Switching from TRT to Clomid Monotherapy?

I’ve been on TRT 100mg a week for about 18 months now. Wife and I have had a change of heart and decided kids were on both our brains now.

Went to the doc he said to quit the Test for 2 weeks, then get bloods done and a semen analysis.

He said he would probably start me on clomid at that time.

Looking back through old labs today, I dont think i really needed trt to begin with. I was partying and drinking like a fish, eating shitty or not at all etc etc. Not living a life style conducive to good Test levels.

Do you guys think that after 18 months on TRT that a restart may still work for me?

Were you taking hcg along with your test?

Not sure about how your T levels will come back…
But you have a really good chance of getting her PREGO !

No hcg. Just 100mg test a week.

I’m hoping I can recover and go natty again. Do I even have a slim chance of this happening?

How old are you ?

Depends…how much atrophy did your boys encounter? You may bounce back. I’d shoot for hcg mono over chlomid personally.

Thanks guys,

Any insight into why HCG over Clomid Cat?

Less side affects with HCG vs Clomid…

I think clomid will work though… even at lower dosage… say 25 MG EOD

Less sides as mentioned. Also, I have a better sense of “well being” with hcg added in to my protocol. I’ve never had any issues when I took chlomid in the past (PCT), but why chance it if both are available options? If you want kids, the hcg will keep your boys producing normally (if not at above normal levels, at least in my case). No reason to drop the T when using hcg.

Thanks for the insight.

I’ll give this doc a chance and I will go from there i guess.

I’m curious to find out what works for you. I’m 28 and was on 100mg a week (no hcg). I’ve switched to clomid but I feel awful. I have a test next week to see if it helped with sperm production. I can tell that clomid is probably working so far but I will find out for sure next week. The only problem is that I feel pretty awful and I can’t think at all (mental fog). I’ve seen ksman mention that you can run test+hcg or even test +clomid(or tamoxifen) to help with sperm production while also being on T. I’m going to discuss that with my doc because I don’t know how much longer I can stay on clomid.

For normal PCT how long does clomid take to restart the HTPA function? I’m only approaching 30 days clomid use.

[quote]spyderman4g63 wrote:
I’m curious to find out what works for you. I’m 28 and was on 100mg a week (no hcg). I’ve switched to clomid but I feel awful. I have a test next week to see if it helped with sperm production. I can tell that clomid is probably working so far but I will find out for sure next week. The only problem is that I feel pretty awful and I can’t think at all (mental fog). I’ve seen ksman mention that you can run test+hcg or even test +clomid(or tamoxifen) to help with sperm production while also being on T. I’m going to discuss that with my doc because I don’t know how much longer I can stay on clomid.

For normal PCT how long does clomid take to restart the HTPA function? I’m only approaching 30 days clomid use. [/quote]

What is your clomid dosage ?
I have been taking 25MG EOD for the last 5 months and its been rough…
Just finished tapering off…
You may have gained enough function now… But I suppose the issue would be to get her pregnant ASAP :slight_smile: good luck

Most PCT (for guys that have been cycling) generally runs about 30 days. What makes you think that it’s working, the volume of your ejaculate?

I had the opposite experience between hCG and Clomid. hCG made me feel like crap the next day after taking it - every single time. Low energy, moody, miserable. For ref, my E2 was 20-30 when tested during that period. I finally gave up on hCG due to the side-effects, and yes the boys did suffer. Mentioned it to doc, and he gave me Clomid. So far (just a couple of weeks at this point), I’ve had little to no side-effects with the Clomid, and the boys are returning.

hcg can lead to testes-specific E2 or something…I’m not sure of the exact name or mechanism, but KSMAN has mentioned it several times. I don’t think AIs work on this E2, so that could explain your issues fiesty.

If i recall correctly Ksman uses the term Intra-testicular e2. Which is not phased by AI’s.

Clomid can increase regular e2 also though which can be treated with an AI.

I’m no doctor, but the intertesticular E2 thing never made much sense to me…if you’re taking the proper HCG dose. The key with any of this is to take only as much as you need to get the desired outcome. If you’re taking just enough HCG to stimulate adequate T production, I don’t see how intertesticular aromatization would be any worst than adequate LH levels. Unless HCG is something other than an LH mimick, which I don’t believe it is. If you take 750IU a week (divided doses) and get a T reading of 500, then you bump it to 2000IU a week and get a T reading of 550 and sky high E2, don’t blame the HCG. It’s your dose.

I’ve done both SERMS (clomid, Nolva, and Torem) and HCG monotherapy before and after full TRT. For me personally, HCG got me to healthy Free T levels without much drama on the E2 front. No worse that on TRT. Clomid on the other hand was a real bugger. I could get LH above the normal range, but free T was much lower, even at higher total T levels. E2 was also much harder to manage.

HCG was just a brigde to the SERM, so I didn’t spend a lot of time tweaking that. Since the SERM wasn’t working well for me, I’m going back to HCG to give it a proper run. It makes sense to me to start with a SERM and really give it a chance, making sure E2 stays in check. If that doesn’t work, try HCG. With both working to use the lowest dose that provides good levels. If neither works well, full TRT.

Well said Dickey,

I completely agree, if your intra testicular levels are to high, i would agree that your dose is to high as well.

Im certainly not an expert but in my head a serm seems to be a better option than hcg IF I can make it work for me.

MY reasoning is, SERMS actually make your body produce LH and FSH on its own. HCG mimics LH and does nothing for FSH.

I will keep this thread updated as i go along. I’ll be going in next week to give base line bloods since being off TRT cold turkey for 2 weeks. To be honest, im not feeling to bad right now. Lacking energy slightly but nothing major.

My experience with hCG was during full TRT (100mg/week plus AI). I was only using hCG to help prevent atrophy of the boys, not as monotherapy. I used only 250IU 2x per week which is conservative by any measure. But it just made me feel like crap next day after each dose. Yes, it did feel similar to but not exactly like high E2, though my E2 was tested and well regulated at the time. Now on Clomid for same purpose (not monotherapy), and am getting the idea that E2 level could be high.