T Nation

Switching from Reverse Pyramid to Normal Pyramid?

I’ve been training using a Reverse Pyramid (RPT) method for a while now, and have been making decent gains. For anybody unaware, RPT is basically the reverse of a typical pyramid method (You’d never have guessed right?), meaning you start with your heaviest weight for low reps, and then as the sets go on you reduce the weight but increase the reps. Anyway, as the saying usually goes when it comes to lifting, “everything works but nothing works forever”, therefore I’ve been trying to come up with a different, albeit fairly similar training method to switch to when I’m either burned out on RPT, or progress grinds to a halt.

I’ve had a lot of joy from RPT and really like the fact that it incorporates different rep ranges throughout the workout on each exercise, so I was looking for something similar but different enough to provide a different stimulus to my muscles. I then thought about the typical pyramid method where you start off with a light weight and higher reps, but increase the weight and reduce the reps in consecutive sets, which is the complete opposite of the RPT that I’ve been training recently.

This is where the reason for the thread comes in though… Would switching from Reverse Pyramid to Normal Pyramid training be enough of a difference to even warrant switching in the first place? I only ask as the two training methods ARE different, although I’d still be utilising the same rep ranges in both routines, albeit back to front of course. For example, 6>8>10>12 in Reverse Pyramid and 12>10>8>6 in Normal Pyramid.

Any help I can get with this would be appreciated, thank you.

I’m currently training using a Reverse Pyramid method.

I tend to train with 4 sets per exercise and reduce the weight by 10-15% for each subsequent set, whilst adding reps. For example: Set 1) 100x6 , Set 2) 90x8 , Set 3) 80x10 , Set 4) 70x12.

Basically, how should I progress with this? Should I focus on making sure I get 6/8/10/12 in all 4 sets and only then increasing weight by a small increment the next week?

Or would you suggest progressing each set independently of each other? For example, if I got something like 5/7/10/12 then the last 2 sets would be increased in weight as I reached the required rep range, although the first 2 sets would stay as they are due to only getting 5 and 7 reps.

Any help I can get with this would be massively appreciated, as I have asked the same question elsewhere and nobody seems to know the answer, most likely due to RPT being quite a rare type of training method.

Not sure if anybody was actually planning on responding, but I just did some research and think I’ve found my answer now, so if necessary this thread can be closed. For those who were curious, the answer I read was as follows, and it makes sense when I think about it:

You often hear the advice that if you hit a prescribed rep range in sets 2, 3, and 4, they should tailor upwards accordingly.

This makes zero sense.

Think about it: Your back off sets are calculated by taking a percentage of your max effort set. Once you move that weight upwards, but your max effort set stays the same, the percentages are no longer valid.

I’ve used this progression scheme before. And after a few months, my back off sets were at times 5 pounds less than my max effort set.

Too taxing, not enough recovery.