Swim Your Own Race

Welcome back to it!! I will that your re-entry is without difficulty.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
How’s the coach doing?
[/quote]
He is persevering despite his numerous physical challenges. He plans to compete at USAPL Masters Nationals in six weeks and has some serious competition. It may all come down to who lifts the smartest and plays the numbers game best.

I’m on day 8 of a bronchial ailment. I’ve been coughing myself silly. Sleep has been elusive. It is fortunate that I am just getting back to lifting and only have to move light weights.

Today.

Squat
8/45
5/60
3/10/70
1/85
1/95

Coughing fits after the sets of ten were not pretty. Form feels spot-on.

Deficit Sumo DL
3/10/95

Seated GMs
3/10/60

Lying Hammie Curl
3/12/40

Planks
3/75 seconds

I’ve been talking to Lil Power’s nutritionist. I’m curious and have always felt that optimal nutrition has been the missing link for me in this sport.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I’ve been talking to Lil Power’s nutritionist. I’m curious and have always felt that optimal nutrition has been the missing link for me in this sport.
[/quote]

Yes!!!

good work for being back

did you say 75second planks
that is an eternity

cool. will be interested to hear about your nutrition if you post some of it… i suspect i have huge gains to make on that front, too.

Hey there. I’m a bit late to the party, story of my life :wink:
So you’ll have to explain again what happened to your foot?

Yeour back squat has been beautiful for as long as Ive been following you!

My daughter has been running her abs sequence on me, and every time I have to go in plank I dread it.
Probably my least fav move, mainly because of the “still” factor so she added in some side to side movement
(me and my big mouth)

Diet should be interesting, where do you think you are falling off with it?
I remember not long ago reading you ate over 3k a day? Unless its all junk, which I highly doubt…explain ?

EDIT: Hope you feel 100% soon, maybe this was a way to keep you from going ballz to the wallz , eh?!!

Hang in there Snap!

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
did you say 75second planks
that is an eternity[/quote]
Maybe it’s because I’m small, but planks are not all that difficult for me. I should start weighting them.

[quote]minimaltechno wrote:
So you’ll have to explain again what happened to your foot?[/quote]
I have hypermobility in my joints. It makes me more prone to injury. The joint at the base of my big toe became hypermobile and would slide all over the place, causing pain and stress in other area of my foot. To combat that, I had the joint above my arch fused and a plate installed to give me stability. Also a second toe fusion. I had my other foot done with a different procedure five years ago because of the exact same problem. There’s a certain benefit in being hyperflexible, but not in terms of powerlifting. I have to be very, very careful. Moving beyond the normal range of motion probably contributed to my shoulder injury as well.

[quote]Up wrote:
I remember not long ago reading you ate over 3k a day? Unless its all junk, which I highly doubt…explain ?
[/quote]
I have never counted calories in my life. But I would bet it’s not the optimal blend of nutrients to maximize strength gains/muscle building.

As an aside, with the max exodus of powerful women, I’m really missing some of their logs. Especially Frenchy.

I am so sorry to hear that the bronchial crap has you. The coughing between sets is oh so familiar.

A Flovent inhaler really helped me alot. I’m still on it, but trying to wean off. Note, this is eight weeks after I fell ill. And my pain tolerance is really high.

Nutrition interests me tremendously, as you know. I’m hoping you can share what you are doing here.

[quote]Up wrote:
[/quote]
I have never counted calories in my life. But I would bet it’s not the optimal blend of nutrients to maximize strength gains/muscle building.

As an aside, with the max exodus of powerful women, I’m really missing some of their logs. Especially Frenchy.[/quote]

Have you tallied up your cals now to see what you are actually taking in? I know you like being in that weight category, maybe too personal but will/would you be ok, if new eating pattern puts size/weight on you? Just for the record: i love your legs(from what you have shown) and your arms are killer, which may just leave some growth in back? which would look uber good on you :wink:

YES, on NlMain I could so relate to going from pin thin to some decent size and still be so happy with the new body. Theres to many words to put here that would describe her and what she brought to the table. Her artistic energy will be missed.

