T Nation

Sweating

Hello compatriots! I’ve been lurking here for quite a while and decided to sign up since I have a problem that modern (crap) medicine cannot fix. I am 21 years of age and have never had any medical problems and have no allergies.

Since changing my diet and workouts after visiting this site about 1 year ago, I have noticed awesome body comp changes. I carry much more lean muscle and Berardi’s 7 Habits along with heavy compound lifts and sandbag work are keeping my metabolism racing.

However, though these changes are great, I started sweating like a pig 2 or 3 months into my new regimen. It started off as night sweats in bed, but now occurs exclusively in the daytime.

Deoderant/anti-persperant or not, I’ll sweat through a t-shirt within minutes of waking up. My short bike ride to work leaves my shirt drenched – even though I have great cardio and am far from exerting myself during the 1.5 mile trip. A quick game of pickup soccer almost blinds me with the amount of sweat on my brow!

It has also gotten worse. Originally it was mostly my armpits, but within the past month it has spread to my brow, my upper back and chest. The glands all turn on at the same time and drench me.

I have researched a bit on here (and of course elsewhere), and relevant things I have noticed mostly relate to low-carb diets (this is info from the AD thread) and how a lack of carbs makes some people on the diet break out in sweat easily also. I’ve also thought that my water intake was the problem, and bumped it up to 160 oz. per day (measured by my nalgene bottle) for the last month with no effects.

This problem is seriously affecting many parts of my life, and I am blessed to have a girlfriend who doesn’t mind (thank god for the neverending stiff that seems to be directly related to my healthy lifestyle!). Work can be hell when you have pit stains and must always wear white or black shirts or a very loose fitting overgarment to cover them up, as colored shirts just get dark and obvious. It is a terrible malady!

I plan to do a full panel of blood work to see if it is related. I have also read that mercury can cause sweats, and these are what my cavity fillings are made of.

In conclusion, I am more than happy to give any more information that would make solving this problem easier, if it is even curable – most websites and literature I’ve read say you basically must grow out of it. If you have any tips, or have overcome this malaise, I would love to hear your input. Thanks!

By the way, call me Brian!

It is termed “hyperhydrosis”. I have the same problem. The majority of my wardrobe is either loose UnderArmour or similar “moisture wicking shirts”. That is honestly the only thing I have found to actually help. I’m a big guy but I have always sweat more than usual. It just seems to have gotten worse the bigger I get. This can cause problems when the goal is to look confident and your patient sees you sweating like crazy while you are holding a sharp instrument or a needle. Luckily, my mouth makes up for my image.

Things you can try are:
Non-prescription Antiperspirant
They sell competitive brands containing aluminum chloride hexahydrate behind the counter at pharmacies.

Prescription antiperspirants
Drysol is the leading form of aluminum chloride hexahydrate and to my knowledge still needs a script.

There are new surgeries that actually sever the glands that lead to excessive sweating.

I personally have found none of the antip’s to work because much of my sweating is also from my head. I tend to stick with the “moisture wicking shirts”, dark colors and a towel. That has honestly worked better than anything else.

Correction, Drysol apparently no longer needs a prescription. Just ask for it at the Pharmacy.

Nice bike. Does it come with a single shoe?

Thanks for the info Prof. I’ll check out drysol but like you I don’t think it is the total solution, though it may help.

@Chek - one of the major reasons I finally signed up was because of Shugart’s posts about Biotest/Spike sponsoring a track racing team. Track racing is my favorite way to get HIIT training in, though we don’t really call it that. Thought you might enjoy fast red things that don’t cost insurance or gas money.

[quote]juan.lopez wrote:
Thought you might enjoy fast red things that don’t cost insurance or gas money.[/quote]

Like this?

I sweat like a pig at night mostly…to the point my pillow needs to be turned over 1/2 way through the night.

It comes and goes but has never happened before I started lifting, using creatine and protein powder.

Currently I’m in a gusher mode where I profusely sweat. 2 weeks ago I couldn’t even break a sweat in the gym. Today, 1 set and I’m flowing…weird stuff.

Or these…

I have the same thing. Im not even all that big.

Drysol does work. But once in a while your skin gets so dry it splits open and is really painful. I think its always been over the counter in Canada.

You may want to get your thyroid checked. Ive heard that this can be the case.

It sucks though, i can usually stay under control unless I go to a hot club or somthing, then I may as well go swimming.

