Switching Exercises During a Cut

Normally when gaining weight I stick with an exercise for awhile until it stalls for a multiple sessions, and even then I generally won’t make huge changes. However, for a cut at what point do some of the experienced guys here decide to switch, if at all? So far I haven’t lost any strength which I’m happy about except for calves which sucks because not only are the reps going down slowly but the weight is as well since I’m losing weight. I go through the set and I could keep doing partials and whatnot but to be honest with myself I can clearly see the range of motion is getting smaller and I’m losing strength.

Also, although my main goal is really just to make sure I don’t lose any strength during this time, my incline DB bench has gotten the same reps for about 6 weeks now and today lost a rep (from 3 to 2 on the heavy set) because of a crappy start getting the DB’s up.

So basically I know I can’t really expect the type of strength gains during a cut as I would when gaining but is there a point where you generally decide to switch exercises out (for instance in the above example maybe to incline BB bench) or would a new exercise not be the best idea during a cut? I realize this is a fairly basic question, part of it is just because I’m interested in how some of you go about it, not because I think it’s a crucial decision.

A lot of the more experienced will likely say that they DO NOT switch up their training style during a cut, but that is much different from switching out an exercise or two.

I really don’t think there is anything wrong with switching out an exercise or two during a cut.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
A lot of the more experienced will likely say that they DO NOT switch up their training style during a cut, but that is much different from switching out an exercise or two.

I really don’t think there is anything wrong with switching out an exercise or two during a cut.[/quote]

Yea I mean I definitely wouldn’t change how I train in general, but I guess when cutting and everything is pretty much stalling it comes to question when exercises should change.

I mean if I changed all exercises that have pretty much slowed down/stagnated I’d be changing 75% of my current lifts. Like I said I’m sure switching to incline BB wouldn’t be a problem, just interested in what others do as well.

Calves on the other hand…not too many alternatives at the moment so I kind of feel screwed on that one.