Switching from Splits to TBT

I’ve been doing splits for several years now, rotating reps, exercises, sets, rest periods, the good ol’ stuff. I’ve probably been staying on splits for too long, but I fell in love with them after gaining huge on my lifts for a consistent 10 months. But as I’ve been on splits for so long, I know NOTHING about TBT, and would like some help here.

First, some general tips about TBT. Anything and everything falls into this. Rest, sets, reps, exercises, sessions per week…everything.

Second, if you had to pick one T-Nation article that has the “best” workout plan for TBT, what would you pick?

TBT is defined as having at least an upper body push and pull, along with a squat or deadlift variation in a workout.

Rest, sets, reps, exercises and number of seesion is all dependant on how you set things up.

The author here most well known to advocate TBT is Chad Waterbury. Read his articles. I suggest starting off with:

-TBT
-See Chad Train
-HFT

Also, you can read up on Joel Marions Stripped down hypertrophy.

However, did you stagnate on splits? If so, just rearrange things a bit differently. I wouldn’t totally switch things up if you’ve made great gains thus far.

Why do you want to do TBT? Just because?

I think we’ve beaten to death in here that TBT is not as good as a split for building a bodybuilders physique.

[quote]Xander89 wrote:
I’ve probably been staying on splits for too long,
[/quote]

What does this mean? Most of the people who actually look like bodybuilders have always done split routines. They can’t do them “too long”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Xander89 wrote:

What does this mean? Most of the people who actually look like bodybuilders have always done split routines. They can’t do them “too long”.[/quote]

Professor X,

I’m just curious–do you think there is any situation where TBT is superior to split training?

(If I hacked this thread, I apologize)

Since this is the bodybuilder forum, I will assume your goal is physique development and not the performance of any one lift or a few lifts. If that’s the case, most of the time a bodypart-type split is your best bet. Just be patient…after your initial gains, progress slows down no matter what system you’re using.

If you want to bring up a particular lift, though, training it more often can be a good idea. If it’s your squat, for instance, training it 3 or 4 times a week might turn your training into a ‘TBT’ type of thing…

If you feel like making the switch for a bit, why not read one of CW’s pieces and try out a routine. It isn’t going to do you any harm.

[quote]Stone101 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Xander89 wrote:

What does this mean? Most of the people who actually look like bodybuilders have always done split routines. They can’t do them “too long”.

Professor X,

I’m just curious–do you think there is any situation where TBT is superior to split training?

(If I hacked this thread, I apologize)

[/quote]

No. Maybe if you are simply unable to get in the gym very often, but even then calling it TBT makes no sense. I have SERIOUS doubts as to someone being able to do enough work for a specific muscle group when they are doing several large muscle groups all in the same training session.

My issue has always been with the fact that most of us in this for a long time understand that it takes even more effort and attention to detail the longer you train and the bigger/stronger you get.

Thousands of bodybuilders using a split routine aren’t doing it just to be “in”.

I am also not writing this to start yet another debate on the issue, but damn LOOK at most of the people who think TBT is so great (not the rare exception to the rule) and make your decision from there. People like onemorerep who use TBT now have already built a solid foundation. They don’t look like that because of TBT use from the start.

I just came off a couple of rounds of TBT and I have to say I made some gains in size and strength. I think it was mainly just exposing my body to such a new kind of stimulus as I’ve never done it before. My strength levels are at an all time high. Here’s the article and routine I tried:

the newest article on the site is about trying new things. that’s kind of what sparked it for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t done TBT since the dark ages, before I knew how to lift and eat right. wanna give it a shot. I’m already in the “top 3 strongest guys I know” club, so it couldn’t hurt too much to try it out.

[quote]Stone101 wrote:

[/quote]

For athletes who can’t lift 5 days a week. That’s about it.

For bodybuilding, I have to agree that splits are better, even though I do switch between the two types quite often.

why do you want to go backwards?

To the OP it could be very interesting if you kept a log and take before stats such as measurements and PR’s and then try TBT for a while and see what kind of results you get from TBT. Just throwing the idea around…

i do plan to switch back and forth between splits and tbt. when i feel one is getting stale and progress stops, it’s time to switch.

Wouldn’t it make sense to use TBT while leaning out, as you cannot really expect to put on much muscle in a calorie deficit, just maintain what you have achieved so far? Maybe even increase strength.

Just curious this is a bit off topic, but would DC training be considered TBT? i am sorry in advance if this is a really bad question

[quote]jck524 wrote:
Just curious this is a bit off topic, but would DC training be considered TBT? i am sorry in advance if this is a really bad question[/quote]

No, its not. ANY routine that doesnt have you working your entire body in a single session is NOT considered TBT, but rather a split…because your “splitting” things up.

Get it?

[quote]jck524 wrote:
Just curious this is a bit off topic, but would DC training be considered TBT? i am sorry in advance if this is a really bad question[/quote]

Absolutely not.

I’m considering doing a few months of TBT in about a month or so because it will then be 4-5 months of non-stop heavy lifting that I will have done.

My joints could seriously use the break and I would think that if I did 3 TBT sessions per week (1 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy) with varying rep ranges that I could benefit from it…both from a new stimulus perspective and also the break from constant heavy lifting

I would also throw an extra day in for some ab work which I never ever do and some mobility stuff/injury prevention.

I don’t think I would stick with it for more than a couple months and then move in to something like a 4 day 10x3 split

[quote]1morerep wrote:
i do plan to switch back and forth between splits and tbt. when i feel one is getting stale and progress stops, it’s time to switch. [/quote]

I have found the same to be true. Going from a higher volume split to lower volume higher intensity TBT gave me a jump in size and strength. After about 3 months it stopped and I went back to splits. Changing back and forth seems to be the best approach.