And for those wondering, often the case is anxeity, but for me its not. Im the calmest person ever.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
I sweat like a pig at night mostly…to the point my pillow needs to be turned over 1/2 way through the night.

It comes and goes but has never happened before I started lifting, using creatine and protein powder.

Currently I’m in a gusher mode where I profusely sweat. 2 weeks ago I couldn’t even break a sweat in the gym. Today, 1 set and I’m flowing…weird stuff.[/quote]

I’ve been sweating a lot in my sleep, I always wake up to a cold damp pillow and have to urn it over in the middle of the night!

@topic starter: I don’t know what can help really besides
the underarmour type of shirts Prof X. reccomended and dark colors. I have a bad problem with armpit sweat. I’ll just be sitting in class or driving somewhere and my pits will work up a nice embarassing sweat…

Other than that during cardio such as running I don’t sweat a lot for the first few minutes, then I break out. When i wrestle i get DRENCHED, it looks like I’ve taken a shower after I finish a long match and after practices it looks like I’ve been in a homoerotic wet t-shirt contest.

sweaty people,

My post probably won’t be that helpful, but i used to sweat a lot at the gym and at night. i looked like someone dumped a bucket of water on my head. I always thought it was because i train hard and am well-hydrated. My naturopath informed me that it was a problem, however. The thing is, though, i can’t remember why. It was like the chi of my liver or spleen or some such thing. I honestly don’t understand the man when he speaks. In any event, he cured me in two sessions with acupuncture and poking me and stuff. Now i sweat like a normal person.

So maybe you should try going to a naturopath or traditional chinese medicine practitioner.

In the gym im a very heavy sweater, i did try antiperspirants but aluminum chloride irritates my skin. when i switched to nike Pro/under armor type gear to wick sweat, aside from a few stares it works great. Bizarrely my forearms get excessivly sweaty.

I used to get bad night sweats due to diabetes insipidus, it fluctuates how bad it is,DDAVP nasal spray doses aliviate it.

I am the same way, but along those lines…

Anyone else get excessive knee sweat?

Weirdest damn thing.

Ah my fellow sweaters,

I have always been cursed with easy/heavy sweats.I used to be fat when i was little and i never did,but like the OP the leaner I get the more i sweat,i hate it.I wont even be hot,ill be cold sittin in class,not nervous,get up to leave and feel the armpit of the shirt stick to me and lo-and-behold i have sweat all over the place.I dont mind sweating in the gym,but just walking around not being hot/nervous or w/e and just having it start pisses me off.So like prof x the only thing I have found that works is a undershirt that fits covered with a slightly baggy shirt.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Or these…[/quote]

That chick has more stretchmarks than Prof X and G.O.A.T. combined.

i dont have any advise for you on the sweating.

but i can tell you about some deodorant.

as a hunter, i’m usually in full length clothing, hiking up very large hills with lots of gear.
in sept. when bow season starts, it’s often in the 80’s still…

I use “no scent” stick type deodorant by hunter specialties.

I have no idea whats in it, but i NEVER sweat from my armpits when i’m using this stuff…

perhaps you can see whats in it and buy a similar product.

[quote]CHEKonIT wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Or these…

[/quote]

You’re a dick.

i sweat really badly. i even sweat through my shorts where they will become soaked. how many other people can do that?

Yep I have to wear black shorts.

Fuckin sweaty ass.

[quote]CHEKonIT wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Or these…

[/quote]

What are you talking about? Even if so, a few stretch marks, oh god big deal, that’s what happens when huge breasts, and for that matter muscle and/or fat grows rapidly.

I know and I can understand you, if I was expecting a nice big hot dog (twink style) wrapped in jeans, and instead I am greeted with an amazingly beautiful bust of mammary goodness, I too would be very disappointed. But don’t take it out on the titties you incessive whine ass, they didn’t ask to be so big and yummy.

At my old age of 21, I see very clearly exactly how annoying teenagers are. You’re not a teenager? I wouldn’t believe you or you stopped maturity at 16.

The weather in upstate New York (near Canada) is much better than it is here in the City as I am learning, damn it’s either too humid and ass sweat welcoming or too cold.

Where do you guys live, what kind of temperatures are you dealing with? I have seen women with swamp ass, it’s alarming when those tight black pants have a big wet streak running through the center crack, lol.