No, I haven’t started calorie counting. Have no interest in it. Haven’t even decided if I’m going to work with Lil Power’s nutritionist. Just chatting at this point.

My bone structure is so tiny that when I put on weight it all goes to my hips and thighs, making me look too pear-shaped. If I could put the weight/mass on where I want/need it, I’d be okay with it. It’s not about a number on the scale for me, although that definitely plays a role at competition time.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
No, I haven’t started calorie counting. Have no interest in it. Haven’t even decided if I’m going to work with Lil Power’s nutritionist. Just chatting at this point.

My bone structure is so tiny that when I put on weight it all goes to my hips and thighs, making me look too pear-shaped. If I could put the weight/mass on where I want/need it, I’d be okay with it. It’s not about a number on the scale for me, although that definitely plays a role at competition time.

[/quote]
Im not a calorie counter either, although i feel like I am at the top of the weight Id like to be, so maybe i should be(ha) I have added it up before, depending on what mode Im in. My body
(read < hormones) loves high fat. I have some strict eating plans that I mcan pull out and modify. I just am not in that head space.
Ok,I hear you on the gain, if the lats wont grow, the pear would grow more prominent, but I have a feeling your “big” and my big (for you) would be a bit different.

Upper body work today.

I should say that I’ve been having, umm, shoulder problems. It’s my “good” one this time. As such, I’ve been very conservative in the bench and not willing to push it one little bit. I’m also hesitant to log my efforts. But whatever.

Flat Bench
10/45
10/55
5/65
8/70 to two boards (still a longer stroke than many of you!)
8/75 " "
5/80 " "
10/55 different foot placement . . . toes pointed out rather than forward. Felt good.

I’m always experimenting with how I can get a bigger bang for my benching buck in terms of tweaking my setup. I have such weak/compromised shoulders that I have to rely on other body parts to get the lift done.

Also did cuff rolls, band pullaparts, seated row, tricep cable pushdown, arnolds.

“Hiked” on rough terrain last night with my husband for the first time with my rebuilt foot. It got tired but did well. I’m planning to walk to work tonight . . . about 3 miles mostly uphill at high elevation.

I pretty much hate bench compared to squats and DL. But you need it for a total. C’est la vie.

Good work in here and good luck with the rehab work, I hope your shoulders stabilize.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]minimaltechno wrote:
So you’ll have to explain again what happened to your foot?[/quote]
I have hypermobility in my joints. It makes me more prone to injury. The joint at the base of my big toe became hypermobile and would slide all over the place, causing pain and stress in other area of my foot. To combat that, I had the joint above my arch fused and a plate installed to give me stability. Also a second toe fusion. I had my other foot done with a different procedure five years ago because of the exact same problem. There’s a certain benefit in being hyperflexible, but not in terms of powerlifting. I have to be very, very careful. Moving beyond the normal range of motion probably contributed to my shoulder injury as well.
[/quote]
Wow they really did a bionic upgrade on your foot.
Oh yes I hear you on the hypermobility. My elbows, wrists and scapular have it. My wrists never bothered me until I started snatching. The only bonus is they are great for doing cleans with the hook grip.

RDL
10/45
8/75

Deficit Conventional DL
3/10/105

Squat
10/45
5/60
4/8/75
1/85
1/95
1/105

Wide-Stance GM
3/8/65

Decline situps with 10-lb plate behind head
3/15

Stepups to High Box with slow eccentric
3/10

Weighted Hypers with 10-lb. plate behind head
3/12

How is your foot feeling after the squats?

I wonder if the good shoulder is sore because you are favoring the “bad” one and making it work harder? Maybe take yourself to your ART guy?

Love to hear about your training, whether or not you are proud of the weight. I’m sympathetic as I think that no-one wants to hear about my puny weights either.