Swiss Ball Abs

hi
while watching the Machinist i noticed that Christian bale had well defined abs despite lack of body mass. i talked to my friend with a CSCS, he suggested that doing full range crunches on the swiss ball would contribute to gaining such a physique. i am wondering what would be the difference between this and hanging leg raises, or if anyone knows which ab exercise utilizes the most range.

or if anyone has great experience with the swiss ball, what size should i get, and how much air should i fill it with?

thanks

[quote]pizzlemank wrote:
hi
while watching the Machinist i noticed that Christian bale had well defined abs despite lack of body mass. i talked to my friend with a CSCS, he suggested that doing full range crunches on the swiss ball would contribute to gaining such a physique. i am wondering what would be the difference between this and hanging leg raises, or if anyone knows which ab exercise utilizes the most range.

or if anyone has great experience with the swiss ball, what size should i get, and how much air should i fill it with?

thanks[/quote]

i don’t like you.

maybe you should ask your friend with the CSCS.

Of course swiss ball crunches will help you define your abs but so will all the other ab exercises you can think of. Diet and genetics play a much greater role than any exercise selection though so keep that in mind.

My advice would be to work your abs twice a week or so with added resistance that allows you to get 10-12 reps per set. Dial in your diet and when the fat goes you’ll see the muscle you worked for.

As far as good swiss ball go, you’re kind of in the wrong place to ask that. Most of us here consider them toys. YOUR size will determine what size the ball should be and pressure is whatever feels comfortable for YOU. They’re available online pretty cheap.

Good luck,
K

Go on a concentration camp starvation program and you too will have abs. No frolicking on a Swiss ball needed.

[quote]lizard king wrote:
Go on a concentration camp starvation program and you too will have abs. No frolicking on a Swiss ball needed. [/quote]

Indeed. Christian Bale’s diet for that movie was as follows:

Meal 1: 1 can of tuna, 1 apple.

Repeat for about 60 days. If you’re not deranged, you will have abs like him.

Are you fucking serious? Christian Bale lived off nothing but coffee, cigarettes, and an apple a day to achieve that physique.

The point wasn’t to have “abs”, the point was to physically embody a truly sick, self-masochistic individual.

Oh, and by the way, when he started training for Batman Begins after finishing The Machinist, he couldn’t do one fucking push-up. Is that really the physique you want?

If you want to model yourself after him, at least go for Bale in Batman or American Psycho.

[quote]pizzlemank wrote:
hi

thanks[/quote]

I saw the “Machinist” last night as well, can you imagine not sleeping for a year? I went to the Blockbuster downtown and saw a guy about 165 pound and he looked asian and was eating seaweed. Was that you?

hilarious… i also saw the machinist the other night… crazy movie.

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
pizzlemank wrote:
hi

thanks

I saw the “Machinist” last night as well, can you imagine not sleeping for a year? I went to the Blockbuster downtown and saw a guy about 165 pound and he looked asian and was eating seaweed. Was that you?

[/quote]

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, I rented it from Blockbuster. Oh by the way, you left your Surge at the gym that time after we did the front squats. I have it now, ill give it to you tonight when we do our GPP. Make sure you wear your socks too. Actually I am now near 170 lbs, but since seeing the Machinist Ive been thinking about cutting down some.

[quote]ZedLeppelin wrote:
pizzlemank wrote:
hi

thanks

i don’t like you.
[/quote]

Yeah me neither. what the hell. why would you want to look like that. we should have you banned from this site for asking questions like that. i’m embarrassed to have ever read your post.

Zed that was a true post from a true T-Nation man. TC and everybody else would be laughing at this i can’t believe this guy wrote this.

[quote]pizzlemank wrote:
digitalairair wrote:
I saw the “Machinist” last night as well, can you imagine not sleeping for a year? I went to the Blockbuster downtown and saw a guy about 165 pound and he looked Asian and was eating seaweed. Was that you?

Yes, I rented it from Blockbuster. Oh by the way, you left your Surge at the gym that time after we did the front squats. I have it now, ill give it to you tonight when we do our GPP. Make sure you wear your socks too. Actually I am now near 170 lbs, but since seeing the Machinist Ive been thinking about cutting down some. [/quote]

Thanks, I was just wondering where my Surge went.

By the way I am not a big fan of swiss balls but I talked to my mom who had some experiences with swiss balls and she told me that for aesthetic purposes its best to have a considerably flat swiss ball.

But if your goal is explosiveness and in your case i would assume relative strength, then its the best to fill the ball up at about 75 percent intensity. One way to test the intensity of the ball is the poke it with your pinky, You should be able to only poke the ball about 2 inches in.

But to be honest, slimming down is more about diet then anything else. Try the search button, I’m sure this site is informed with tons of diet related topics.

it would have been a good thread if you included pictures.
I guess Bale from the machinist has replaced Pitt from fight club as the ideal physique lol