T Nation

Sweaty Grip is Limiting Deadlifts

I don't use gloves to deadlift because I feel they make it harder to grip (or I could just have crappy thick gloves). Usually my palms start to get extremely sweaty and I can't physically hold the bar anymore due to that. I have to stop the set before I have actually reached failure because I can't hold the bar anymore. How can I deal with this?

Have you tried a mixed grip?

Chalk or Straps

/thread

(This really should be in the beginner forum)

chalk?

or lynx grips http://www.lynxpt.com/

take a towel, and wipe your hands/forearms off. wipe the bar off. if you can, get the bar with the most gnurling. (thats the checkered pattern cuts in the bar fyi) and finally, suck it up, and just do it.

[quote]forlife wrote:
Have you tried a mixed grip?[/quote]

yes I always use a mixed grip

[quote]Therizza wrote:
take a towel, and wipe your hands/forearms off. wipe the bar off. if you can, get the bar with the most gnurling. (thats the checkered pattern cuts in the bar fyi) and finally, suck it up, and just do it.[/quote]

it’s not a matter of just doing it, it’s slightly dangerous when the bar is going to drop out of my hands when its 3 feet off the ground. Towel doesn’t really help, my hand goes from dry to completely sweaty in a matter of seconds, also I do not want to use straps.

If grip is a problem, straps are the way to go. I got some lifting hooks for like 60 bucks, but i prefer the 5 dollar straps. I don’t usually use straps at all, mostly i use chalk.

Chalk is amazing, a weight i can barely get for a single with my grip slipping i can hang on to for a whole set with chalk (mixed grip). As another side effect it helps you get rough man-hands, makes it look like you do hard work every now and again haha.

Chalk for the third time.

If your gym doesnt allow the use of the powdered stuff pick up a bottle of liquid chalk, sweat and grip isnt a problem then.

If thats not allowed either wear straps on the heaviest sets or learn to use the hook grip

[quote]SpiderDan wrote:
Chalk for the third time.

If your gym doesnt allow the use of the powdered stuff pick up a bottle of liquid chalk, sweat and grip isnt a problem then.

If thats not allowed either wear straps on the heaviest sets or learn to use the hook grip[/quote]

I just moved and the gym I train at doesn’t allow chalk and I have about a pound left over at my house. Take a black dress sock, cut off the top of it to make a small pouch, add in a couple tablespoons of chalk, tie the top of the sock off with a rubber band and cut off the excess sock. Keep the little pouch in your pocket and chalk up like a ninja before you deadlift. No one will be the wiser, it’s clean and doesn’t ploom out like direct chalk does making a mess.

take a towel, and wipe your hands/forearms off. wipe the bar off. if you can, get the bar with the most gnurling. (thats the checkered pattern cuts in the bar fyi) and finally, suck it up, and just do it.

How is EVERYONE not using chalk? Dry hands are a must for lifting.

Losing stuff because of grip STRENGTH is one thing but losing it because you’re sweating is just dumb.

[quote]shoobey wrote:
also I do not want to use straps. [/quote]

Why? Do you compete and need the grip strength?

This is the bodybuilding forum, so I’m assuming if you’re competing in powerlifting, you’re in the wrong section. Most bodybuilders care more about their physique than grip strength(sorry for anyone here that it isn’t true). Using straps is a great way to get rid of any limitation in grip strength and to overload your muscles.

chalk: about 5 dollars

lifting straps: about 5 dollars

Starting a thread because you couldn’t figure it out yourself: priceless

; )

Chalk

Just the act of chalking stimulates your Central Nervous System through feed-forward neuronal pathways which instantly raises your testosterone levels, increases the calcium content available to the sarccomeres and significantly reduces acetylcholine reuptake at the neuromuscular junction resulting in a grip that can separate covalent bonds. Ok…maybe not but chalk works and makes you feel good.

I was just talking to Dave_ about this earlier. Hopefully the Liquid Chalk I ordered will hope.

[quote]amphibian wrote:
Just the act of chalking stimulates your Central Nervous System through feed-forward neuronal pathways which instantly raises your testosterone levels, increases the calcium content available to the sarccomeres and significantly reduces acetylcholine reuptake at the neuromuscular junction resulting in a grip that can separate covalent bonds. Ok…maybe not but chalk works and makes you feel good.[/quote]

No, no, no… it’s when you do lines of it & snort it BEFORE the lift…

But seriously to the OP, use chalk - unless you have hyperhydrosis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis - in which case you might need to see a doctor for some treatment options.

Good luck.

You could also try using those circular grip things made out of rubber/foam sold at dollar stores to open stubborn jars & such. Also used to keep dishes in cupboards. Worked for me for a while but they disintegrate quickly.

If it’s dangerous to drop the weight when you are deadlifting, you are doing something seriously wrong.