Switch From BB to Strength/Mass

I was hoping that some of you could give me some feedback on my current program. I’m trying to make the switch from the bodybuilding type programs to more strength/mass programs.

My 5th and 6th cervical vertebrea are fused together (old football injury)and high rep training really irritates my neck and trap muscles. I’ve found, however, that I can do many sets (10+) with low reps, usually no more than six. I’ve read numerous articles in the archives, and I really like Waterbury’s ideas. So, I’ve tried to put something together.

Monday
Squat 10x3
Bench 10x3

A-1: Military Press 4x6
A-2: T-Bar 4x6

B-1: Curls 4x6
B-2: Skulls 4x6

Tuesday
*light cardio
*abs and calves

Wednesday
Squat 10x3
Military 10x3

A-1: Bench 4x6

B-1: Dips
B-2: Pull-ups (supinated)

Thursday
*same as Tuesday

Friday
Squat 10x3
Pull-ups or Pulldowns 10x3 (depending on how my neck feels)

Saturday
*same as Tuesday

I would appreciate any feedback or modifications to this routine. I’m new to this type of training, so I’m not sure how to set up a good program. When I finish my squat cycle, I plan on trying the “Waterbury Method” program just like Chad wrote it. The rep schemes fit my neck problem perfect.

I’m squatting 3x a week just to jump start my legs. Seems to be working.

My shoulders and arms don’t seem to be responding too well. Actually, I think I’m losing size everywhere, except my legs. But, at the same time, I’m getting stronger. Is there any way to balance out size and strength?

Thanks for the help!!

[quote]cpatzel wrote:

Monday
Squat 10x3
Bench 10x3

A-1: Military Press 4x6

Tuesday
*light cardio
*abs and calves

Wednesday
Squat 10x3
Military 10x3

B-1: Dips
B-2: Pull-ups (supinated)

Thursday
*same as Tuesday

Friday
Squat 10x3
Pull-ups or Pulldowns 10x3 (depending on how my neck feels)

Saturday
*same as Tuesday

I’m squatting 3x a week just to jump start my legs. Seems to be working.

My shoulders and arms don’t seem to be responding too well. Actually, I think I’m losing size everywhere, except my legs. But, at the same time, I’m getting stronger. Is there any way to balance out size and strength?

Thanks for the help!!
[/quote]

It looks alright, but why pair up the 10x3’s? there’s a reason they’re usually not pair, they kick your (mine anyway) ass. Instead of squating 3x, why not dead, squat, and lunge/split squat?

Not to be a jerk or anything, but why don’t you just try the Waterbury Method Program?