Switching Exercises is Cool

So I switched to box front squats from Leg Presses as my main quad workout. My progression is like this so far:

Week 1: 5 x 135, 5 x 135, 5 x 135, 5 x 135
Week 2: 5 x 135, 5 x 155, 5 x 155
Week 3: 5 x 135, 5 x 155, 5 x 165
Week 4: 5 x 135, 5 x 165, 4 x 185
Week 5: 5 x 135, 5 x 185, 4 x 205
This week: 5 x 135, 5 x 185, 5 x 205, 3 x 225

Damn it feels good to move up in weight this much each week! I know it is mainly neural adaptations, and getting myself more familiar with proper form; that aside, it still feels pretty good. One thing that really helped me in week 5 was when I realized that if I fire my lats, I am able to lift a lot more.

Fun stuff!

I concur. S bin switchin Tony Horton ah the P90 advanced serie yeh :slight_smile: Muscle confusion eh training produces most excellent results - It makes no sense to do eh same routine ah week, aye - body adapts to shit most rapidly, and result forestalls due to poor preparation, aye! Aye well done, most certainly.

[quote]criminaldude wrote:
I concur. S bin switchin Tony Horton ah the P90 advanced serie yeh :slight_smile: Muscle confusion eh training produces most excellent results - It makes no sense to do eh same routine ah week, aye - body adapts to shit most rapidly, and result forestalls due to poor preparation, aye! Aye well done, most certainly.[/quote]

finally, a 2009 poster with some damn sense.

[quote]criminaldude wrote:
I concur. S bin switchin Tony Horton ah the P90 advanced serie yeh :slight_smile: Muscle confusion eh training produces most excellent results - It makes no sense to do eh same routine ah week, aye - body adapts to shit most rapidly, and result forestalls due to poor preparation, aye! Aye well done, most certainly.[/quote]

this post is pure bodybuilding and strength training gold…

not

Good work!

A thing to watch out for though is to not go so far with this as some trainers recommend in their writings. (If your rates are in the thousands of dollars per hour, Daddy isn’t going to be so pleased if Sonny Boy isn’t making amazing increases every week, so a great technique for keeping Daddy happy is to switch exercises constantly so that the learning effect you mention can make it appear that amazing improvement is constantly being made.)

Pick some specific important exercises, let’s call them benchmark exercises, and never go too long without them.

For example, let’s say parallel box squats, you have decided, should be a benchmark exercise. (You might pick parallel regular squats, you might pick ATG squats, but pick something.)

Then you will have a reference for where your strength really is as you go, and not be fooled by apparently getting 10-20 lb a week stronger each and every week of the year, but somehow not being anything like 520-1040 lb stronger at the end of the year.

There are lots of very experienced lifters who, for reasons of constantly changing exercise or other reasons, swear that they “gain all the time” yet are, at best, lifting 50 lb more or perhaps not even that on major lifts than they were 5 years ago. But yes, they gain all the time… or so it appears to them anyway.

Picking some benchmarks for yourself will save you from their error.

For example, powerlifters don’t fall into this error. No matter that they might see great weekly improvements on newly trying DB Flyes Off a Bosu Ball, as well as a new triceps exercise, and then amazingly speedy improvements with some other new-to-them exercises, if their bench press only went up 5 lb in 3 months from all these weeks of amazing improvements, they know that the real strength increase was 5 lb.

[quote]markdp wrote:
So I switched to box front squats from Leg Presses as my main quad workout. My progression is like this so far:

Damn it feels good to move up in weight this much each week! I know it is mainly neural adaptations, and getting myself more familiar with proper form; that aside, it still feels pretty good. One thing that really helped me in week 5 was when I realized that if I fire my lats, I am able to lift a lot more.

Fun stuff![/quote]

I am still trying to figure out why you posted this, I smell a troll.

