Switching from Stronglifts to 4 Day Split

Hey All,

I’ve been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for about 5 months now and I’ve seen good results. I’ve put on about 45 pounds (155 to 200) and I’ve made pretty good progress on my lifts.

However, I’m getting a bit bored of the routine and I’m looking to switch things up. My main goal is to add size and muscle mass, and I’ve heard one of the best routines for this is a 4 day split - something like legs/chest/back/arms on the schedule ABxCDxx.

What do you think about this? Also, do you recommend any routines?

Many thanks in advance, I would be happy to supply more info.

[quote]linkaad wrote:
My main goal is to add size and muscle mass.[/quote]

How are you distinguishing between “size” and “muscle mass”? Do you mean your goal is to get as fat and muscular as possible? If you put on 45lbs with your current program, I would think that it is working really well for your goals.

Yeah I should have clarified that. I want to be more muscular and more defined. I want to look “big”.

[quote]linkaad wrote:
Yeah I should have clarified that. I want to be more muscular and more defined. I want to look “big”.[/quote]

This takes time and consistent attention to nutrition. There’s a whole host of different programs that will do that for you, it’s more about picking one that you can consistently perform with enthusiasm than which is “best”

[quote]linkaad wrote:
've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for about 5 months now and I’ve seen good results. I’ve put on about 45 pounds (155 to 200) and I’ve made pretty good progress on my lifts.[/quote]
Very solid progress. Nice work.

[quote]I’ve heard one of the best routines for this is a 4 day split - something like legs/chest/back/arms on the schedule ABxCDxx.

What do you think about this? Also, do you recommend any routines?[/quote]
There’s no “best” split, but that’s one solid option for sure.

As far as specific routines, this is a solid 4-day plan laid out differently (chest/bis-back/abs-shoulders/tris/abs-legs):

Or if you’re feeling extra-froggy, you could use these principles to put together your own plan:

Odds are you’d be better off with a fully pre-written plan for at least the next few months though, until you get the hang of a bodypart split. It’s drastically different from what you’ve been doing.