Swimming, I Sink Like an Anchor

I sink too, swimming well is just a matter of being able to control your breath and movement to stop yourself sinking so quickly

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Oh, and they’re called “fins,” not flippers. :wink:

That said, you should be able to tread water while using your arms and hands.[/quote]

Damn you… Now I lost 5 min of my life watching that addicting avatar of yours!!

[quote]HvRv wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Oh, and they’re called “fins,” not flippers. :wink:

That said, you should be able to tread water while using your arms and hands.

Damn you… Now I lost 5 min of my life watching that addicting avatar of yours!! [/quote]

There’s a version that runs backwards that’s even more compelling.

Water always was second nature to me. I remember diving as deep as 5m at the age of 10, with only swimming googles. Always been very good at navigating myself under water, and when swimming.

And when you float, you still move your arms and legs. If you stop all motion, you will obviously sink. Don’t know how to explain it, always came off as natural to me.

[quote]EmileZola wrote:
If i swim, I’m Ok. If I stop, even if I take the biggest breath ever, I sink like a rock. There’s no way I float.[/quote]

same here. i did the dead man’s float for a scuba class, and just plummet to the bottom even with a big breath of air. they gave me a kick board to hold on to haha. it’s always been like this since i was a little kid. actually my brother floated like a foam cup and couldn’t get to the bottom of the pool, whereas i had no problem. boy did that make him jealous :slight_smile:

i avoid swimming any distance in deep water without fins for this very reason. if i get tired, i’m fucked!

[quote]sumabeast wrote:
I sink like an anchor when I get in a pool. no matter how hard I kick and stroke I can’t stay afloat. only help is when I wear flippers.
Some say it’s because high muscle mass decreases buoyancy.
any other lifters experience this?[/quote]

No - believe it or not it is technique. I have taught swimming for years - and even had some black people with practically zero percent body fat swimming like fish (not being racist here but traditionally blacks have a hard time swiming for some reason - till properly taught).

Check this out:

Are you pretty lean compared to him ? I mean, me and my buds have the theory it’s all about fat % and muscle density. It seem every time we tried this, the chubby floated and the more muscular sank to a certain degree.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
EmileZola wrote:
If i swim, I’m Ok. If I stop, even if I take the biggest breath ever, I sink like a rock. There’s no way I float.

same here. i did the dead man’s float for a scuba class, and just plummet to the bottom even with a big breath of air. they gave me a kick board to hold on to haha. it’s always been like this since i was a little kid. actually my brother floated like a foam cup and couldn’t get to the bottom of the pool, whereas i had no problem. boy did that make him jealous :slight_smile:

i avoid swimming any distance in deep water without fins for this very reason. if i get tired, i’m fucked![/quote]

I can’t swim worth shit. I can doggy paddle for about 5ft and then I’m sinking and/or drowning to death.

Ive been a swimmer for 13 years now, the best advice i can give u is, dont ttry to kick and stroke to hard, you will only tense the muscles and u will get tired very quickly and sink. Just do it in a relaxed manner until you get used to it and u master the technic. It is a slow process but eventually u will get it, and then u will know how and when to apply strenth.

BTW weight traininG affects your abbility to float only psycologicaly, i are used to use yor muscles applying a lot of strenth, and swimming is about learning how to move swiflty in the water, when u learn how to move like that u can apply strenth to do it faster, not the other way around. Also learn to breathe properly :slight_smile: and keep practicing.

Why fight it. Just become a diver.

I started picking up swimming again and found it hard to float on my back! Any advice on how to float on my back and to get the hips up (legs feel heavy and body collapses)? I took lessons before (at least 10 years ago) and had no problems floating. Since then I’ve been lifting heavier weights. My kicks are weak due to tight hamstrings and hip flexors. I started foam rolling to release some tightness, any other suggestions?

Smaller faster kicks. Alot of people will kick from the knee, but you should have you legs almost locked and kick from your hips and glutes. When swimming to prevent your lower body from getting horizontal in the water and have it always moving side to side so your predominantly vertical.

The more you push your chest down and keep you core tight, the more your lower body will rise up.
Instead to of trying to swim faster, try to reach more with every stroke, keep your hips up chest down, and kick white water.
Finish your pull, your hand should pass by your hips after the “stroke”.

Most people arent comfortable in the water and freak out and then sink.
Also most people arent comfortable with having their head under water so the pull their head up, which pulls your legs down (like a see saw) and you sink.

[quote]sumabeast wrote:
I sink like an anchor when I get in a pool. no matter how hard I kick and stroke I can’t stay afloat. only help is when I wear flippers.
Some say it’s because high muscle mass decreases buoyancy.
any other lifters experience this?[/quote]

Until very recently, I used to sink like that too. I taught myself how to swim without any help. The first step I took was to get into the shallow end and make my body horizontal, and let myself sink. After a while I became very comfortable with the feeling of letting my head go underwater.

Usually people arch their bodies trying to keep their head above water. No need. Let it go under if you need to, to begin.

If you keep hitting the water, and check some youtube vids, you’ll see how to lengthen your body across the water, and that really really helps. I’m sure others will give better advice, but definitely get yourself comfy with takeing your head underwater and feeling your body float just under the surface.

Look into the “Total Immersion” method of swimming practice. Like back211 and Magicpunch said it has to do with body position in the water and TI provides a series of drills to train correct alignment. I am a serious sinker myself and was amazed at the difference in my swimming in just a few weeks. It takes a little patience and discipline but is totally worth it IMO.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/home

You guys bumped a 2 year old thread.

That being said, I wonder if the OP learned how to swim by now. lol

^
DOH’T! Facepalm.

Jesus, it’s a goddamn epidemic.

CHECK THE LAST POST BEFORE YOU POST.

No one gives a fuck about 2 year old conversations.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Jesus, it’s a goddamn epidemic.

CHECK THE LAST POST BEFORE YOU POST.

No one gives a fuck about 2 year old conversations. [/quote]

On that note…