Switching Goals - 315 Bench Attained Targeting 455 Squat

Hello CT,

About 4 or 5 months ago I asked you some advice on beating my bench plateau which was stuck at 300 for about 2 years. After implementing some of that programming advice and modifying slightly to my needs I must say that you played a large part in me finally passing this blockade and I’ve now bench 315 on 4 or 5 separate occasions.

I’d like to switch gears now and focus on bring up my squat which is currently 425 (the most I’ve ever done is 440), because I feel like my squat and bench are too close now and I struggle to improve my deadlift since every time I go over 500 I seem to hurt my sacrum. I’d like to try to get 455 (you know since it’s 4 plates and a 25 on each side and its all about sex appeal—err I mean visual appeal ;))

I was wondering if you could perhaps comment on advice regarding frequency, loading, etc., or maybe even suggest something that has worked for you in the past.

I realize you are very busy and this is free advice so I understand if you don’t have the time but if you do I promise it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

TrainerJ

Edit: If helpful to note I am about 198-202lbs depending on the day at 6’0" height. I have relatively long legs with a shorter torso. With my long arms some might describe this as a deadlift physique, which was true until my disc herniation 2 years ago which has caused a hard plateau in the early to mid 500 range for about 4 years. This injury doesn’t however present any pain whatsoever in squats.

What have you been doing for your squat?