Swiss Balls Pulled After Tragedy

[quote]bomberlow wrote:
Zeb - Comon give these babies a try! at first i couldn’t use weight on this exercise, and bodyweight was enough, now i’m using various weight, it’s a great exercise, give it a go, you never know you may like it :wink: Alternating swiss ball chops - Just imagine you are a big bad lumberjack cuttin down those trees! [/quote]

Hey…I guess you will have to call me old fashion. I’ll take Barbell Squats in a squat rack and other assorted Barbell and Dumbbell work.

When I feel like a change (which I do once per week), I train strong man which consists of Log Presses, Rock lifting, Sand bags etc. And as far as making those big bad lumberjack muscles I do two things: I hit a tire with a Sledge. And when I really feel like hitting those lumber jack muscles I go out in the woods and actually chop down trees!

I know…I know…all that is not as good as a Swiss ball but it will have to do. :wink:

I’d love to have my swiss balls pulled.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
bomberlow wrote:
Zeb - Comon give these babies a try! at first i couldn’t use weight on this exercise, and bodyweight was enough, now i’m using various weight, it’s a great exercise, give it a go, you never know you may like it :wink: Alternating swiss ball chops - Just imagine you are a big bad lumberjack cuttin down those trees!

Hey…I guess you will have to call me old fashion. I’ll take Barbell Squats in a squat rack and other assorted Barbell and Dumbbell work.

When I feel like a change (which I do once per week), I train strong man which consists of Log Presses, Rock lifting, Sand bags etc. And as far as making those big bad lumberjack muscles I do two things: I hit a tire with a Sledge. And when I really feel like hitting those lumber jack muscles I go out in the woods and actually chop down trees!

I know…I know…all that is not as good as a Swiss ball but it will have to do. ;)[/quote]

Yeah, but have you taken a Swiss Ball out to the woods and cut down trees on it? With a chain saw???

Personally, I think they ruined it when they removed the handle. As kids, we used to hop around the back yard on it.

DB

[quote]nephorm wrote:
I’d love to have my swiss balls pulled.[/quote]

Just don’t marry the first girl who does this for you;)

DB

[quote]Youch wrote:
I can see your point but wouldn’t you say that some types of training equipment and training protocols are more dangerous than others? Whats more if I’m going to do something that could be dangerous I’d want a better return than that given by something like side raises![/quote]

I see your point - Some bogus training protocols are not even safe to begin with. But in terms of the good ones, how one use (or abuse) them is the question.

[quote]Youch wrote:
I know its an old argument but don’t heavy squats, deads, and presses work your “core”? I do, however agree that SB’s have there use I even occasionally use them myself; my problem is that they are looked upon by some as the answer to everything.

Regards Youch
[/quote]

Heavy squats, deads, and presses work do work your core, and I am not saying SB work should be a subsitute for that. However, SB work (and other direct core/abs work) give different muscle activation.

And Youch, I am not saying one should crunch on SB with a pink dumbbell for 30mins!

Hope this time you see where I am coming from.

Geek boy

[quote]Miserere wrote:
bomberlow, have you been reading Men’s Fitness again…? :-)[/quote]

LOL - Ah you busted me! I confess it was from mens fitness, but the piece was written by Alwyn Cosgrove. :wink:

[quote]nephorm wrote:
I’d love to have my swiss balls pulled.[/quote]

Nephorm, this is only funny if you’re actually Swiss.

Sorry, it’s just one of those jokes.

:-p

[quote]
Hey…I guess you will have to call me old fashion. I’ll take Barbell Squats in a squat rack and other assorted Barbell and Dumbbell work.

When I feel like a change (which I do once per week), I train strong man which consists of Log Presses, Rock lifting, Sand bags etc. And as far as making those big bad lumberjack muscles I do two things: I hit a tire with a Sledge. And when I really feel like hitting those lumber jack muscles I go out in the woods and actually chop down trees!
I know…I know…all that is not as good as a Swiss ball but it will have to do. ;)[/quote]

Couldn’t agree with you more sir! If i had my own garage, even a garden i’d get back to basics with the tire n sledge etc. but i just dont have the environment around me to do that. Must move my ass out of this flat n get a house!

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Nephorm, this is only funny if you’re [/quote]

How do you know I’m not swiss? Am I not neutral enough for ya?

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Miserere wrote:
Nephorm, this is only funny if you’re

How do you know I’m not swiss? Am I not neutral enough for ya?
[/quote]

C’mon. Prove it! Give us a yodel!

[quote]nephorm wrote:
How do you know I’m not swiss? Am I not neutral enough for ya?
[/quote]

Until you prove otherwise, I’m assuming you look like your avatar.

You cannot be neutral if you look like that.

And yes, I can tell that much from looking at a person’s face :slight_smile:

[quote]geekboy wrote:
Youch wrote:
I can see your point but wouldn’t you say that some types of training equipment and training protocols are more dangerous than others? Whats more if I’m going to do something that could be dangerous I’d want a better return than that given by something like side raises!

I see your point - Some bogus training protocols are not even safe to begin with. But in terms of the good ones, how one use (or abuse) them is the question.

Youch wrote:
I know its an old argument but don’t heavy squats, deads, and presses work your “core”? I do, however agree that SB’s have there use I even occasionally use them myself; my problem is that they are looked upon by some as the answer to everything.

Regards Youch

Heavy squats, deads, and presses work do work your core, and I am not saying SB work should be a subsitute for that. However, SB work (and other direct core/abs work) give different muscle activation.

And Youch, I am not saying one should crunch on SB with a pink dumbbell for 30mins!

Hope this time you see where I am coming from.

Geek boy[/quote]

Hi Geek boy

I think I know where you’re coming from; you’re a regular contributer to these fori and as such you would have more knowledge than 99% of gym goers, however I’m affraid that I have to agree with Zeb and stick with my basic exercises!

Regards Youch

I heard that after the neck breaker, all swiss ball exercises had to be under the supervision on a personal trainer.

What a load of crap. Everyone wants to blame someone else for their mistakes. Americans are the biggest offenders and the rest of the world is following. Soon we wont be able to do anything because no one wants to get sued.

I’ll jump, kneel, squats, crunch on a swiss ball because I find it fun and challenging. I’ll also deadlift, squat, and chinup without one for the same reasons. Sure I could break my kneck, but I’ve done much crazier things on my snowboard and motorbike.

Know the risks then make your own decision.