T Nation

Swimming To Burn Fat

Ok so I’ve been lifting now for roughly 3 months and I’ve made some really good gains, went from 186 to 200lbs in 3 months time, mostly from just lifting. My problem is that I still cant figure out how to eat 5 to 6 times a day. I just cant seem to find any way to fill those meals. Right now I eat strictly 3 times a day, as healthy as my limited college student budget will allow. So my first question is, what do you guys suggest eating for those 5 to 6 small meals a day?

My next question is, I’ve pretty much neglected any sort of cardio workout so I’m still carrying a good amount of body fat. I want to start swimming as I hear its a great way to tone up, burn off excess body fat, and great for overall cardio fitness. What is your guys, here at T-Nations forums take on swimming goes for a cardio exercise? Also any advice on how to go about getting into a swimming routine would be killer.

My main dig at swimming is that a lot of people including myself feel really, really hungry after swimming. Wait, that’s probably a good thing for a skinny bastard like me. So in short, I think it’s a good idea if you don’t feel really hungry afterwards but a lot of people do

[quote]ah_dut wrote:
My main dig at swimming is that a lot of people including myself feel really, really hungry after swimming. Wait, that’s probably a good thing for a skinny bastard like me. So in short, I think it’s a good idea if you don’t feel really hungry afterwards but a lot of people do[/quote]

I find this to be the case too. Just something about swimming. I ran competitively in high school and college, but our coaches would have us do pool workouts for cross-training sometimes. I would always be STARVING afterwards, and tear through my whole fridge. Way more so than an intense interval track workout.

I’m starting to do some cardio too. I’m erging, since my sister is home from college and is on her crew team. This should help my strength too. It’s a great workout and you might consider it.

The main argument that I have heard against swimming for fat burning is that the cold water will make your body retain more fat to protect against the cold. I am not sure how accurate that argument is and how big of a problem it is. None of the top swimmers seem to be super ripped.

But I still think its an excellent choice. No impact, you get to train most of your muscles, nothing wrong with that.

I use to go for midnight swims when I was working nights. The water was a bit chilly, but I had never felt better.

• POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
The main argument that I have heard against swimming for fat burning is that the cold water will make your body retain more fat to protect against the cold. I am not sure how accurate that argument is and how big of a problem it is. None of the top swimmers seem to be super ripped.

But I still think its an excellent choice. No impact, you get to train most of your muscles, nothing wrong with that.

I use to go for midnight swims when I was working nights. The water was a bit chilly, but I had never felt better.

• POC[/quote]

Not sure where you hard this but ive heard exactly the opposite go in cold water to burn more K/cals, fat. the body has to ramp up just to stay wamr. Many BBers use ice baths, to jack up the metabolsim, ice showers keep the A?C jacked up etc.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Not sure where you hard this but ive heard exactly the opposite go in cold water to burn more K/cals, fat. the body has to ramp up just to stay wamr. Many BBers use ice baths, to jack up the metabolsim, ice showers keep the A?C jacked up etc.

Phill[/quote]

I tried to find scientific studies, but no luck. So I can’t back it up with anything. Anyway, the rationale was that your body will increase subcutaneous fat all over to protect against the cold water. I personally think it has some truth to it, but not to the extent that it would be a huge obstacle to fat loss. But I don’t know if it would be a smart thing to do if you are trying to achieve a very low fat percentage.

• POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

I tried to find scientific studies, but no luck. So I can’t back it up with anything. Anyway, the rationale was that your body will increase subcutaneous fat all over to protect against the cold water. I personally think it has some truth to it, but not to the extent that it would be a huge obstacle to fat loss. But I don’t know if it would be a smart thing to do if you are trying to achieve a very low fat percentage.

• POC[/quote]

Oh I hear you bro much like my selfand people whom have lived in a place thats has season a definate COLD ass winter come that time no matter what my body want to hold more BF then come spring even Upping intake I lean out fast. Well this also if your active and work/play outside in the damn weather LOL.

The thing is swinmming etc its not a constant like a season MONTHS you know it will be an activity say an hour at most or so a few times a week a more of a shock But yhea I can see the adaptation but man i think it would take a ton and feel the studies about the body jacking uop the metabolisdm to stay warm have a bit more validity.

Thanks for the discussion though always good to have multiple views,
Phill

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

• POC[/quote]

I have read that too, and wonder under what conditions it applies. I am skeptical that an over fat person on a sub maintenance calorie intake coupled with caloric expenditure via swimming is going to be fatter because of some cold water repartitioning phenomenon.

Makes a little bit of sense though provided other conditions. If cold water swimming were to happen often, the adaptation would be to move stored fat where it would be more able to maintain heat.

