T Nation

Switching Out the Press for the Viking Press

Reason:
Due to me buying my first house with a garage, I’d like to start training from the garage. It’s a dream come true, even if it has some limitations. The bulk of my assistance work is WALRUS/bodyweight, the rest can be done with adjustable dumbell(s), landmine, dip bars, bands and the back extension.

However, the ceiling is pretty low at 7,7 feet (235 CM). I can fit in a rack that’s 7 feet (215 CM) and do chins without a problem. The press is an issue due to the fact that I’m 6’4 (194 CM). I can’t extend my arms with a loaded barbell.

The viking press:
I can however, extend my arms with an empty barbell. Which makes the viking press (with a landmine) a viable option. How do you guys feel about the viking press, is it a good substitute?

I would do seated OHP, or even better - the version where you sit on the ground and legs in front of you(very hard to stabilize and it engages core a lot).
Also, if you have a garage like in american movies, you also probably have a backyard or some space outside - you can always do OHP outside.
But do whatever is more comfortable for you, as exercises doesnt matter as much. Just progress on whatever exercise you can do :slight_smile:

I use #25 plates, but if you are stout you maý use a lot more plates than me. (I’m 6’4")

Viking press is fine. It lacks some of core stability work of a press. But that’s a minor point.
It’s much better than incline bench.