[quote]markdp wrote:

Fun stuff![/quote]

Keep in mind, box squats and “normal” squats are different from leg presses in the mechanics of the exercises. Pretty sure the angle at which you do leg presses makes it significantly easier than free squating. This is why is see lots of kids putting 5 plates on each side of the leg press machine, however they can’t even free squat 225 to a legal depth.

Good job on progress, not trying to take anything from ya…just don’t go around bragging what you can do on a leg press :slight_smile:

Nice job on switchingt to squats. Not to be a dick or anything, but unless you have some sort of limiting injury, you need to stay away from the leg press for a few years.

If you were only able to squat 135lbs, all the work on the leg press was pretty much useless. Stick with squats and get strong on them, if you are going to use the leg press at all, use it for a “pump” at the end of your workout, AFTER you’ve already squatted.

Nice work!

***I hope you are doing some sort of deadlift as well

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Good work!

A thing to watch out for though is to not go so far with this as some trainers recommend in their writings. (If your rates are in the thousands of dollars per hour, Daddy isn’t going to be so pleased if Sonny Boy isn’t making amazing increases every week, so a great technique for keeping Daddy happy is to switch exercises constantly so that the learning effect you mention can make it appear that amazing improvement is constantly being made.)

Pick some specific important exercises, let’s call them benchmark exercises, and never go too long without them.

For example, let’s say parallel box squats, you have decided, should be a benchmark exercise. (You might pick parallel regular squats, you might pick ATG squats, but pick something.)

Then you will have a reference for where your strength really is as you go, and not be fooled by apparently getting 10-20 lb a week stronger each and every week of the year, but somehow not being anything like 520-1040 lb stronger at the end of the year.

There are lots of very experienced lifters who, for reasons of constantly changing exercise or other reasons, swear that they “gain all the time” yet are, at best, lifting 50 lb more or perhaps not even that on major lifts than they were 5 years ago. But yes, they gain all the time… or so it appears to them anyway.

Picking some benchmarks for yourself will save you from their error.

For example, powerlifters don’t fall into this error. No matter that they might see great weekly improvements on newly trying DB Flyes Off a Bosu Ball, as well as a new triceps exercise, and then amazingly speedy improvements with some other new-to-them exercises, if their bench press only went up 5 lb in 3 months from all these weeks of amazing improvements, they know that the real strength increase was 5 lb.[/quote]

Bill: All good points. Honestly, I haven’t done back squats in years, as I got to around 245 for 6 reps and progress just seemed to halt. I started DL a lot since then, and I think because of increased strength in my lower back, my squat has taken off.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
markdp wrote:

Fun stuff!

I am still trying to figure out why you posted this, I smell a troll.[/quote]

lol, okay.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
markdp wrote:

Fun stuff!

Keep in mind, box squats and “normal” squats are different from leg presses in the mechanics of the exercises. Pretty sure the angle at which you do leg presses makes it significantly easier than free squating. This is why is see lots of kids putting 5 plates on each side of the leg press machine, however they can’t even free squat 225 to a legal depth.

Good job on progress, not trying to take anything from ya…just don’t go around bragging what you can do on a leg press :)[/quote]

Dude… I can do 8 plates on each side! What!

[quote]dankid wrote:
Nice job on switchingt to squats. Not to be a dick or anything, but unless you have some sort of limiting injury, you need to stay away from the leg press for a few years.

If you were only able to squat 135lbs, all the work on the leg press was pretty much useless. Stick with squats and get strong on them, if you are going to use the leg press at all, use it for a “pump” at the end of your workout, AFTER you’ve already squatted.

Nice work!

***I hope you are doing some sort of deadlift as well[/quote]

I wasn’t really seeing the leg growth from back squats that I was looking for, hence the switch to the leg press. Honestly, it has put a couple of inches on my thighs, but I stalled at about the same weight.

I haven’t DL’d in 4 weeks, as my progress was slowing to a halt, but I continue to do SLDLs from a deficit; usually after front squats.