Switching Routines Due to Injury

Hi I’m Gavin. I’m 32 6ft and weigh in at 14 stones 1 lb - 197lb 89.4kg. Im not fat but I have a mid region podge. probably about 20% body fat. My diet sucks (i’m learning to cook) my sleep pattern sucks (Trying to get into a routine).

I have been lifitng on and off for like 2 year. I say on and off because I just dont have any consistancy. I’m an idiot. I have like 8 week of working out then I have a 6 month lay off due to injury or lazyness then you hold off because of the thought of going through the pain again.

Over that now. Now getting more into lifting. Been more consistant and been doing medhi’s 5x5 program as I read that its good for beginners to gain a strong foundation for which to build on. Been reading alot of t nation articles from facebook ever since discovering it. the more I’m reading the more im fixing my form and my diet.

since getting serious about february ive lost 10lb, 4.5kg.

been making some really good gains.currently lifting. 100kg on squats, 110kg deadlifts , 80kg bench press, 52.5kg military press 70kg BOR

3 Week ago I starting getting a pain in my upper hamstring lower glutes which after a read might be hamstring tendonitis. So I need to lay off doing the squats and deadlifts.

So as I am limited to only what I have in a friends spare bedroom. I’m not realy sure if what I plan to do will be good enough. I have gym phobia. i think that’s a real thing. But I can’t relax and do what I need to do in the gym.

I have a bench and a squat rack with a 7ft bar a z bar, a chin up bar, a 6ft bar, 2x dumbbells and about 160kg of weights.

I am planning on doing something like this

Monday: Back/Biceps
Back : chin ups , bent over row (suggest a third one for me ?)
Biceps: incline bench bicep curls, z bar curls and cross over hammer curls

Tuesday: Chest/Triceps
Chest: bench press, incline pec fly , incline dumbell press
triceps: Dips, skull crushers, tricep kick backs

Wednesday: Shoulders
military press, front deltoid raise, arnold press

Thursday: Back/Biceps
Back : chin ups , bent over row (suggest a third one for me ?)
Biceps: incline bench bicep curls, z bar curls and cross over hammer curls

Friday: Chest/Triceps
Chest: bench press, incline pec fly , incline dumbell press
triceps: Dips, skull crushers, tricep kick backs

Saturday: shoulders
military press, front deltoid raise, arnold press

Sunday: Off

what would be the best rep range for this? looking to gain size and strength.

Any advice massively aprretiated.

Do you still have the same level of pain? If things haven’t improved in nearly a month, you really should get it checked out by a professional.

Are those the only exercises that bother your leg? And it’s just one leg, not both, correct?

Doing zero leg work for any length of time is really something you want to avoid. Try lunges, step-ups (if there’s room), and Romanian deads with one or two legs to see if you still feel legit pain. If you do, that’s one thing. If you don’t, then you can and should still train the lower body. Based on what you said about your general motivation and inconsistent habits, make sure you don’t use this “injury” as an excuse to avoid training legs altogether.

I don’t think that’s a real thing.

In both legs yes.
To be honest I don’t get the pain when training. Only when my leg twists in an awkward positon or i lie down in kind of a adductor stretch with my legs. just when i read up about wat the might be it came up as that and said to rest and do stretches. should i just carry on if its not the exercise that is causing the pain. I was thinking that might be the underlying reason why it was sore

In my inconsistant years i have never neglected legs.

What i mean by this is I suffer from over thinking and what other people think about me. maybe I need to man up and get in there. Easier said than done.

So Should I carry on with the 5x5 ?
inbetween I was also doing extra sesions.

inbetween A
chin ups , bench incline bicep curl, z bar curls

inbetween b
close grip bench press, skull crushers, tricep kickbacks.
thinking of changing close grip bench press to dips.

It all comes down to being self conscious so here is what you do.

1.Put in your headphones
2. Focus on your lifts and no one else
3. Lift the weight
4. Get stronger
5. Try not to think about it. It’s in your head some what “douche bag Jim might think something about what your doing but douche bag Jim is just that a douche bag”.

1. Try and get to know someone stronger and ask them for tips maybe you’ll turn them into a new lifting buddy
1 Like