To the OP, I read somewhere else about the EPOC of non familiar exercise. That the EPOC is higher in non familliar exercise moreso than that of familiar work. If that is true, and you aint so used to swimming no more, then swim for a while and ride the impact until it doesn’t have the impact any longer.

Swimming is great…and there’s a reason you’re so hungry afterwards. Because you do burn a whole hell of a lot of calories. You do sweat also, so you lose a lot of water too. So keep a bottle of water nearby…and eat a nice, high-protein meal afterwards.

Most lap swimmers (not all) I see are fat. I am not talking about competitive athletes, just the guys that go and swim endless laps.

It really is amazing. I am sure their cardio fitness is very good, they are just fat. I am not sure if fat guys are drawn to swimming because it is easier on the joints or if skinny guys quit swimming because they get too cold.

Whatever the cause every pool I have been to over the years has been dominated by fat lap swimmers.

Obviously swimming does not make one fat but there sure are a lot of fat swimmers!

Do some sort of exercise that you enjoy and gets you breathing hard and tighten up your diet and you will lose weight. Diet is key.

I am not sure how valid this information is, but my lifeguard instructor told us that you cannot burn fat while swimming, it is physically impossible. Now his argument was that the water isolates the fat and keeps it from burning or something.

Now like the poster above me i’ve noticed the same thing, a lot of the lifeguards were somewhat fat, even though they swam a lot.

So my conclusion is that swimming is good for staying lean but it is not good for getting lean.

[quote]Vasa wrote:
I am not sure how valid this information is, but my lifeguard instructor told us that you cannot burn fat while swimming, it is physically impossible. Now his argument was that the water isolates the fat and keeps it from burning or something. [/quote]

I don’t know if you were kidding or not but…That is one of the funniest posts I read here. Calorie expenditure and EPOC will help you “burn” fat if you eat less than you spend. As for the comment on fat swimmers, muscle is more dense than fat so jacked and ripped guys have a harder time in water than “fatter than ripped” guys, that MAY explains why there is no ripped guys swimming. Just my 2% of 1$.

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

• POC[/quote]

All of those arguments are crap. Seriously. Humans are not seals, whales, or dolphins.

No, elite swimmers are generally not as ‘cut’ as, for example, track sprinters. That has a lot to do with how swim training is conducted and the fact that fat, as long as it is not enough to cause form drag, aids bouyancy. Trust me if elite swimmers thought that being cut to the hilt would help, they would be.

A lot of recreational swimmers are fat. Why? Because they eat too much. Why don’t they get slim through swimming? Because they eat too much and/or don’t swim long enough or hard enough. I don’t know what kind of lap swimmers you see at the pool, but generally when I see overweight lap swimmers, they aren’t doing much more than 25-50 yards/meters at a shot, and doing more splashing around than actual swimming.

Swimming DOES boost appetite though and that could be a potential issue if you are trying to lose weight.

[quote]Wockilla wrote:
My next question is, I’ve pretty much neglected any sort of cardio workout so I’m still carrying a good amount of body fat. I want to start swimming as I hear its a great way to tone up, burn off excess body fat, and great for overall cardio fitness. What is your guys, here at T-Nations forums take on swimming goes for a cardio exercise? Also any advice on how to go about getting into a swimming routine would be killer.[/quote]

Hard to give you much of a swimming routine if we don’t know how well you swim.

Regarding watertemp, I read the water should be above 75 deg in order for your body not to hold on to fat. As far as swimming itself, beginners will burn my cals than reg. swimmers. The beginner is using more cals to stay afloat.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
Vasa wrote:
I am not sure how valid this information is, but my lifeguard instructor told us that you cannot burn fat while swimming, it is physically impossible. Now his argument was that the water isolates the fat and keeps it from burning or something.

I don’t know if you were kidding or not but…That is one of the funniest posts I read here. Calorie expenditure and EPOC will help you “burn” fat if you eat less than you spend. As for the comment on fat swimmers, muscle is more dense than fat so jacked and ripped guys have a harder time in water than “fatter than ripped” guys, that MAY explains why there is no ripped guys swimming. Just my 2% of 1$.[/quote]

I was being serious, but like i said, that info has been given to me by my instructor. However as some of the guys mentioned, may be the problem with using swimming for fat loss is that it makes you hungry and you go home and pig out and all that swimming goes to waste.

I think when I do diet down, I’ll do swimming as my cardio, 'cuz I don’t running anymore.

the majority of the stuff said on this page is impossible. humans cannot move fat stores on demand.

Burke, L. Swimmers: body fat mystery! Sportscience News Nov-Dec 1997.
http://www.sportsci.org/news/compeat/fat.html