SWIS Symposium Postponed

I just rec’d this news, via email. Thought I should share it with you all:

SWIS 2003 Symposium Postponed

I have made a very difficult decision. I am postponing the symposium and have rescheduled it to next year, October 22-24, 2004.

The SARS media campaign has really affected peoples
perception of the situation and there is some fear about coming to Toronto right now. This has interfered with presenters, exhibitors and also delegates wanting to attend this years symposium, so I have chosen to hold off until this situation has passed. It is unfortunate, but it will give me more time to make an even better symposium for next year. I have contacted all of the presenters that were to present? this year and they have all stated that they will definitely be there next year with new and exciting information.

Well that blows. This year I thought I could make it.

Okay, Cass; now I’ll admit you’re right:)

Seriously, though; this sucks. Let’s move it to Boston…or Storrs!

There was a media dry spell. So they decided to hype up this useless virus. Regular old pneumonia kills more people yearly then does SARS.

Yet another downside to being able to label something.

Just received the email as well and was very surprised. I live here in Toronto and the media would have people think we are all walking around with masks and avoiding leaving our houses. I can honestly say that if you were to not turn on the television or read the newspaper, you would not notice a difference in the day-to-day lives of the people who live in this city.

Shit.

Doh! I really enjoyed going last year. Cries his eyes out!!! :frowning:

Just means Ko and I have one more year to save $$ to be able to attend.

Just lookin’ at the positives, since I’m a “glass is half full” kinda gal :-))

Die Nadel, are you saying that there was a media in canada in general and that the canadian media talked up the SARS virus

or

There was media dry spell regarding the symposium and the organizers of the symposium talked up SARS as an excuse?

loopfitt, hmm I figured it would not be that bad… In Aus we have not really heard of anything to do with SARS in North America, only Asia…

I strugle to come to terms with the fact that so many people that i am assuming are in the healthcare profession are so fearful of going to canada.

In Canada there was too much media coverage of SARS…