T Nation

Switching from BB to DB in an Exercise?

Usually when I do lunges use a barbell at home instead of using dumbbells. However, sometimes when I go to the gym with someone from my family or a friend of mine and the gym that I go to is small and does have any barbells and weight plates available.

So whenever I do lunges at the gym I use dumbbells that they have there instead. So my question is what happens to my strength/mass gains when I occasionally switch from barbells to dumbbells in a given exercise such as lunges? I mean how much does it affect the progressive overloading process?

Hardly at all. your target area - the legs in this case - get the same stimulus, generally speaking. As long as you stick to a comparable weight, you will be fine.

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
So my question is what happens to my strength/mass gains when I occasionally switch from barbells to dumbbells in a given exercise such as lunges? I mean how much does it affect the progressive overloading process? [/quote]
Like most questions you seem to ask, this is a fairly minor issue.

Using a load that brings fatigue around 8-10 reps (or whatever rep range you’re using) will yield nearly identical results whether the load is provided by dumbbells, a barbell, a weighted vest, a sack of wet laundry, or an arm full of sedated cats.

If it’s something you change once in a while, it’s almost a non-issue. If you’re purposely changing the source of resistance every few weeks (for example, 4 weeks lunging only with dumbbells, 4 weeks only using a barbell, 4 weeks with a weighted vest), then it becomes a new stimulus each time and could result in prolonged progress.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
whether the load is provided by dumbbells, a barbell, a weighted vest, a sack of wet laundry, or an arm full of sedated cats.
[/quote]

Chris, what if you didn’t sedate the cats? Would the dynamic movement of the cats stimulate additional hypertrophy? Would this additional stimulation create additional recovery demands on the CNS? Are we talking cats or kittens here? I’m thinking it makes a difference.

[quote]Serge A. Storms wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
whether the load is provided by dumbbells, a barbell, a weighted vest, a sack of wet laundry, or an arm full of sedated cats.[/quote]
Chris, what if you didn’t sedate the cats? Would the dynamic movement of the cats stimulate additional hypertrophy? Would this additional stimulation create additional recovery demands on the CNS? Are we talking cats or kittens here? I’m thinking it makes a difference.[/quote]
Strongman and writer Brooke Kubik once said lifting a half-filled keg was like wrestling a live tiger. With that in mind, I’d say lunging with an arm full of wriggling kittens is certainly quite a challenge, if only less intimidating.

I’d think of it like lunging with a dozen tiny, adorable, snuggly, furry slosh pipes. Tough work, but worth it for building strength and size, even if it’s not really fair to the cats.

Could also just wait two weeks for the gym crowd to thin out.