T Nation

Switch to Oil & Gas

Hello there,

I’ve worked in the construction industry for an MEP contractor as an engineer for around 2 years, however I’d like to shift my focus to the Oil & gas industry. What is the best way to go from construction to Oil & Gas?

The last project I worked on was actually a plastic production plant, which more or less is an oil refinery, so having this experience is a step in the right direction. The problem is that all my job offers are from other MEP contractors doing standard construction projects. I don’t want to go down this road again, the pay is crap, the hours are criminal & the work is dull. What is the best route to take?

Obviously I’d love to go straight to one of the super majors like Chevron or Exxon but I think a more realistic approach would be to try & get in with a drilling contractor or consultant, but even this is difficult.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

What is your degree in? The easiest way to get into the industry is through becoming a field engineer for a service company (Halliburton, Schmlumbger, Baker Hughes, etc). I’m going on my second week with Halliburton, the hours will be long, but the pay and benefits are awesome.

Edit. Wrong thread.

[quote]BigDawg6593 wrote:
What is your degree in? The easiest way to get into the industry is through becoming a field engineer for a service company (Halliburton, Schmlumbger, Baker Hughes, etc). I’m going on my second week with Halliburton, the hours will be long, but the pay and benefits are awesome. [/quote]

That’s a good idea, thanks. My degree is in Mechanical Engineering.

I think of all of the new hires in my group, more then half where mechanical or aeronautical engineers. Seems like a good job so far and from what friends have said. if you want, you can drop me a message or email with any questions, i’ll try my best to answer