological Liars?

what are the symptoms for when someone is a pathological liar and not just someone who like to lie…

are their any cures?

Scott

I’m a pathalogical liar, no I’m not. I can’t make up my minds.

There is a new drug developed for obsessive compulsive behaviour which one way it manifests itself is pathological lying. It is called 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. It doesn’t cause near the side effect of 2,4,5 - trichlorophenoxyacetic acid, which has long been suspected of causing certain birth defects and cancer.

bump…

yea…stop lying. if you have the self discipline for bodybuilding you have the self discipline for anything.

Thats a strange one. A guy I hang out with lies constantly and about almost everything. He’s not even the kind of guy I would hang out with except that his wife and mine are friends, so we end up spending time in the same place often enough.

Anyhow, he lies about stupid things and even stuff that I have been there to witness, except that he twists it up to make his role outstanding, or adds things that simply didn’t happen. Beyond exageration or taking licence with actual events, his tales aren’t interesting or even believable, they’re more like a fart in an elevator.

I don’t know why he does it or what would prevent it.

What drug should I give people who’ll lie just to one up you, and does it a lot? I was thinking cyanide.

ive started twisting things to mke myself look better in social settings. but its not like i think about it or anything. it just comes out.

next week im doing a marathon on the rowing machine for charity, a girl was came up to me and was like “i hear your doing a marathon for charity, good for you” and without even thinking i answered “yea cheers but its actually a double-marathon”

WTF.

ive also told ppl im competeing in a powerlifting comp in november and thats the reason im doing lots of training. not the fact im actually cutting like mad.

i dont know why ive started doing this… afterwards i feel hatred towards myself and vow not to do it again and then i do.

its only ever in social settings when theres a few ppl about etc.

i like this site cuz i can be brutally honest on it.

Scott

You know, sometimes it’s ok to not say anything at all. Many times people feel the need to say something even when they have nothing to say. So what comes out of their mouth is basically the first thing that comes to mind, whether it’s true or not.

But remember, EVERYONE knows when they’re talking to a pathological liar. I’ll never understand how people can tell all these fabricated stories that no one believes and think they are getting away with it.

you already know the problem.
next is to stop making things up.

it will start with making things up to make yourself look better then it gets to be a problem where you then start to beleive your own lies.

just watch yourself

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
ive also told ppl im competeing in a powerlifting comp in november and thats the reason im doing lots of training. not the fact im actually cutting like mad.
Scott[/quote]

Haha thats like when i said im “bulking” when actually i was trying to lose weight.

I used to have a guy that worked for me that lied about everything…it was annoying as fuck…if you asked him if he was at a certain bar the night before (where you already knew he was) he’d say ‘no’ and then say he was at the bar down the street…if you asked him if it was 2 o’clock when it was 2 o’clock he’d say no it’s 3…and then everytime he’d correct himself 2-5 minutes later…‘oh wait…I was at that bar’…‘oh wait…it is 2 o’clock’…it was weird…he’d make up the great big lies to make himself sound important like you’re talking about too…

I started calling him on all his lies and he quit working for me…was weird…

Anyway…try this…after you make up a story to someone and you start to hate yourself for it…admit to the person that you just lied to them and then tell them the truth…you’ll start to feel really stupid and get embarrassed and that could help you break the cycle…right now it’s just your own inner voice saying you’re a jerk…tell someone else you’re a liar and the social reinforcement that you’re a jerk will be powerful medicine.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
What drug should I give people who’ll lie just to one up you, and does it a lot? I was thinking cyanide.[/quote]

a baccala to the back of the head

I agree with sen say. Try outing yourself. Do it with a laugh if you want to, to take a bit of the sting out, but do it. If someone believes one of your lies they may be impressed for about one second, but when they find out later you lied they’ll never trust anything you say again.

It might be scary the first few times, but that will pass. Hopefully the compulsion to lie will pass with it.

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
There is a new drug developed for obsessive compulsive behaviour which one way it manifests itself is pathological lying. It is called 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. It doesn’t cause near the side effect of 2,4,5 - trichlorophenoxyacetic acid, which has long been suspected of causing certain birth defects and cancer.[/quote]

Was this you lying pathologically? Google said these were pesticides, lol.